Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Default Re: 300 AAC BLACKOUT (7,62X35)

Seriously... this round just makes all sorts of sense.

"Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Seriously... this round just makes all sorts of sense.
    Paul, I understand the case for a subsonic .30 cartridge but for rest I still don't quite get it. With no disrespect to anyone at all, it looks to me a bit like a solution looking for a problem. By this I mean - while ackowledging that I am far from the ideal sort of person to judge these things - that I cannot see what practical need it is intended to fulfil that is not already met by existing platform and cartridge combinations. For example, as I understand it, the whole point of the AR15 and 5.56 combination was a very light, portable package that would allow the maximum number of rounds to be carried for use in a low recoil full auto context. As far as I can tell, this starts to dilute that concept. If you are going to move away from the concept, well then why not just use the well tried and proven AK platform and cartridge (which incidentally has proved very versatile in being chambered for different calibres) but which is in any event not really a "man-stopper" (as you yourself can testify)? Why would any military wish to adopt *this* cartridge in preference to any of the cartridges otherwise available to them?

User

the entire point of the 300BLK is to provide the power of the AK round (1) .... in an AR15 formfactor with minimal additional "upgrade" costs (2).
    now, they only have to replace the barrel... instead of an entire new system.

it makes sense that firing a bullet 2-3 heavier at the same velocity, will seriously spoil his day.
    the youtube videos of full auto firing, is also seriously impressive... with minimal muzzle rise. so, "putting as many rounds downrange, possible" principle is still there for the yanks ;)

User

as I understand it, the whole point of the AR15 and 5.56 combination was a very light, portable package that would allow the maximum number of rounds to be carried for use in a low recoil full auto context

Exactly - you get all the attributes of the AR15 with a 30 cal bullet that delivers more energy than the 5,56.

Here is a link to a 2 page thread on Sniper's Hide...where some very, very good precision shooters hang out (along with rsilvers sometime as well) and while it is over a year old, it does address some of the questions being asked here.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubb...Number=2085833

I no longer hunt these days, but if I did, I would feel confident with any of my ARs and a properly constructed 75-77gr OTM or maybe a TSX Bonded in taking game up to 400lb wild hogs (yes, it is done every day year 'round in Texas and Florida as well as some other places) White tail deer are not even a challenge given a good shot...all this at under 150yd with a 16in or longer barrel. Less than optimal shots, or heavy brush, etc, and things change. Still, for me, I would much prefer the 6.8 if I wanted or felt I needed more punch from the AR platform.

A .30 caliber does, however, appeal to lots of guys, and while more or less 7.62x39 ballistics from 14-16in barrels are not exciting, what IS is that these can now be gotten in a far more accurate platform and with bullet designs that are light years ahead of the very few available for the commie caliber.

I also have neither the desire nor a need for a suppressed carbine, but for those who do...or think they may...the .300BLK seems to be a good way to get a heavy bullet .30 caliber to be quiet in a small package.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post

Exactly - you get all the attributes of the AR15 with a 30 cal bullet that delivers more energy than the 5,56.
    Not just energy but penetration capability, and that interests me more than anything else.

Thanks lads. I appreciate the additional input. Taken the various answers as a whole, I can kinda see the light now. Simple conversion and "far more accurate platform and with bullet designs that are light years ahead of the very few available for the commie calibe".

User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderin' Zero View Post
    Thanks lads. I appreciate the additional input. Taken the various answers as a whole, I can kinda see the light now. Simple conversion and "far more accurate platform and with bullet designs that are light years ahead of the very few available for the commie calibe".

Another important factor imo is the fact that you only need to buy an upper in 300BLK if you already have an AR. This will allow instant conversion from 5,56 to 300 if it is something you want or need.

User

isnt an upper like 75% of the price anyways? lol
    wouldnt it be easier to get another barrel? im assuming the second upper would borrow the optics from the original one anyways, so you'll have to re-zero anyways... after swapping a barrel out or changing the upper?

if the second upper has its own optics too.... then simply getting another upper (incl optics) would be 95% of the price, lol.
    can just as well get entire new rifle then.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    isnt an upper like 75% of the price anyways? lol
    Bout 66%.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast