Default Olympic Arms K23B "Stubby" AR 15

Hi all,

So I've been watching all the episodes of Stargate SG-1. I have every single episode, including stargate Atlantis and the three feature films as well.

Anyway, a particular assault rifle caught my eye recently. Reason being it had one of those magazines that is used in video games (I know I know. I'm from the gaming generation what can I say) that denotes infinite ammo (i.e. usually the number "8" lying horizontally which is the symbol for infinity). So with the rifle pointing at you, you'll notice the two drum magazines on each side of the weapon.

I'm not sure if such a magazine style actually exists (SG-1 is after all Science Fiction) but I would assume that it holds a large amount of ammo. Perhaps 100 rounds?

Anyway so I looked it up on the net and found it to be based on the K23B "stubby". I've tried to find some decent information on it but "the google" seems to be weak with me today. So I was hoping one of you guys could shed some light on the "stubby".

If you're interested, a picture of the fictional weapon Major Carter uses in the show (Called the "Micro 16 assault rifle" or the "Carter Special") can be found on the link below:

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Micro_16_assault_rifle

There are actually quite a number of interesting weapons in the Stargate franchise although many of them would be fictional. I know there has to be at least one other SG-1 fan around here somewhere :)

User

Default Re: Olympic Arms K23B "Stubby" AR 15

[b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

Popular name is "Beta Mag".

http://betaco.com/cmag_design_operation.asp

The short barreled AR rifles are generally called a SBR = Short Barreled Rifle.

AR with 7.5" barrels are popularly referred to as PDW = Personal Defence Weapon. There are several companies that have PDW rifles in their line up and some has the "PDW" acronym as part of the model description.
    Last edited by DS; 23-11-2011 at 13:24.

Like this :
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/5...se_Weapon.html
    Khumba - would you be able to get something like this from your suppliers ?

User

Beta C drum mag, takes 100rd 5,56. You get AR compatible, and also a G36 series one.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BGL View Post
    Like this :
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_124/5...se_Weapon.html
    Khumba - would you be able to get something like this from your suppliers ?
    We most definately can - 7.5" PDW by NEA - DI not Piston.

http://northeasternarms.com/platform...les/nea-15-pdw

Stay away from the Beta C mags...they generally do not work and are over priced. If you want more capacity use the SureFire 60rd or 100rd mags...thus far they are working fine, although the 100 rounders have only now hit the commercial market.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Stay away from the Beta C mags...they generally do not work and are over priced. If you want more capacity use the SureFire 60rd or 100rd mags...thus far they are working fine, although the 100 rounders have only now hit the commercial market.
    CANTWAITCANTWAITCANTWAIT - 60rnd sweetness! Mmmmm that is about R270 worth of ammo in there

I'm glad that you guys are at least in a position to shop around for mags. I'm still in the dream state. But hey, everything starts with a thought right.

Just to rephrase my question: Does anyone have any experience with this rifle (i.e. the K23B AR15, not the fictional carter special or the Beta C mag)? I'd like to know if it's a decent rifle to consider as a "first" (or any) rifle purchase.

User

Ask Ikor but afaik the Olympic is a lower tier rifle. It is not available in SA afaik.

From the USA it is very difficult (if not impossible) to import semi auto rifles like the AR with barrels shorter than 16".

You will need to look at European/ Canadian manufactured rifles to get a PDW.

I have not fired or used an AR PDW but will do so by the end of Jan.