Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4
    User

Default Re: Saiga M3 EXP01 7.62x39 First impressions (pic heavy)

My Saiga is much more accurate than I am. I need to get my wife to help me zero it.

Hi there, I am looking at getting my 1st firearm. I am currently 16, and I am going to apply for a dedicated hunters/shooters or sports shooter's licence and I want to apply for a semi automatic rifle because I like the feel of the semi automatic rifles quite a lot. I've been doing my research such as looking on guntree, and several other websites to see firearms and their general prices. Also just checking the benifits of the calibers and models. recently I had fired an AK 47 and I really enjoyed it. so I had thought that it might be the correct firearm for me. I already know that AK variants have unmatched durability and are really good for just shooting 1000's of rounds through, which is what I plan on doing with it at the local shooting ranges (might be costy for me, but worth the money). I also then looked at what different kinds of AK 47's there are and what munifacturers there are. I came across Norinco and SAIGA, personally I liked both, but I only recently found out about SAIGA ak variants and I have fallen inlove with them. I do have a few questions about them, the converting of the magazines, is that legal? can I take it to a gunsmith and let him/her do it for me? what's the ammunition limit after you get dedicated status? (I know that it removes the 200rd limit). Does SAIGA make drum mags? are drum mags legal/easy to find? How expensive are drum mags/normal 30 mags. I live in cape town and the only shop I really know about is City Guns and I believe they sometimes do have the ak's and saiga ak's in stock. What would I have to do/say in an interview to prove that I am fit to posses a firearm. And also, where can I find any sights/scopes to fit the saiga since ak variants tend to have their scopes mount on the side rather than the top of the reciever. as well as where can I find ammo, and do gunshops have the brand called brown bear? I am guessing that hunting with an AK is legal depending on what game farm you visit since it is a 7.62x39 and it does have the stopping power to take medium game down, I will just be looking at springbuck, but I want to shoot my 1st animal with my own firearm instead of borrowing one, it's something that I just set as a goal. And what kinds of bullets do we have for 7.62x39? I hear that FMJ's are common as they are military surplus, but I am looking at hollow points and hunting rounds as well, I dont know if FMJ rounds are really suitable for hunting. sorry for the long amount of questions but I would love to hear some answers.

User

You'll be hard pressed to find a farm that will allow you to hunt wih an AK. Legally IIRC the are two provinces you can hunt with a semi but getting it right is a different matter.

The Saiga can take drum mags after a modification. They are around and cost around R1500 the last time I checked. The modification can be done yourself but getting a smith to do it is a good idea, don't want to mess up a rifle in SA. The drum mags are of limited use in most sports.

The Saiga is as reliable as any other semi rifle. In total round count you may be better off with some American made AR platforms, but the cost is the deciding factor there for you. At R6/shot are you able to shoot enough ammo to wear out most rifles?

Maybe wait a couple of years, get some trigger time on different systems and make sure it is what you want, not what is "cool".

There are plenty of scope options for them. From Russian scopes which direct mount on the side rail or railed mounts that allow putting western optics on, railed replacement parts to attach optics or specific mount options to direct mount the optics.

I have not seen Brown Bear but we do get military grade Norinco ammo from China and hunting grade ammo from the USA. The hunting ammo may not work correctly in a Russian/Chinese semi.

User

Having DSS does not limit the amount of rounds you may have. There is no magazine capacity limit in South Africa. A Drum mag might look "cool", but the weight of 75 rounds in 7.62x39 will limit mobility and its also bulky. Not very practical.

User

Can you get DSS at 16? I have no idea - I thought the age limit (baring special circumstances) for a license was 21, but if you do qualify for those 'special circumstances', can you then also get DSS?

I'd hate to think of the costs of routinely emptying drum magazines....

User

It is possible, but you must start to shoot and participate in the Sport of your choise. Get your credits, get your status and then start with your motivation. Maybe you are one of the lucky ones. Clubs in Cape Town, Falsebay in Fishhoek, Kraaifontein, Somerset West, CPPC near Tampon Tower.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4