Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: Sports Adventure Shooting

Had a lot of fun. Thanks to everyone :)

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Grobbie View Post
    Sorry bout the malfunction Paul,
    Meh! If I'm honest it was all my fault anyway. I knew that I had the wrong front sight post all along. Was too lazy to swop it out and just 'assumed' (made an ass out of me at least) that because she prints sort of on target at 40 metres that it would be fine at 100. Never thought for a moment that at 100m the front sight post would cover more than THE ENTIRE TARGET. Lack of proper prior planning and preparation. All my fault. Doesn't pay to be over confident.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

To all the GS guys and girls I met at SaS, BIG UP! Thank you for a great day.

To Camo762 and his dedicated team, I had the best day ever on a range.

I did not qualify yesterday for level 1, but that just clearly showed all the weak points I need to sort out.

Kobus, sorry about your jacket.
    "Trespassers will be welcomed, and served a light lunch"

Thanks to Paul :) He made sure that my kit was comfortable, that my rifle was set in to shoot at 100 metres and walked with me and made sure that I got through the walk. Would have never got the Level 1 if it was not for him....In looking after me he never got time to check his rifle at a 100 metres...SORRY :)

@ Paul & Hellkitty, you guys are an inspiration....

HK , for how long are Paul's Brownie points redeemable ?
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Funky Town 20 August 2011
    Weather:
    • Clear skies,
    • Flag stiffening breezy,
    • Temps from 5- 20 degrees

This was Funky Town’s most well attended day.

Nine Guys & lady were trying out for level 1 in a addition to two members who were L1 qualified & two who were L3 qualified.

It was going to be an interesting day and busy day.

Set up was done on the day previous, thus we could focus on matters at hand.

Hike & shoot

L1 Results:
    Participant Time for 3.2km hike under 40 minutes Shots on 230mm target, from 100m in < than 4 minutes/shots fired
    Lindzeva 27 (Current fastest time record) 10/30 (Scoped bolt action)
    KV 34 28/40 (Galil, iron sights)
    DvV 34 10/12 (Roni, 9mm @ 50m)
    B3 38 18/26 (LM iron sights)
    HellKitty 39 13/70 (Pink LM6 red dot)

Those who did not make it for L1 it was because of the shooting.
    After 4 minutes of banging away, one humanoid target was completely unstrafffed, the others required one or three hits extra within 30 seconds, however it was not to be.

As an observation based on the previous years experience:
    Most of those who do not obtain level 1 is because of the shooting aspect.

• Either fitness is an issue (breathing etc)
    • Sights are loose or unsuitable for 100mshooting. Most commonly, participant is unsure/unaware as where his rifle printing either due to lack of proper zero or practice.
    • Unfamiliarity of shooting whilst wearing equipment coupled with physical exertion.
    The point is: Know your rifle/ammo & sight combination, get fitter.

Combatives

The level 1 hike & shooting behind us we moved onto our “combatives” .
    This has quickly become unpopular with regulars…….

Basically it’s a 2vs1 grappling/wrestling match which last for 15-30 seconds.

The point is not to pulverise ones opponent into a soggy mush, rather to place him/her under as much pressure as possible.

When the RO calls “clear” the Bad guys have to get clear of the shooter although they may continue to harass the shooter from behind.

The shooter had to place at least 4 shots onto the target.

No striking, choke holds etc and once the shooter has started to engaging the targets then his shooting arms may not be touched nor he be swung around.

It all happens very quickly, so the participants must be AWAKE.

No handgun malfunctions were observed.

Interestingly after 15 loooooong seconds most good guys had gone to ground, and were forced to draw from most unorthodox and uncomfortable positions.

For those whose skill levels us regulars were unfamiliar with, had to start with chamber empty. Everybody had to draw from concealed. Everybody was dressed for EDC.

Each participant had to be a “bad guy" & a "shooter" at least once. Everyone was very dusty & had some sort of scrape. Yes there were torn jackets, bruises & quite a few cuts, adrenalin was pumping & not a few of the participants were sucking big lung full’s of crisp Highveld air.

It is extremely gratifying to see guys & girls giving it all they have got & then on completion, dust themselves off, stop the bleeding & shake hands.

Well done to all of you.

Restraining a BG

By 10h00 it was time to move onto the next exercise.

Forum member 47 & Hoff demonstrated how to detain & neutralise a suspect, (Co- incidentally a topic of discussion the previous week on this forum), then using training knives & guns from supplied by 47 we split into pairs and tried it out.

Soon the range was full of loud shouted commands and not a bit of vloeking.
    The husband & wife team certainly seemed to have practiced this before :->.

Participant then swapped roles and increased the levels of ‘reluctance’ of the BG.

Finally 47 had us do it with Airsoft.
    Most of the BG tried to knife their captor however most got Airsofted at least once before getting a stab in.

In a confined space a BG with a knife is a serious threat.

Essentially one has to create a distance or time gap between yourself & the BG, either through use of space or objects etc.

It was a simply explained & executed drill, but for those of use not familiar with it, was all new.

My grateful thanks to 47 & Hoff for there willingness to share their knowledge & experience. At the very least if confronted with such a situation we are less likely to panic of have a WTF moment.

Knowledge is indeed power…

Vehicle shooting cancelled.

Next on the programme was meant to be vehicle shooting, however given the disparate (and unknown) skill levels of the attendees, coupled with fact that some had hitched a lift to Funky town and thus did not have their own vehicle to use it would have been awkward.

Personally, the only thing more stressful of shooting from within or around your vehicle, is doing so with someone else’s…. for the first time in..... front of an audience

Fire & Moving

Then came the F&M practice. This was done without kit or rifles, moving forward & also moving left or right was practiced.

Everybody then moved to the 500m line.

Two point are worth making:

Three participants opted not to participate as they believed the risks/skill levels required for this was for them not appropriate. My respect to them for making such a responsible call.

Since our July session the veldt has been burnt the range was as flat as snooker table, coated with powder fine, black ash.

After rehearsing the drill dry (with kit & rifles) the first group set off.
    Targets were balloons strung across the right, left & centre of the range.
    The wind was stiff & consequently long shots were not possible without great expenditure of ammo.

Most shots been taken at between 50-25 metres and some at 5.

It was important that the shooter & ensured that the backstop was always behind there target, thus the team leader would have to co-ordinate with his mates to ensure that everything was safe.

It took both groups about 15-20 minutes to cover the ground, lots of stops for reloading or technical issues.

By now most of the participants were looking like Welsh coal miners.
    I am sure Funky Town black soot is being expectorated all over Gauteng as I type.....

Cleaning of F/a

F&M over, those who were still eligible for the L1 had to clean there F/a within 15 minutes to get the patch.

Hellkitty finished in record time of 7minutes (Fastest time for cleaning a semi-auto).

The other 4 participants completed the cleaning in the allotted time.
    Even those who did not qualify, tried it out. Good practice.

Cleaning in a stiff breeze with soot being stirred up made it quiet unpleasant.

Level 1 Awards

Congratulations to Lindzeva, DvV, KV, B3 & Hellkitty for completing the Level 1.

A brief awards ceremony was held, and each awarded the L1 patch.

My apologies to Lindzeva for the admin faux up.

Commiserations & better luck next time to those who did not qualify.
    You guys are good sports & we hope you make a return journey to Funky Town soon.

To all who attended: Thanks for being punctual, exercising good safety discipline & entering the spirit that is Sas.

As always a grateful thanks to BushBoy, Sean & Grobbie for their willingness to get stuck in.
    It is a privilege to work with you guys, could not do it without you’s.

Ciappa_r: We missed you dude!
    Box: Glad you could make it, hope all is well at HQ.

Next session is in September, watch this space.

Cheers
    Camo

Last edited by camouflage762; 22-08-2011 at 08:27.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Thanks again for organising a wonderful day and the nice report above - do need to get quite a bit fitter - but I knew this beforehand. The one interesting point is that I could hardly see the target through my RMR site - this is only the second time that this has happened....When the sun shines into the site at a certain angle it actually lights up and distorts everything (could not even see the front iron sites) - so with Grobbies encouragement I just threw lead down the range and hoped for the best :) It looked like I got the vast majority of the shots on the IDPA target itself but only 13 on the paper plate....this is definetely something to consider when using the RMR Site...

User

It was a honour and a privilige to meet and train with all of you ! Learnt a lot, and had fun in the process to boot, what more can one ask of a training day ?

To all gunsiters who have not done this yet : you do not know what you are missing out on !
    a BIG thanks to Cammo and the rest of the SaS team, you will most definitly see me again.

User

Morning all,

First things first - Big thanks for allowing me to circumvent the agenda two thirds through the day to be able to get to my other shooting appointment - made for a blast of a shooting day!

Thoroughly enjoyed the level 1 and the combatives thereafter! Grobbie - next time......

The restraining exercise will definitely be handy one-day - maybe level one kit needs to add "strepsils"???

The real pain/stiffness only revealed themselves this morning...

B3

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast