Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Sports adventure shooting 17 September 2011

Sports adventure shooting17 September 2011

Next session is Saturday 17 September 2011, starting at 07h00.

Provisional Programme.

Each session includes a 30 sec feedback
    Time Activity
    07h00-07h30 Set up All
    .07h30-08h30 Level 1
    08h30-09h15 Dot torture (accuracy) EDC/Handgun/100 round
    09h15-10h00 Unorthodox shooting posistions. Back, face down, Falling, strong side, weak side EDC/Hndgun/50 rounds
    10h00-10h45 Vehicle repair/recovery Own vehicle, level 1 kit
    10h00-11h00 Team work & coms Level 1 kit
    12h00-12h30 Demo rifle cleaning All
    12h30-13h00 Clean up & depart

For those who wish to try out for level 1 please email me.

This will be the last chance for level 1 qualification in 2011.
    Cost is R75

************************************************** *************************************

The next level 2 & 3 is provisionally planned for October 22/23 2011 subject to at least 4 participants signing up.

Level 2 consists of 6.4km hike followed by 5 shots from 50m, then move to 100m & shoot another 5 shots all the while wearing L1 & L2 kit.

Par time is 100 minutes

L3 involves the same except you will be sleeping under the stars

Cost is R175.

Email me if you have done L1 & are interested.
    Last edited by camouflage762; 30-08-2011 at 14:01.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

Default Re: Sports adventure shooting 17 September 2011

Good to go for Saturday.

Programme has been altered to accomodate SEVEN blokes who want to try out for Level 1 (and one retry)

Going to be a busy day......

Time Activity
    07h00-07h30 Set up All
    .07h30-08h30 Level 1 8 participants.
    08h30-09h15 Dot torture (accuracy) EDC/Handgun/100 round
    09h15-10h00 BushBoy assessment test Level 1 gear, Rifle
    10h00-10h45 47's Barricade drill Level 1 kit, rifle
    10h00-11h00 Team work & coms Level 1 kit.
    12h00-12h30 Demo rifle cleaning All
    12h30- 13h00 Clean up/clear out
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

What a great day out!

The level one was a lovely way to start any day and the rest proved as much fun and very interesting indeed. Many exercises and drills to test yourself and to make you think - we even had an unexpected drill thrown in to test us all...

Thanks to Camo and the team (not certain of your usernames, but you know who you are) for setting it up and guiding us noobs through it, and thanks to 47 and HDV(?) for making the trek and setting up the barricade drill. Also thanks for introducing a noob to combatives on the spur of the moment, heh-heh!

Fun was had, powder was burnt and lead sent down-range; lessons were learnt and bruises and scrapes were the order of the day, but today I am aware of those and the slight stiffness not with discomfort, but with that inner pride and satisfaction of knowing that you have earned your daily beer in the way it was intended - by the sweat on your brow!

Looking forward to many more...
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Thanks JS4. You certainly earned your beer!

Funky Town.
    17 September 2011.

Temp: 10-26 deg. Clear blue skies & sunny.
    Wind: Very breezy in the morning. Made working with documents a real chore.

Once again it was a treat been on early on the range (6h00). At this time of the year the sun is well up, and the range that was previously blackened with soot from the veldt fire had turned a brilliant green, sprouting little purple flowers.

With 8 participants for the L1, 1 observer & 7 L1 qualified it was going to be an busy day. Fate would make it interesting.

A prayer was said, followed by a briefing & then kit check.
    Participants were dispatched (in batches of four) at one minute intervals & to prevent stacking up on the firing line.
    Many of the participants were connected to the SAPF & had decided to wear their body armour as well.
    This brought the average load-out to about 15-16kg excluding rifle.

Name Load Kg Primary/Cal Sights 3.2km Hike. Par Time 40min Shots fired/hits on target. (In 4min @ 230mm dia target @100m)
    Paul 4kg. Lm6/5.56 Iron (+bipod) 40 16/10 (+bolt change!)
    CJ Shultz 15kg Lm4/5.56 Enhanced 38 22/20
    JS4 3kg Bolt/.22lr Iron 33 10/10! (@ 50m)
    AD Pretorius 19kg LM5/5.56 Enhanced 32! 35/20
    C. Schmidt 16kg LM5/5.56 Iron 34 31/14
    WA v Tonder 9kg 9mm/Roni Enhanced 34 18/10 @ 50m

Thus out of 8 participants, 6 qualified for the L1 Patch. Well done, especially to those who tried out for the second time.

As the grass was recently burnt all participants went prone.
    However from about January onward the height of the grass is forces one to sit or stand.

Whilst checking scores one of the participants collapsed at about the 50 meter line.
    A heart attack was suspected.
    It was decided that it was better to get him to a hospital rather than wait for an ambulance.
    He was loaded into his vehicle & taken to a hospital about 20 minutes away.
    The hospital was alerted to the fact that they had possible heart attack victim inbound.

My grateful thanks to EVERYBODY who assisted at the scene and a very well done to FNFAL for getting him to hospital.
    We received updates as to his arrival at the hospital & his condition.

I am told AVT will be released on Tuesday.

All of us wish him a full & speedy recovery.

Level 1 continued: Rifles had to be cleaned within 15 minutes.
    After this the award ceremony was held as some folk had to leave early.

Training then began with BushBoys Stress test.

It is very physical test done with L1 gear worn.
    Start from 100m then move forward engaging a plate from either prone, kneeling then supine or sitting, finishing with a crawl.
    The common consensus is that crawling sucks!
    It is truly amazing how much it takes out of you physically.

Then a series of barricades had to be used as cover.
    Shooting from right or left of the barricade and having to move backwards saw participants transitioning & making use of Sul.

An observation: Leg rigs for handguns that require one to manually fasten the retention mechanism are no good if you are running about and/or transitioning.

Average times for the test ranged between 2.5min thru to 4.35 min.
    Scores were all in the 50% or lower mark.
    I think this is a very good test & warrants inclusion for future membership.

What needs to be agreed upon is part time & score needed to determine pass/fail as long all safety requirements are met.

Thereafter the range was reset for dot torture (An orange/red or green 27mm diameter sticker) coupled with target recognition.
    This was done at a distance of 7meters.
    Personally I think we could all improve our accuracy. Very few stickers were holed.

Thereafter we did 47’s barricade drill, first with long guns and then with pistols.
    This involved moving forward to “inspect” a yard or room & then on the Ro’s call “MOVE” engage immediate threat whilst moving backwards into cover.
    More targets had to be engaged as per the RO call.

After each session the a “30 seconds” feedback/critique session was held to help each of us learn from the experience.

Second last exercise was shooting from unorthodox shooting positions.
    A participant was dropped onto a mat & then had to recover and engage a target. (Some chose not to use the mat and other missed the mat completely :->)
    The Bigger/taller participants find that their legs tend to point sky ward shortly after impact. Bummer.

Inevitably one ended up either shooting from a supine position or whilst lying on one’s side.
    Shooting whilst lying on your side seems to be the best if you wish to scramble off the X.
    If you are going to shoot over & between your legs then keep them flat down on the ground otherwise-You-Will-Kneecap-Yourself.

By now we were all truly dusty & sweating. So to finish off the day it was decided to do some Sas style combatives. If you want to get your heart rate pounding & the adrenalin pumping quickly, then this is the exercise for you.

Kudos to all. Everybody grappled & wrestled like slippery eels.
    Everyone went to ground before 15 seconds was up.
    My pistol came un-holstered and ended up on the gravel during the one engagements.
    I found this disconcerting, as loosing a F/a in a fight is not a great idea,
    nor is it conducive to safety.
    I have done the combatives many times, yet, this time it came out.
    Either I had not holstered it properly to begin with or the holster is getting ‘worn’.

At about 14h15 packed up & departed by 15h00.

My grateful thank to Bushboy, Ciappa_r, Sean, Box, 47 & Hdv for their input & assistance.

Special thanks to Box & Sean for the donation of the target stands. Much obliged gents!

Thanks as well to Hellkitty for making order out of chaos & Noeline for taking the 700 or so pictures.

A shout out to the “Young Lions” (And also the older ones) from the SAPF who did the level 1.
    It really is assuring to come across the boys in blue who are willing to sweat & test their skills. Stay sharp guys!

Next session is in October & will be the L2 & L3, depending on the numbers.
    At least 4 participants are required to make it a go.
    Hopefully it has rained a lot by then so that the dam is fuller & the mosquito’s bigger……

Cheers Camo

Ps.
    A 1 liter waterbottle with cover pouch was left behind. If you are the owner please contact me.

Could those who did not pay the range fee please make it right.

Please email me camouflage762@gunsite.co.za

Last edited by camouflage762; 19-09-2011 at 07:01.

Congrats guys, sounds like it was great fun!!

User

Once again, an awesome day at the range guys, I’m sold on the SAS idea like you would not believe.
    It was good to see the familiar faces again, and nice to meet some new ones. Learnt a lot, blead a little, came home dirty and dusty, and was sore the following day: a perfect combination! J

Kudos to Camo and his team, you guys hit the mark every time. Saw some impressive moves, and some impressive shots, but must say Paul’s on the fly rifle fix while doing his L1 shoot did it for me.

Thanks everybody, and see you next time!

Well done .
    Interesting to see new names added all the time.
    I was on call for the hospital, so I had to be within 40 minutes' reach.
    Managed to repair all the Boer and Brit falling plates damaged during the firearms festival though.

I am posting this to tell you guys I was with you in the spirit, and not completely disconnected form shooting activities.

Willie Barnard

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

For those who haven't done it in a while (30 years for me), leopard-crawling blows chunks!

And I guess no sporting code is ever mature until they've had their first casevac.

---------- Post added at 09:01 ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by HdV View Post
    but must say Paul’s on the fly rifle fix while doing his L1 shoot did it for me.
    As it says on the cover of The Hitch-hikers Guide To The Galaxy...

Lucky that after HK's extractor broke last month we decided to invest in spare complete bolts for the LM's (to be carried with ALWAYS). Made the repair a pleasure and relatively quick.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Good Morning Guys,
    Thanks for another Awesome day out on the range - Nothing better than the smell of cordite in the air first thing in the morning and Training realistically with like-minded individuals

We are really heading in the right direction with a Great turn-out at 'funky-town' on Saturday morning
    In my opinion the initial test that was 'run' should be included as a test which warrants inclusion for future Membership into SaS. It covers a bit of everything and will ensure that individuals have the requisite amount of skill prior to attempting L1 - Great job Camo and Bushboy.

Respect once again to all who participated in the Combatives exercises at the end of the session - NO ego's just pure intensity and prevailing mindset ...
    When up against two individuals and taken to the ground, fighting TO (and Not FOR) your gun is the concept to follow (and would potentially entail the use of a small fixed blade knife, tactical folding knife etc.), prior to accessing your handgun - Obviously Pressure Dictates Tactics!

BE Safe Guys and great to both meet and see so many new faces on the range :)

Kind Regards,
    RobertC
    www.pdssa.webs.com
    “Practice Peace, Train Chaos!”

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast