Thread: Krupp

User

Default Krupp

Hi Guys,

I inherited a Krupp Side-by-Side Hotgun. The left Barrel was produced in 1937 and the right barrel in 1938, then sometime the factory got blown to pieces in the IIWW. It is still in pretty good condition, except for a few scrathes on the stock. It is still original, no modifications has been made. Have not been able to get to the shooting range for a couple of clays yet.

I am looking forward to do some wing shooting with her.

Does anybody have any experience with the Krupp Shotguns? Also where can get I it valued? In Pta or JHB.

Attached is low resolution PictureNew Image.jpg

Default Re: Krupp

Quote Originally Posted by FCLoretz View Post
    Hi Guys,

I inherited a Krupp Side-by-Side Hotgun. The left Barrel was produced in 1937 and the right barrel in 1938, then sometime the factory got blown to pieces in the IIWW. It is still in pretty good condition, except for a few scrathes on the stock. It is still original, no modifications has been made. Have not been able to get to the shooting range for a couple of clays yet.

I am looking forward to do some wing shooting with her.

Does anybody have any experience with the Krupp Shotguns? Also where can get I it valued? In Pta or JHB.

Attached is low resolution PictureNew Image.jpg

Krupp is the steel mill that made the steel in the barrels, but they did not make the gun.

Banned

Hammer guns were made in the 1800's and some were Damascus steel. I would have this shotgun checked out by an expert to make sure when and how it was manufactured. It might not be safe to shoot new shells in it.

User

If it is nitro proofed, it probably was chambered for the older 2 1/2" (65mm) cartridges.
    Newer shotguns are chambered for 2 3/4" (70mm) or 3" cartridges.
    Some shotgun cartridges have a star crimp to hold the shot in place. On firing the shotshell, this star crimp must open, so the chamber is cut longer to allow for this. The danger is that a 70mm shotshell will fit into a 65mm chamber, but when fired, the crimped part will flare open into the barrel, causing a constriction, which might be disastrous.

User

hi Guys,

Thank you for the info! Is there anybody you can recommend in the JHB or PTA area that I can go to or contact ito having the Shotgun assessed?

I'd take it to the guys at Valley Trading.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

thank you SPP, Spoke to Kevin, I will pop in next week to speak to Bruce

User

Hi FC, I have a Geco hamergun with the name 'Krupp Laufstahl' on the barrel and 'Laufstahl' is fluid steel, meaning it is not Damascus and thus of better quality. Krupp is the steel mill that made the steel for the barrels. This indicates that the gun was made in a period when Damascus barrels were still made.

User

Hi Corrie I am finding it very difficult to find and/or read the markings on the gun, due to the age of the gun. But thank you for the response, I will visit the guys from valley trading