Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Knife shoulder 'holster' as carry option

I might be able to see using a shoulder rig with some of them big ol choppers Harm makes , but not with anything approaching a normal sized blade.

Prepare2win...tape may work but it sure ain't the best way to go IMO...I can almost guarantee you it will rip off or tear, etc. and leave you in a lurch one of these days. (using it to prove a concept is differemt, of course) If I liked that setup, I'd have Geoff build me a custom sheath to do the same thing...the boy is amazing with stuff like that.

Speaking of...Harm...we have not been graced with pics of your latest work in a while now...just sayin'.......
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Prepare2win...tape may work but it sure ain't the best way to go IMO...I can almost guarantee you it will rip off or tear, etc. and leave you in a lurch one of these days. (using it to prove a concept is differemt, of course) If I liked that setup, I'd have Geoff build me a custom sheath to do the same thing...the boy is amazing with stuff like that.
    actually I've been using that rig for a few years now and its still going strong. several layers of 2 inch wide cloth backed gaffer tape (its like the Force- it has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the universe together)

I recently tried my hand at making a one piece folded kydex rig. its much slimmer and works well but its not pretty by any reconing

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    actually I've been using that rig for a few years now and its still going strong. several layers of 2 inch wide cloth backed gaffer tape (its like the Force- it has a dark side, a light side, and it holds the universe together)

I recently tried my hand at making a one piece folded kydex rig. its much slimmer and works well but its not pretty by any reconing
    You know who Murphy is, right?

Just askin...
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

You know who Murphy is, right?

Just askin...
    I hear you ikor! Hate that bastid!

I might be able to see using a shoulder rig with some of them big ol choppers Harm makes , but not with anything approaching a normal sized blade.

I'd have Geoff build me a custom sheath to do the same thing...the boy is amazing with stuff like that.
    Ikor, if you look at my posts 1 & 4, I was considering this route to carry a survival knife or back-up blade, which would otherwise be left at home in the safe. ( Concealed handgun / EDC folder or fixed blade, would be taken care of already ) I was thinking light and small and reasonably concealable, perhaps 1" nylon webbing. The size of the knife would be to personal taste of the user. Harm, I would like to see your stuff as well.

P2win, if Geoff makes you a custom sheath for your type of carry, please let me know, as I would also be interested. Would you mind showing a picture of your CS knife out of the sheath or giving the model and blade length. I have a Recon Tanto 7" and a Kobun 5".

Trust me, Beast...Geoff is a personal friend, granted, but that boy can make anything smaller than your average delivery truck out of kydex...he is seriously a freaking wizard at both design and manufacture.

Just a shame there are not enough customers in SA for him to go full time. In the states he would be making more than just a 'good living'.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

P2W your sidekick looks like Kobun
    Anyway, check CRKT Hissatsu, it comes with the kydex loop you want.

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win

Kydex 'paddle' gaffer taped to the original sheath. I plan to remake the whole thing out of one piece of kydex

i've done the shoulder rig thing,and it's uncomfortable,for me anyway.even a merc harness.
    i made a tanto for a client a few years back,9 in blade,about 14 in oal.
    the guy wahted a shoulder rig,so i got a shoulder holster yoke from John Leth and attached the kydex sheath to that.guy was happy.
    Ikor,i've been busy,working on some folders,and should have some pics in a week or so.
    i have about 40 odd wip pics though.
    Last edited by harm; 09-10-2011 at 08:22.
    i take knives to a gunfight

P2W I tried your method... Hissatsu sheath fits Wilderness belt perfectly!
    With golf shirt over it there is no print at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pivo
    P2W your sidekick looks like Kobun
    Anyway, check CRKT Hissatsu, it comes with the kydex loop you want.

User

[QUOTE=wthang;200958]During an attack the most difficult accessing positions (IMO) is that of a cross draw nature.[QUOTE]There might be one or 2 advantages to fixed blade on ashoulder. I think that you would also need a strap around the torso to avoid the knife swinging around.Regarding the quote above, remember that the functionality if a knife is multi dimensional, especially when compared to a firearm.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast