User

Default New rifle tweak and load advice

HI Gents

I am waiting for my Howa Varminter in 308 Win, 24" heavy barrel, 1/12 twist and would like to glean some advise from the more knowledgeable crowd.

1. Sending it to the gunsmith to have the action bedded and the action blueprinted, squared and lapped....etc. This has been the advice of some accuracy inclined folk to get even more accuracy from the standard rifle. Yes/No/crap? (what actually happens when the action is "blueprinted"?)
    2. Looking to only shoot factory ammo next year, get to know the rifle and get comfortable with it. Need 2 loads please, one for hunting (Springbuck size to Bluewildebeest) and one for target shooting (SAHunters varmint shoots etc). Now I know that it won't be the most accurate with factory ammo but that's fine for next year. I like the 150 to 155gr weights.
    3. For reloads can anyone suggest the best loads for hunting (I was thinking 150g Hornady SST at approx 2 900 - 2 950 fps, good BC, decent ballistics) and 155g Lapua Scenar at approx 2 800 fps for target work, or maybe Berger VLD but heard they can be very finicky to reload for).

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

regards,

User

Default Re: New rifle tweak and load advice

Hi 243Heavy,
    Yes to 1 - blueprinting or trueing the action and bedding it into the stock (preferably pillar beiing) will give you a solid foundation to start with. The blueprinting will ensure good square contact between the locking lugs and lug recesses and should go a long way in giving you consistent accuracy.
    While the rifle is at the gunsmith let him polish the trigger as well.
    2) I prefer to use one weight bullet in a rifle - doing so will allow you to become intimate with the bullet trajectory and improve your shot placement, probably the most important factor in shooting/hunting. The 1:12 twist ratio works very well with bullets in the 150gr weight class.
    If you are going to be using factory ammo, do yourself a favour and buy Winchester, Sako or Remington ammo. Stick to one brand. The brass will do well for reloading. Sellior&Bellot ammo is ok, but I found that the extractor groove on the Eastern European (S&B, Privi Partisan etc) made ammo varies in thickness and will give you hassles when reloading cos some of them won't fit into the standard shellholder.
    3) Hornady SST (Super Shock Tip) is very destructive and will give you a lot of meat damage. What I do is use the SST to work up a load and then substitute them with Hornady Interbond for hunting. The bullets are basically identical (SST has a cannelure ring, Interbonds don't)- they have the same BC and bullet ogive and the Interbonds are classed as a premier bullet because the lead core is bonded to the jacket and won't break up so easilly, leading to less meat spoilage.
    2950 fps is possible from a 28-30" barrel,but from a 24" barrel you are running near maximum (maybe even over) pressure and I doubt you will get good accuracy and your brass won't last very long. 2800 fps is probably closer to a more realistic speed. Keep your target & hunting loads at the same velocity - same trajectory which you can become familiar with- better shot placement.
    Last edited by THOMAST; 11-12-2010 at 11:28.

243 Heavy,
    I agree with Thomast's suggestions / comments.

In the bushveld I load 220gr Hornady RN at 2250fps, accurate with good penetration, virtually no meat damage.

The 155gr bullets, Barnes, SST, Palma HPBT run 2800fps out of my 26" barrel and are way to fast/destructive in the bushveld. The Palma shoots well/ accurately out to about 800m then it starts running out of steam.

The 165 / 168 gr bullets at 2700fps are great for longer range shooting at the bigger plains game.

For 800m plus shooting you should look at the Sierra 175gr Match King's, they hold velocity best and shoot extremely accurately.

You will have to play around with loads, seating depths, etc., each rifle is an individual and has its own preferences. Part of the joy of reloading!
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

Thanks gents, I agree, I would also like to keep one velocity between the hunting and target load to aid consistency and know the round. What sort of velocity can I expect from the 24" barrel and 150/155g loads? That is, while not blowing up the action and not having to throw away the brass after every load. 2 800? 2 850?
    Have you tried the Nosler Accubond? About the same price as the Interbond.

User

Just my 2c

What the guys are telling you is correct ito reloading , but I have to disagree with TOMAST in that he specifies which factory ammo you should use at first. It is a known fact that each individual rifle has its likes and dislikes. Go out there and buy yourself 4 to 5 (or as much as you want) different packets of factory ammo of the same weight and see which of those your rifle likes the best by shooting at least 2 x 5 shot groups with each. You will be amazed that the "cheapies" are sometimes more accurate in your specific rifle.

Use them until you get involved in the very mazed but fulfilling world of reloading! Then the questions will start to flow and I would suggest in the meantime you buy youself 2 or 3 books on reloading and read them all 2 or 3 times

Most factory brass so collected can be carefully prepped and will shoot better that we can! But soon, as a reloader, you will not be satisfied with them and get yourself Lapuas

Good Luck!!

User

Old forum but isn't a Howa with Hogue stock standard with pillar billet beds?