Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Firearm renewal after expiry

I submitted my firearm renewal application at the end of last year, a few months after the license had expired.

I have not heard anything about my application, and every time that I go to try check on it I get told that I must just wait to receive a sms with the outcome. I went this past week and was told that all applications for licenses that had expired are on hold awaiting the outcome of a court case.

Does anyone have any further information on this?

User

Default Re: Firearm renewal after expiry

if you have the old green license... you're still good.
    if not, only the new white card.... problems and lawyer time.

Lian, please don't give legal advice on this type of thing. The topic is much debated between lawyers.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit: occidentis telum est.

Seneca (4 BC - 65 AD)

User

everybody here has always said the old green licenses are still valid. has that changed?

Quote Originally Posted by barbarza View Post
    I submitted my firearm renewal application at the end of last year, a few months after the license had expired.

I have not heard anything about my application, and every time that I go to try check on it I get told that I must just wait to receive a sms with the outcome. I went this past week and was told that all applications for licenses that had expired are on hold awaiting the outcome of a court case.

Does anyone have any further information on this?
    It used to be OK if you were overseas and could prove that. Not sure what they would do now.

Not a hijack but of interest as well.

A colleague did not renew his licence either and now sits in the same boat.

He was advised to hand the firearm into a dealer as if sold. Then to reapply for the new license on the basis that he was looking for something else but decided to repurchase his original firearm. Sounds to simple for me.

Two problems I have are that the licence is 14 months overdue so there would have been inspections with dealer showing that that the firearm was receipted well after licence expiry. When the serial number would reveal that the same person is buying back the weapon and the modus operandi would be clear.

Any informed opinions on the matter please?
    One too many wasted sunsets and one too many for the road .........

I received a SMS from Kaapjag that went to all members to remind them to please make sure to renew prior to the 90days. I believe NSA has also sent if I listened correctly over weekend.

What I have heard on Saturday from a dealer. But have to say this might be hearsay. Is that if you did not apply in time. Your license will be void. And you will need to do a completely new application for it. Not sure what they want a person to do with the firearm then in the meantime. Because dont think dealers or SAP13 stores has got enough room to store if you may not have it i this period.

User

Bit of a bump - like an idiot, I didn't notice that my 90 day period fell over Christmas, and I only applied 2 months before it expired. At the time, the DFO said 'no worries, I'm sure they'll get it done'. That was in January. The licence expired in March of course, and no word......kept checking, and nothing. Then, all of a sudden, they have gotten super excited about the 90 day period, and I've gotten a million warnings from every organisation I belong to - too late of course (my fault of course). I went and checked again today, and got told the 'awaiting the outcome' speech.

So.....should I get it to a gun shop in the meantime, or what? I asked the DFO, he just shrugged his shoulders, and 'awaiting the outcome'd' again. I'd rather get the ball rolling on a new application in the meantime if they're going to get all stupid about this - keeping everybody wondering is silly, I'm kind of stuck in limbo now.

Still kicking myself of course.....my fault of course, in my very feeble defence I just didn't notice it over Christmas and they weren't making such a scene about it at the time.

And edit to add: I'm curious - if the licence is denied based on the late application, should I automatically appeal? I'm guessing no.....new application required. In which case, they're just making considerably more work for themselves? I don't really understand this other than as a 'we're going to mess you around because you didn't follow the letter of the law' thing (again, my fault for not getting the thing in in time of course)
    Last edited by ARM505; 30-11-2015 at 16:10.

User

I believe there is an official statement/press release/directive or something on the way that should clarify some of the aspects on this topic.

There is apparently already correspondence that came out mid-November placing the previous directive from August in abeyance

User

Quote Originally Posted by ARM505 View Post
    Bit of a bump - like an idiot, I didn't notice that my 90 day period fell over Christmas, and I only applied 2 months before it expired. At the time, the DFO said 'no worries, I'm sure they'll get it done'. That was in January. The licence expired in March of course, and no word......kept checking, and nothing. Then, all of a sudden, they have gotten super excited about the 90 day period, and I've gotten a million warnings from every organisation I belong to - too late of course (my fault of course). I went and checked again today, and got told the 'awaiting the outcome' speech.

So.....should I get it to a gun shop in the meantime, or what? I asked the DFO, he just shrugged his shoulders, and 'awaiting the outcome'd' again. I'd rather get the ball rolling on a new application in the meantime if they're going to get all stupid about this - keeping everybody wondering is silly, I'm kind of stuck in limbo now.

Still kicking myself of course.....my fault of course, in my very feeble defence I just didn't notice it over Christmas and they weren't making such a scene about it at the time.

And edit to add: I'm curious - if the licence is denied based on the late application, should I automatically appeal? I'm guessing no.....new application required. In which case, they're just making considerably more work for themselves? I don't really understand this other than as a 'we're going to mess you around because you didn't follow the letter of the law' thing (again, my fault for not getting the thing in in time of course)
    The official position as far as I understand it is that your license remains valid until the outcome of the application. You submitted the application before the 90 day hype erupted and as long as you did not sit on it until the expiry date and went after the expiry you are safe. The NSA also let us know that there was a problem that the different provinces have their own application (oh really, surprise, surprise!!!) of the process and that a national standard has to be achieved and they have more meetings etc to try and set a standard. It seems as thought that hype and directive has now been withdrawn for the moment. I stand to be corrected by anyone that has any other and/or correct information if mine is incorrect.

On the other hand, just make sure you file your application for renewal in time and all will be well! Good luck though!

Kind regards

Werner

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast