User

Default Firearm Competency Card

If a person has already been granted a firearm licence (actual card has been issued) for a pistol (issued for self defence), but has not yet recieved the competency card, what can/cannot that person do in terms of the use of the firearm? I am asking this because I hear a lot of conflicting information about the role of the Competence Certificate/Card - some say that it's not of any importance anymore, others say that you must have both itesm in your person to carry/use the firearm. Any advise please.

P.S. Lets assume that the individual has documented proof that both items have been approved in the SAPS system.

"Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Banned

Default Re: Firearm Competency Card

A license card and a competency card (SAPS 524 certificate) is not the same thing.

What I read here is that the first poster received his licence - but did not receive a SAPS 524 or competency card.

already been granted a firearm licence (actual card has been issued).....

but has not yet recieved the competency card, what can/cannot that person do in terms of the use of the firearm?
    How the Registrar can issue licenses without competency cards is unfathomable - yet they do.

So what is the point of the SAPS 524 if the Registrar issues licenses without issuing a SAPS 524 first?

User

Morning guys, I have received my license and collected my competency CERTIFICATE. Yes, it is an A4 piece of paper. I asked the Captain (Linden SAPS), whether the competency card is available, and I was told not yet. They will convert it to a card at a later stage.

The competency card is merely for record purposes. When you carry a firearm you only need the licence, permit or authorisation to possess it.

The competency card has no bearing, positive or negative, on possession of a licenced firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    The competency card has no bearing, positive or negative, on possession of a licenced firearm.
    Correct and the point I was trying to make with the link. If you have a licence card , you need nothing else.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle