Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    User

Default Saiga M3 EXP01 7.62x39 First impressions (pic heavy)

Hi there

Recently I obtained a Saiga, model M3 EXP01 chambered for 7.62x39, licenced for dedicated sport shooting (SADPA - 3gun). I always wanted to own an Ak47, and this is probably the closest I will ever get to the real one. My Saiga was manufactured in 2002.

Background Information about the Saiga
    The Saiga range of rifles is manufactured by the Russian IZHMASH factory. It's probably the largest and oldest Russian arms company. They are responsible for manufacturing most of Russian military small arms, including the AK47 and AK74. The Saiga is the civilian side, producing only semi-auto weapons.
    The Saiga M3 EXP01 is based on the AK47 platform, kitted out with glass fibre reinforced polyamide collapsible stock. Most of the internals are from parts taken from the AK47. To make it legal for sale to the civilian security industry, some changes were required. For a complete list of differences between the Saiga and the AK47, go to http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/GunSaigaVsAk

Below is a photo of a fully field stripped Saiga.

A Close-up view of the cleaning kit, which conveniently is stored inside the rear of the stock.

The two black polymer 30 round mags which comes standard with the rifle, is mechanically limited to 10 rounds, until you remove the spacers inside them (takes about 2 minutes per mag)

I know for a fact that most of you would want to know if a standard AK47 mag will fit inside the Saiga? The short answer is no, but it can be easily modified to fit.
    The following process describes what needs to be done in order for a standard AK47 mag to fit into the Saiga.
    Here is a pic of the steel AK mag, next to the Saiga mag.

Take a steel file and remove about 1mm from the rear of the mag catch on the mag itself.
    Below is a pic showing where I removed material from the mag catch on the top mag. This is needed to lock the mag in place.

On the Saiga, the bullet guide forms part of the mag. The AK mags does not have a bullet guide, so a bullet guide needs to be installed.
    For information on how to install a bullet guide, go to http://www.cross-conn.com/Saiga_Conversion/step_8.htm
    Below are two pics. The first one is without the bullet guide, and the second one is with a bullet guide installed. The manufacturing of the bullet guide can be done with a hammer, pipe, file, belt sander, M4 tap, 3.5mm drill bit, and an M4 bolt. it took me about 2 hours of work. The bullet guide is needed to prevent FTF's. Using the AKmag and NO bullet guide caused my Saiga to mis feed about 25% of the rounds. I have tested mine, and it works like a charm.

The standard iron open sights is calibrated to 300m. I have tested it at 300m and I managed to actually hit a 300x300 metal plate, standing @300m.
    The ejection process does indeed ding the cases, but this is to be expected. It also does not have an influence on the reloadability of the cases.
    Below is a pic of some reloaded bullets. The two on the left are brass, and the two on the right are steel cases. The fire without problems. I reload using a Hornady Interlock 123grain bullet, behind 21.5grains of S265 for a chronied speed of about 2250ft/sec. It cycles perfectly and is fairly accurate.

Firing the weapon is as can be expected, GREAT FUN, and we even invited a 16 year old girl with us to the range. Needless to say, she enjoyed it immencely.

The Saiga does come with a tactical mount on the side of the receiver, so optics and torches can be mounted onto the gun.
    Below is a pic showing the side mount.

It however does not have any form of muzzle break, which causes the muzzle to rize and move off target after each shot. This I will remedy soon.
    I do not have any combat tactical experience in rifles, so I will let an expert in the field write the range report from a tactical point of view.
    Meanwhile, I love my Saiga!!!!!

Last edited by FrankH; 01-12-2011 at 23:36. Reason: NOT S225 as posted

User

Default Re: Saiga M3 EXP01 7.62x39 First impressions (pic heavy)

Nice piece you have there!

User

Thanks for the great review.

please take a photo of the muzzle from the front showing your muzzle crown. I want to see if the 2002 models were lucky enough to have the threaded barrel underneath the Front sight block cover to facilitate the fitment of a muzzle brake. I have already purchased the muzzle brake and side mount optic device...just need my rifle now :)I also did not know you could reload the steel cases, I though this was impossible because of them being steel and that they are burdan primed? Please offer some insight here.Cant wait for mine!!! thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Scuba Steve; 14-11-2011 at 07:47.

User

Nice!! Thanks for all the info!!
    I also would like to know if the cases are formed differently after you fire them? Some of the US model Saigas change the form of the spent case in order to see the difference between an AK47 and the Saiga rifles.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    please take a photo of the muzzle from the front showing your muzzle crown. I want to see if the 2002 models were lucky enough to have the threaded barrel underneath the Front sight block cover to facilitate the fitment of a muzzle brake. I have already purchased the muzzle brake and side mount optic device...just need my rifle now :)I also did not know you could reload the steel cases, I though this was impossible because of them being steel and that they are burdan primed? Please offer some insight here.Cant wait for mine!!! thanks for posting.
    I have not removed the "sleave" from the front of the muzzle to see if it is actually threaded or not. As far as I can tell, it's not threaded underneath.
    Reloading steel cases is not recommended. It resizes into the sizing die with extreme force, and is propably damaging to the die itself. Removal of the Berdan primer can be done with water. Resize the case, fill with water, seat an FMJ into the case, spent primer is expelled below, extract bullet, resize.

---------- Post added at 08:52 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bandit View Post
    Nice!! Thanks for all the info!!
    I also would like to know if the cases are formed differently after you fire them? Some of the US model Saigas change the form of the spent case in order to see the difference between an AK47 and the Saiga rifles.
    I was also worried about the "step case" feature, but mine does not have that feature, and the empty case looks like it should, without the Russian "step" to ID it as being fired by the civilian Saiga.

removing a burdan primer with water...

now that, sir, is just effing brilliant!!! I hadnt thought of that!! and here I was going to build an intricate tool... Thanks!!

User

If the extraction of the bullet afterwards is tricky, here is a tool:

User

Mic, well done and a nice review!
    Last edited by DS; 14-11-2011 at 10:39.

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Scuba Steve , also just waiting for CFR. As a matter of interest what muzzle brake and mount did you buy. Much appreciated.

Great review Nic, looks awesome.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast