Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Default Re: Competition VS Defensive shooting

Ah, so there is a set recipe. Hit two (not three, not one), and they will run away or seek cover. So I just have to train for that, then.

Oh, and when they find cover they can insert earplugs and then I seem to be fooked.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

Dick, I don't mean sidle or shift or walk, I mean explosive take off and move fast, whilst drawing and engaging, on may way to either cover or a better position.
    You will find that there are many people here on this forum who have in fact been in real gunfights with real bad guys who shoot back. Most of the badguys have been in multiple shootouts and don't always cut and run.
    I don't claim to be any sort of anything. I just train as best I can at every opportunity, as realistically as I can. If things go wrong in training, such as falling,clothing getting snagged, shots miss etc. We train through it and then try fix what went wrong. Don't get me wrong, I also do dot torture, bill drill, el pres and various other classic drills.

User

I'd say the problem with most competition type shooting and even military type training is that it emphasises an offensive instead of defensive mindset. When you are shooting in a competition, be it target, IPSC or IDPA, you are prepared to fire, mentally and physically, and your priority is to seek out targets, engage them and if at all possible score as many hits as you can, whether limited by time or not.

The same is true of military training. Most weapons training in the military (and often also in police training) is range type seek and destroy exercises, with or without cover and innocents in the picture.

True defensive training is very rare and unless you are the type of person to go into offensive mode immediately on becoming a victim/target, competition shooting will only help with the physical weapons handling side.

My military training was based on the offensive use of weapons with serious destructive capability and although it could be used defensively, defense was normally carried out by either going offensive or running away. I have made up my mind that if I am cornered in a vehicle or my house, I would go offensive and seek out the attackers if at all possible. Anywhere else I would run away while spraying bullets in their general direction.

Obviously competition shooting makes you a better shot, but it does not make you better when your life is on the line - that requires a mental strength and plan which has nothing to do with anything you can practice on a range.
    Last edited by nugs; 20-08-2013 at 18:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    Ah, so there is a set recipe. Hit two (not three, not one), and they will run away or seek cover. So I just have to train for that, then.Oh, and when they find cover they can insert earplugs and then I seem to be fooked.
    Skaaphaas... you are not paying attention. Earplugs must be inserted first. Then the funny walk.

User

I think that's a bit unfair on Dick. Sure, all his advice may not work in the SA situation, but there are some good points in there.

User

The way I see it is that if you prepare yourself that a BG will never run away and in a fight they don't run away, then at least you've prepared for it and expected them not to run away. If you prepare for them and expect them not to run away and they do, then that is great no harm done in you being prepared otherwise. If you expect them and prepare that they will run away after this or that has happened and they don't, then you've put yourself at a major disadvantage.

User

I do agree with both Andy and Pp.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8