Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default .458 Express. Experience and info

So with the possibility lately of buffalo cows in RSA and Zambia Buffs for cheaper, I have been looking for a big bore rifle.

.375 is a great cartridge and I suppose enough gun, but I want something bigger.

After phoning gunshops from CPT to JHB one thing is certain the bigbore market is healthy and bargains is hard to find.

I would love a .416 Rigby mauser actioned rifle or a krieghoff double .470 NE, however I would then never C the eld again as i would be working 24/7 to pay for the rifle.

Even .375 's is expensive, so I have been thi king of gettin a secondhand .458 winmag and then having it changed/ reamed to .458 express.

Am I missing hidden costs that will make it jut as much as a secondhand .416 rigby rifle?..

http://www.458express.com/

On their website all looks good and PMP has express cases

User

Default Re: .458 Express. Experience and info

Hi Bunny hugger,
    Pop across to bigbore.org and have a look at a few of the posts there re. the 458 Express
    I've also just opened another thread there - http://www.bigbore.org/index.php?opt...9&id=5263#5269

It does definitely look like a good viable option for a good stopping cartridge though! Looking forward to some of the other replies

User

Hi Marshy

Thx. I have used one when I worked for SANparks and rememebered it was a very "easy" shooting rifle and eventhou I don't mind recoil, I have never had a 20 round day with a bigbore.

I have used and love the Krieghoff doubles in .375 and I have handled and seen the .470 NE in action(however I was not offered a shot.......dammit) and these are amazing weapons, but I would be minus a wife and my kidney If I wanted one of these beauty's. I feel that what I have read about the .458 Express seems that it can pack a mean punch and hit the 2300fps + mark.

Bullets are expensive, but cases seem to be available at under R20/ each. I would think that not being a Big 5 hunter and doing a once in a lifetime buff hunt one would probably want to train enough before the hunt to be comfortable with the weapon. The more affordable the reloading of ammo the more one would practice.

Anyway I will be viewing 3 .458 WIN mAG's later today or tom morning so hopefully I can afford something I like, and that can be safely reamed to .458 Express.

I have read on here that gunsmiths wont ream Zastava rifles, but CZ/Brno and others is OK. I will post on here what I can get and then the informed memebers can help me makes a decision.

---------- Post added at 08:31 ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 ----------

cool site !!!! Thx and some reloading info>

If I can get a .458 WIN MAG and get the $ together, how do I go about the licensing???????

Do I get the license, then send it to a gunsmith and change to a Express and then have to re-license, or do I change it to dealer stock of the gunsmith and then do licensing from start for a .458 Express. I have never build/ changed one of my rifles, so a little clueless.

Or .....current owner sends to gunsmith and I just do license for .458 Express, BUT then rifle is not regestered on CFR as a .458 Express??????

User

Ever since yesterday at 13:07 I have had this awkward itchy feeling - Must have .458 express, must have .458 express....

This truly looks like a brilliant caliber, it would be nice to fire one before going through all the trouble of getting one.

What really impresses me is the ballistics, it can push a 300gr bullet at 2700fps and a 400gr at 2400fps. This would make it extremely versatile and worthwhile to take a closer look.

User

Charlie - Like you say one get a feeling.....I could do fine by using the rifle from my one of the PH's or friends, but no for that 0ne Buff I might shoot I want a Big Bore....my son will get a ear full if he had such an attitude.

My Big Bore experience is very limited.

I have used a ,375 double and a BRNO also had a day of hell with a .458 Zastave which kicked me silly as somebody changed to a lighter stock after the original was damaged. I did my Dangerous game qualifictaion at Sanparks with a loaned .458 Express, and the thing I remebered most was how easily the rifle handled and delivered recoil.

User

BH, the way i would go (and which I'm currently looking at), is a stock standard CZ 550 in 458wm, reamed to 458 Express. The size of the action and mag allows for 5 in the mag, which is a big bonus when dealing with things that gore and bite. From there you can leave the rifle as is, or look at semi-customising it? If i go that route, ILL slick up the action, cut the barrel down to 22", restock the rifle, and change the sites and depending on budget, maybe a few other things too........

Banned

For a once off buff hunt any 375 will be good enough. You still have the PH backup. What are you going to do with the rifle after this one hunt?

User

Quote Originally Posted by marshy View Post
    BH, the way i would go (and which I'm currently looking at), is a stock standard CZ 550 in 458wm, reamed to 458 Express. The size of the action and mag allows for 5 in the mag, which is a big bonus when dealing with things that gore and bite. From there you can leave the rifle as is, or look at semi-customising it? If i go that route, ILL slick up the action, cut the barrel down to 22", restock the rifle, and change the sites and depending on budget, maybe a few other things too........
    Thx that sounds like a good plan. 5 rounds???????

---------- Post added at 06:24 ---------- Previous post was at 06:22 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by driepootx View Post
    For a once off buff hunt any 375 will be good enough. You still have the PH backup. What are you going to do with the rifle after this one hunt?
    Nee nee nee moet nou nie soos my vrou klink nie..

I have to agree a .375 will do and probably a better choice for daily use. I am still looking for a rifle so if I find a .375 first then so be it. I am not in the finacial situation that I can buy new so good condition secondhand is more importanat than caliber.

BH,

I am almost in the same situation and have been looking at my own options concerning buying a bigger bore. I do own a 375 but need something than can pack more punch for those one in a million situations. Doing research I also came about to considering the 458 Express as the ballistics is very impressive and the ammunition relatively affordable and available.

Having a 458WM reamed to chamber an Express round is definatley the most affordable option. I also heard that the gunsmiths don't want to convert a Zastava to express but spoke to one that would convert it to a Lott size if you perhaps want to move down to a Lott. I have shot a Lott and know others hunters that is very happy with a Lott.

One other option is that you can have the rifle built on a P14 action. The action is long enough and then you can choose your own wood etc. I spoke to a guy at Mkonto Manufacturing that offered me a very respectable price to have it done. I know they use their own barrels also. I haven't done any in depth search on them. Perhaps someone else can comment on them and their quality of work. You can just google them and contact them if you are interested.

I always say if you throw lead, throw it big!

P.S. If you come accross something at a good price and don't want to take it let me know please!

User

Go the way of the CZ 550 in 458wm, ream it out to 458 Express, and you're in the market of about 15k..... you can always change the stock, cut the barrel back, add a barrel band etc in stages at a later stage or when budget allows

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast