Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Berg River Fishing

Hey guys,

I am going to be doing some wing shooting in the Berg River Area in Jan and we thought to do some fishing as well.
    (In fact it will be a competition with longest fish, heaviest fish, most interesting species and most interesting bait/lure)

This leads me here... I have no clue what bait/lure to use for fresh water fishing nor do I know what will work in the Berg River area. Please share your knowledge with me.

P.s. for the inventive lure suggestions - please pm me as one of my competitors will be reading :)

Thanks,
    W

User

Default Re: Berg River Fishing

wthang,
    The Berg river will be slow flowing that time of the year and pretty murky. Best times are early morning and late afternoons for Carp, the most common species in the river. Use a bread mix on no2 hook and be patient.
    You will find some bass in the reeds under the trees and below the weirs. Silicone worm works ok.
    Good luck!
    Watch out for snakes! Did a bit of fencing with a Cape Cobra in the water, using my rod a while ago. They're very good swimmers..

User

hahaha fencing with a cobra and a fishing rod. That's something i would pay to see....

Im also interested what to use there so im just keeping an eye on the comments...sorry but i have no advice for you Wthang.

User

Thomast - Tx mate. When you say bread mix is that just white bread made into a little ball with water and some turmeric powder?

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST View Post
    wthang,
    The Berg river will be slow flowing that time of the year and pretty murky. Best times are early morning and late afternoons for Carp, the most common species in the river. Use a bread mix on no2 hook and be patient.
    You will find some bass in the reeds under the trees and below the weirs. Silicone worm works ok.
    Good luck!
    Watch out for snakes! Did a bit of fencing with a Cape Cobra in the water, using my rod a while ago. They're very good swimmers..

Wthang, rather use brown that white bread. I have had better results with the latter... just my 5c.

The question is on which part of the river you will be. Remember that the sea flows upriver and you will get saltwater a good 40km from Laaiplek (River mouth). Your chances of catching saltwater fish is more than good. Therefore prepare both fresh & saltwater bait.

User

Just got back.

We caught around 16 Barbel, 4 Carp, 1 Yellow Fish and a Cape Terrapin (Believe it or not). The Terrapin took the Duck Heart we were using for Barbel. The last 2 mentioned were put back in the water.

Wthang, those are great results!

Where exactly did you catch these, in which area?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Hein2506 View Post
    Wthang, those are great results!

Where exactly did you catch these, in which area?
    We were on a farm called Rasplas. If you take the Hopefield turn off just before Velddrif you drive for about 20 k's till you hit the silo's. We turned off there and headed to the farm.

Sounds like private property, do you know the farmer?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast