Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 x 57

User

Default 7 x 57

I love my .270 but sometime she causes too much meat damage and I am not sure she is right for the really big buck - the monster Kudus and Mr Eland. My barrel is getting tired too and I am thinking of two options:
    1) put on a new .270 and move on as before.
    2) convert to 7 x 57 and shoot everything!

If I used option 2 then I would run two loads; 130gr for small-medium game and 175gr for big game and closer shooting. this rifle I would give to my son when he turns 21 in 7 yrs time and I would continue with my planned 300H&H build for myself.
    The 7x57 is all too often ignored as it is seen as too slow (I disagree with this) but it is a classic evergreen! Does anyone out there own a 7x57? What type of range do you hunt at and how does it really perform in the field?

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Default Re: 7 x 57

Hi Dave, I wouldn't use the 7x57 on Eland, but she should be just fine for Kudu and Wildebeest. If you want to go for Eland get a 9.3 or a 375.

User

7 Years time, i would buy the 300H&H now and when the time comes buy him his own rifle. The 270 have got the 7x57 beat in every way except the 175 grainers, and people who worry about meat damage could also use 150gr with a lighter load. In my opinion life is too short to leave dreams for later, plan your 300H&H now, only my opinion.

User

Cordite - why not on an Eland? The penetration of the 7x57 with the heavy bullets is legend!
    Messor - you are right - the 300H&H is going ahead no matter what!

Banned

Get the best of everything and get a 7x64. You can replicate the 7x57 and perform like the 270. With the 175 grainers youare in 30-06 country. Ammo is available from PMP. I love mine and I will happily take on an Eland with premium bullets.

User

I've been using a 7x57 for the past 22 years, about 12 years ago my wife decided it was her rifle but she still let me use it. I have loaded bullets from 120 gr to 175 gr. Currently I'm using 154 Hornady Interbonds @ 2600 fps. I regularly use this load for hunting out to around 300m and once you know the trajectory this is not a problem (you do need a good rangefinder). We've taken duiker, steeenbuck, mountain reedbuck, springbok, impala, bushbuck, blesbuck, fallow deer, red hartebeest, black- & blue wildebeest, gemsbok, kudu and warthog with this rifle.
    This year, so far, we have taken 99 animals ranging from springbok to blue wildebeest for rations using this rifle. The longest shot was 311 metres (springbok), the closest 7 metres (warthog) It is suitable for any antelope smaller than eland (I'd rather use my .300 win mag when going after eland, especially an old bull) however if it were my only rifle I would use it on eland provided I loaded Barnes TSX or similar bullets. The 7x57 is easy to shoot and is very forgiving as far as bullets are concerned due to its low muzzle velocity.

Is it better than the 270 or the 7x64? No, it isn't. Is there anything I'd hunt with these two calibers that I would not hunt with the 7x57? No there isn't.

User

Quote Originally Posted by TStone View Post
    I've been using a 7x57 for the past 22 years, about 12 years ago my wife decided it was her rifle but she still let me use it. I have loaded bullets from 120 gr to 175 gr. Currently I'm using 154 Hornady Interbonds @ 2600 fps. I regularly use this load for hunting out to around 300m and once you know the trajectory this is not a problem (you do need a good rangefinder). We've taken duiker, steeenbuck, mountain reedbuck, springbok, impala, bushbuck, blesbuck, fallow deer, red hartebeest, black- & blue wildebeest, gemsbok, kudu and warthog with this rifle.
    This year, so far, we have taken 99 animals ranging from springbok to blue wildebeest for rations using this rifle. The longest shot was 311 metres (springbok), the closest 7 metres (warthog) It is suitable for any antelope smaller than eland (I'd rather use my .300 win mag when going after eland, especially an old bull) however if it were my only rifle I would use it on eland provided I loaded Barnes TSX or similar bullets. The 7x57 is easy to shoot and is very forgiving as far as bullets are concerned due to its low muzzle velocity.

Is it better than the 270 or the 7x64? No, it isn't. Is there anything I'd hunt with these two calibers that I would not hunt with the 7x57? No there isn't.
    Thanks - I can't argue with this. It also tells me to hang on to the .270!

User

Hi Dave

I am a big fan of the 7x57 Mauser- maybe all sentimental - but

I bought a Musgrave L98 in 1993 and hunted almost everything Southern Africa has to offer with it - including lion, eland, kudu, blouwildebees, etc. I use to load 160 gr Sierra bullets which was exceptionally accurate -5 shot group less than 15mm all the way - if I did my part. After about 8000 shots it was re-barreled with a Krieger 9 twist nr 3 profile, basically the same profile as the original Musgrave.

The only gong on my farm is at 452m -(13cmx13cm) and once you get to now the trajectory, it becomes fairly easy. I am now busy with load development for Nosler 160gr Accubond - was on special @ Safari & Outdoor.

At some point (about 7 years ago) I realized that only the 7x57 ended up as my companion in the hunting areas, so I got rid of the 243 Win, 7x64, 270 Win, 338 Win and 30-06. The 7x57 was all I needed.

Earlier this year I hunted Eland, Gemsbuck (3) & and 4 other smaller species. The longest shot was @ 252m (Gemsbuck) - all one shot kills - perfect performance. You dont need anything else. Obviously a quality premium bullet and good shot placement are of paramount importance.

Just stay away from PMP cases - found them differing in weight by more than 25 grains and forming doughnuts - pity Lapua not (yet) manufacturing them - Winchester brass however gives good results with proper case prep.

I am now busy with a new project - 7x57 with RSA Lyttleton action and a Hart SS bull barrel - cant wait for the results - I will post it in due course.

Lastly, I am not aware of any person who got to know his 7x57 well and then change it for another caliber afterwards. It does grow on you. There are other calibers that faster, etc, etc (and mostly they all have there good qualities) but the caliber balance in terms of accuracy, long/medium/short range bullet performance (high BC for long range), quality of bullets available, low recoil, versatility, availability of components, etc is unrivaled.

Whatever you choose, enjoy - at the end of the day its you who are pulling the trigger!

Cheers

User

I love the fact that every time someone ask the question "what about this calibre", we just tell him what we think is better. While even better is the fact that a cartridge designed in 1892 still does the job all the others does, and if some smart oke does not invent the personal laser rifle soon our grandchildren will use it. (comes down to personal choice doesn't it)

User

Quote Originally Posted by dave schenck View Post
    Thanks - I can't argue with this. It also tells me to hang on to the .270!
    In a perfect world I'd have a .270 with 130/140 gr bullets for long shots and a 7x57 with 160 gr bullets for short range work. And a .300 mag and a .375...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast