Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default WOOT! New Smokepole!

Picked this one up yesterday. Less than 300 rounds fired thru it. Done by Joe Bonitz of Yost-Bonitz fame. It is the same package as the old YoBo 1* guns. A serious and yet not too fancy fighting pistol. Once I get those baby shid yellow / green grips off and exchanged for some proper wood or black micarta it will be 'just right' ;D

The 1* (one-###-to-risk) package was something that started at Yost-Bonitz and the idea was to create a no frills, dead nuts reliable fighting gun. Here is the list of work

-Deluxe trigger job with proprietary long aluminum trigger and tool steel sear
    -High cut and bobbed hammer to prevent bite
    -Novak Lo-Mount combat sights
    -Tool steel slide stop
    -Extended thumb safety, dehorned and blended
    -Lower and flare ejection port
    -Serrate front strap in point pattern, 20lpi
    -Complete dependability package including Wilson Bulletproof extractor, tune ejector, polish feed ramp, throated barrel, polished breach face, polished catridge pick up rail, chamfer firing pin hole, polished chamber and ream if neccesary
    -Match grade bushing
    -Barrel crowned flush with bushing
    -Complete dehorning job
    -Bobbed and beveled GI beavertail, every bit as comfortable as a normal beavertail
    -Re-bluing
    -Wolf Spring set
    -Soft case
    -3 Novak 8rd mags tuned for reliability with the gun
    -1* logo etched on the slide
    -VZ Diamondbacks, desert tan
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Default Re: WOOT! New Smokepole!

Holy crud! confused0068 That is a beauty!!! nice one bud happy0065

User

Very nice happy0065. Please keep me in mind when the gun is looking for a new owner hpy180

IKOR, i do not mean to pry, but that must of cost the price of a precision rifle? any hints as to the Dollares spent on that little pistola...

I only ask bec. if i ever come accross its peer, i wanna know how much i should be hackling toward...

Quote Originally Posted by andy_760901
    IKOR, i do not mean to pry, but that must of cost the price of a precision rifle? any hints as to the Dollares spent on that little pistola...

I only ask bec. if i ever come accross its peer, i wanna know how much i should be hackling toward...
    The kid I got it from bought the pistol new (Springfield GI Model) for around $500US and sent it to Bonitz, who charged him something like $1200 more for the parts and the work. I know the kid (20 year old) and knew he would change his mind sooner or later, so put in 'first dibs' for it, never really expecting him to call within the first few months after getting it back. I deliberately 'low balled' my offer of a new G19 and some cash in hopes he would keep a pistol he will kick himself later for ever having gotten rid of, but you know the impetuosity of youth. I need this one like another hole in the head but I think John Moses himself may have visited in my sleep and spoken to me because he took the offer. Trust that I do not have nearly so much in it as he did.

I have seen some very nice GI 1911A1s in SA and some Series 70 or earlier Colts too. The military slides and parts are a bit soft but only a dedicated competition shooter will ever have issues with that. Starting with one of them, you should be able to find a good 'smith inside SA who could properly fit a match bushing and install an extended safety, good sights and tune the gun...parts can be ordered from Brownell's. Toss some grip tape on the front strap and recontour the hammer / grip safety tang and you should have something very similar at a much lower cost IF you can get into the base gun cheap. Refinish can be postponed with some 44-40 cold blue to touch up the bare spots for a while, or you could use something like the Brownell's Baking Lacquer after having the parts bead blasted. get some good mags and away you go!
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Sweet blaster ikor. Congrats. Do the 8 round Novak mags work well in your experience?
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

Quote Originally Posted by Thorkind
    Sweet blaster ikor. Congrats. Do the 8 round Novak mags work well in your experience?
    I have never used any of the Novak mags so this will be my first 'cruise' with some. The best new mags on the market now are supposedly the Tripp Cobra mags but I have also not tried any of them either. The reason why is that for as long as Bill Wilson and Bill Rogers (while known as 'Wilson' mags, Bill Rogers co designed them and has always made the internals...still does) have been making their magazines, I have had great luck with them. I have several that must be nearing or past 20 years of age and still work fine...original springs and all. But...

I trust only 7 round magazines with my life. The 8 rounders are getting better and perhaps the Tripp or Novak or the new Wilson ETM mags will finally make the 8 round mag viable for serious SD use, but while I have several Wilson and McCormick 8 rounders I will not use them for that. Interesting to note that when they spec'd out the MEUSOC 1911's they required Wilson 7 round mags only be supplied...

Over time, the springs in the 8 rounders weaken if left loaded...and unless they are for a game gun there is no reason not to leave them loaded. The first clue is that they begin to fail to lock the slide back intermittently, but after that they will start to give feeding problems. These are not issues with good 7 round mags, so I just carry an extra spare and use them. I am, however, going to try a few of both the ETM and Tripp mags and see what the results are.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Nice ;D you just have to love that 2nd amendment thing

User

Ikor if you feel like throwing that old fashioned outdated relic away I will dispose of it for you as a favour ;D

Seriously though very nice congrats.

Shot about 300rd of good PMP ball and 50rd of 230gr Ranger T thru it this morning...flawless and hits right where you point it at 25yd or less...of course, now I have to clean it, but I am more than happy with the relic, thanks. ;D
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast