Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Extreme Fishing With Robson Green

Hi all,

There is a new season on Discovery channel called Extreme Fishing With Robson Green. The thing that bothers me about this series is the number of fish killed. He kills every fish he catches. On one episode they killed 6 Dorado caught in 6 minutes. That to me isn't ethical. These days it's important to portray catch and release tactics to broaden awareness about our dwindling marine resources. With so many viewers, I think this makes it even more important in this specific case. The okes from ESA on Supersport also keep the odd fish, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it, but they also always state they keep only what the can chow that day and that it's over the legal size. I am sure they also keep a bit more fish as they make as if they are going to release it, but don't actually show the shot of him turfing the fish back in the water. This is also okay, as they are still portraying catch and release. What are your views on this issue..?

Default Re: Extreme Fishing With Robson Green

Quote Originally Posted by Michaelrp View Post

That to me isn't ethical

I agree 100% with you.
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

I also think people need to realise that catch & release is not all hugs & kisses either. Plenty of released fish die pretty quickly after release as they are too stressed/too weak to avoid predators etc.

I do support catch & release & practice it myself, but if a fish is too knackered after a long fight, there is little point releasing it. Only keep them if you can eat them & if they are too tired to be released. Guys have got to get over the 'big bag' syndrome & be happy with one or two fish a day.

I spearfish as well as line fish & have been near guys fishing from boats who have released fish, only to see gamefish & sharks home in on the released fish within minutes of being released & then chow it. The predators are not stupid, they have sensed/witnessed the struggling fish as you catch it & when it is released they are close by & can capitalise on the easy meal. It doesn't always happen, but it happens more than you think. Worse is watching a recently released fish bump along the bottom in a completely weakened & disorientated state - hopefully they do recover well enough to live another day, but I am not convinced.

The other side of the coin is of course that in one day the average fishing trawler will wipe out and waste more fish than all of South Africa's recreational fisherman combined will catch in a year.

User

It looks like you did not even watch the whole program. In the same program he caught a sailfish that was released (as well as another fish). I am sure the dorado would not have been waisted. Most of the time the fish caught on the program is given to the local community with which he goes out to fish in the first place.

I agree with and support the practice of catch and release but do get your facts straight before making comments like the ones you did

User

Quote Originally Posted by Arnold View Post
    It looks like you did not even watch the whole program. In the same program he caught a sailfish that was released (as well as another fish). I am sure the dorado would not have been waisted. Most of the time the fish caught on the program is given to the local community with which he goes out to fish in the first place.

I agree with and support the practice of catch and release but do get your facts straight before making comments like the ones you did
    Yes, I did watch the whole series and yes, I did see the Sailie that was released. I'm sure the local community off Florida keys would benefit greatly from the Dorado seing as the "sunshine state" and Fort Lauderdale possibly has the highest concentration of poor people on earth.They will probably appreciate the Dorado as much, if not more than the Ferrari in the garage.

User

I never did like Robson, he's too girly. Dancing around like a prima donna and getting hissy fits, plus he doesn't know how to fight big fish.
    There are thousands of better skilled fishermen, dunno why they put him on t.v.

User

As long as the fish has no blood comming out of its gills there is no reason why it can not be realsed the trick is into reviving the fish before release this can take some time, But we need to catch and release otherwise we end up whats happend on the natal coast with all the "locals" eating everything in site without thinking of tommorow.

User

With shore angling yeah no problem, but winching a fish from 70m deep or more on a boat before the sharks get him is a different story.
    In most cases fish experiencing barotrauma do not survive, even getting them back down with the weighted hook method is not foolproof.

User

I've often had smaller fish fall prey to seagulls after releasing them back into the water from the boat. Best catch and release I've experienced was a 1m Hammerhead shark I caught close to Natures Valley, after releasing him, a seagull thought I'm throwing "take aways" into the water, he dived into the water to grab his loot but unfortunately he became the catch of the day for the shark.

User

This has been a very sensitive subject in recent times,on the one hand you get the over enthusiastic greenpeace guys, then you get the , i dont give a f%##W$$ck guys, next is the ones that sticks to the rules, and then you have the tag and release guys, of which i am one, the big problem on the fishing subject is, there are too many so called experts. Guys and girls when it comes to fishing just do what is right, if you have the brain to post on a website i am sure you are intelligent enough to know what is right or wrong, if you doubt get yourself one of those pamphlets that sea fisheries hand out, oh by tag and release i do not for one moment claim to release every fish i catch. Oh how i long for a nice fat galjoen on the coals now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast