Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 7 x 57

User

Default Re: 7 x 57

Klippies - you are on the path I want to follow. Convert .270 to 7x57. It will serve my son till his last day - long after I have gone! The 7x57 is looking increasingly like the way to go. I will, of course, still build my 300H&H - life is too short just to dream!

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by klippies View Post
    Thx CC, is it the same if you change the calibre? Say from .308 to 7x57?
    I think so.

User

Klippies - I think it is something like this:
    You buy a new barrel and apply for the licence to alter the caliber. While it is all in the pipeline you can still shoot the old caliber (in other words the rifle as it is) until work starts on the new one and the barrel is scrapped. Once approval is given by the Police then the gunsmithing work can start. It takes the same length of time as a new application but that appears to be speeding up lately.
    I am certain this is close to being correct

User

Thx Dave

User

Had very good results with Claw 160 grain .270. They also make a 180 grainer for the .270 which would be interesting if you can get it to stabilise.

I achieved excellent accuracy with 53 gr S385 behind a Claw 160 gr, anda mv of 2,693 fps. Quite potent.

Not knocking the 7x57, and I would love to have one. But the .270 punches well above its weight too.

User

I have a 270 and a 9.3.

I dont have a 30 06. If i had to choose one, and was limited to one rifle, the 30 06 offers much more vesatility.

You can load 220 grainers and are in 318 Rigby territory, which served Africa's Pioneers very well and you can load down to 130, but can duplicate 270 loads with a 150 grainer.

I am a dyed in the wool 270 fan, but a 30 06 is very versatile.

But its true, the man behind the rifle is what counts.

I would rather shoot an Eland with a heavy for weight caliber bullet, such a 7 x 57 with a 175 grain bullet, rahter than a 300 win mag, with a 130 grainer.

Sectional density and moderate velocity is the key words here.

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
    I would rather shoot an Eland with a heavy for weight caliber bullet, such a 7 x 57 with a 175 grain bullet, rahter than a 300 win mag, with a 130 grainer.

Sectional density and moderate velocity is the key words here.
    I would rather shoot an eland with a 380gr Rhino out of my 375H&H, but a 300gr should do fine too

User

My old friend and hunting partner takes everything up to Kudu with his 7x57. Fantastic caliber. Awesome penetration. For bigger stuff he uses his 375 H&H.

At the end of the day, what matters is that you hunt with what you are comfortable, and which will secure a good clean kill. If this is all achievable within your personal hunting ethic, what more can a man ask for?

I personally like heavy slow bullets and thus my advice will always lean towards that, especially on Eland which I've hunted numerous times. Because I like skinning and working the meat I can vouch for the heavy bone structure. With proper shot placement the heavy bones can be avoided, but we are only human. After a heavy trek up a mountain with Zebra 'lookouts' your chances for pin-point shot placement diminishes a little. Hence my choice on heavy slow bullets. It just makes my chances of having fresh Eland liver on the coals, just so much better.

User

Hey game farmer - shut up already about fresh liver! I am work and you are making my seriously "lus"! Ha ha - roll on winter!

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    I would rather shoot an eland with a 380gr Rhino out of my 375H&H, but a 300gr should do fine too
    I am glad you agree about the sectional density and moderate velocity.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast