User

Default Namibia, land of milk and honey?

I can't help to notice how many parents in my son's school are planning a 'recce' holiday to Namibia this December...

Would not mind getting a few perspectives on Namibia, current and future.

User

Default Re: Namibia, land of milk and honey?

A few of my friends as well as my aunt live in Namibia. I have only visited it once myself (July this year) and really enjoyed it, I honestly haven't got anything bad to say about it. Everyone I came into contact with were friendly, irrespective of race.

My aunt moved to Windhoek a few years ago. She says she will never consider moving back to SA. Crime is very low, but still occurs. My aunts friend was shot outside his house in Windhoek a few years ago, luckily he survived.

One large advantage from our perspective as gun-owners is that licenses are usually approved within a few weeks, the system is similar to our old licensing system. Obviously hunting is excellent and meat is cheap, even in butcheries. We always joke that a Namibians idea of a balanced diet is a steak in each hand.

Personally if I had I could find a good job as an engineer there and/or buy a farm, I would seriously consider moving. Very beautiful country, still very "wild". The population of the entire Namibia is less that that of Pretoria (At least according to Wikipedia's numbers)

I also know that there are big plans to develop Namibia for the international film industry. (See http://www.desertstarstudios.com/) Large oil reserves were also recently discovered off the Namibian coast.

I suspect that Namibia will really begin developing in the next few years
    Last edited by PesVis; 13-09-2011 at 15:23. Reason: Spelling

User

[b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Thanks JS4

User

HI Gamefarmer.

I am thinking seriously of selling my farm here and buying one in namibia. Will still work here in town, think farm in namibia is probably a safer bet than here. very complicated to buy, due to restrictions on foreigners owning land. Also very expensive, as whilst cheap in hectare price (about 50% of SA), the farms are HUGE (nothing under 5000 ha) so expensive. Also most seem to have very dilapidated buildings, infrastructure etc. You also need to find someone in Namibia to run it for you. Almost impossible to immigrate from here to there, unless you start a business (goverment does not consider farming a business), and they check up regurlarly to see not a "front". Distances are tremendous to nearest town, and only windhoek can be considered a city. it is a wonderful place, safe , stable etc but you need to be ready to go there, put kids in boarding school, be self sufficient etc.
    One big "problem" to keep in mind, is that Namibia is no better governed than SA, the only difference is that they dont have so many people. Most people have jobs, a home (often on a farm, tribal land etc- squatter camps are almost unheard of), and as such are undemanding of state resources. (farmers are very cheap on the state)
    BUT if the s--t hits the fan here, then the "demanding, uneducated masses" are going to migrate en masse to Namibia (just as Zimbabweans did to here), and then Namibia will follow the same route as SA.
    My plan is to buy a farm there, work here, holiday there, and make sure everything in SA is owned by the bank and everything in Namibia is paid in full and already off the books.
    PS Farms are getting more expensive by the day( 15% in 3 months) so buy now if you thinking of it
    You are just buying 5 years on SA

User

What about Botswana then?

User

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    Nah, the joof lieg is gonna be in charge there soon!
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Namibia is a beatiful country. I plan a touring holiday next year.

The only problem is that in Africa there is a lot of evidence imo that the honey will not stay sweet and the milk will sour.

User

Quote Originally Posted by curious george View Post
    As far as i remember you cant own handguns there....a deal breaker for me!

Zim on the other hand....apparently get your license in a few weeks if you know who to talk to

User

Quote Originally Posted by gregnell View Post
    HI Gamefarmer.

I am thinking seriously of selling my farm here and buying one in namibia.
    We think alike. Worth investigating further. Pity they don't see farming as a business. We farmers know how to make farming work, and provide decent jobs and security.

I'm just so depressed that we actually have to consider this to start with.

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    Namibia is a beatiful country. I plan a touring holiday next year.

The only problem is that in Africa there is a lot of evidence imo that the honey will not stay sweet and the milk will sour.
    True, but rather the devil I don't know, than the devil I got to know lately.