Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default Re: What's your favourite .22 ammo?

i went through the same process, and did a bit of reading on internet when I got my .22 2 months ago.... In short, yes, you must buy different brands, and test them in your rifle. Just remember, because some brands still use wax on the heads, so you must fire at least 15/20 shots with the same batch/ same brand, before you will get Representative grouping for that brand.. This I read on internet. While testing, this also became true, but some brands was very constant from the first shot.

I bought many different kinds, the Remington options was VERY constant (They dont lube their bullets anymore). But you will have to go and play.

User

The Remingtons I bought still have lube on them.

I also believe that .22's like a "dirty" barrel.

i hear that Eley Tennex is the best for accuracy, i own two .22LR pistols, one is a Walther P22 for fun, so i use hot stuff in that, have not settled on a load for it.

The other is Eley Tennex for my Hammerli 280, however i have not got any Eley for quite some time, last time i phoned they said that had none, this was National Cartridge/ Suburban guns, where do you guys source your Eley Tennex from, and how much for a box of 50?

Quote Originally Posted by andy_760901 View Post
    i hear that Eley Tennex is the best for accuracy, i own two .22LR pistols, one is a Walther P22 for fun, so i use hot stuff in that, have not settled on a load for it.

The other is Eley Tennex for my Hammerli 280, however i have not got any Eley for quite some time, last time i phoned they said that had none, this was National Cartridge/ Suburban guns, where do you guys source your Eley Tennex from, and how much for a box of 50?
    Agreed, Tennex is very very good ammo. I use it in my Hammerli 215. I have also bought from Suburban, so I cannot give you any leads on where else to look. Rosenthals in CT stock RWS, which to my mind is in the same class as Eley (and at the same price).

Price was in the region of R1100/500 (I kid you not). I am afraid that the biggest reason for my ISSF scores is still the dangly bit hanging onto the pistol grip and not the ammo - so it is hard for me to justify spending that on what is essentially two match days of shooting!

Sweet

User

Hi there

I am shooting remminton yellow jacket what a bullet its fast and dam accur.

User

For availability and price I always fall back on S&B std velocity.

I am hopefully going to be testing some Lapua Center-X ammunition tomorrow in my Hammerli 215. I am also keen to test the new Eley Tennex EPS ammo, and will as soon as I can get my hands on some.

User

I have recently done a group test of the following ammo for my new cz .22 455.

The brands that I tested were:
    1. Eley tenex
    2. Eley match
    3. Eley sport
    4. Eley subsonic
    5. Fiocchi
    6. Winchester high velocity
    7. Lapua hv solid
    8. Lapua hv hollow
    9. Lapua std plus
    10. Highland subsonic
    11. Remington yellow jacket
    12. Remington cyclone

I shot from the bench at 50 m and did five shot groups.

Naturally the Eley tenex and match performed very well but it costs between R 150 - 180 for 50.
    The next best performer were lapua hv solid and the winchester hv ammo.

I have bought 3 bricks of the lapua hv solid and must say that they perform very well.

There has been a very exhaustive test done on .22 ammo on i think accurate rifle shooter.com.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really enjoyed CCI stinger,cci Mini Mag. Pitty they stopped making PMP. Blitzer and match trainers were also great. I had a Walther P22 and it never mis fed or miss fired once with any of the above. Had issues with pretty much most of the other brands but I think some issues were pistol related

The Lapua Center-X worked really well in my Hammerli 215. It was a very windy day in Montagu, so I cannot say much about the groups, but it functioned without stoppage and seemed to have a minimum amount of "over waxing" on the bullets - i.e. there was none left on the breach face after firing 50 RNDS.

[SP Match Trainers leave a fair amount of wax that shaves off each time a round chambers - and this gets the extractor all gummed up and makes a (cushioning) buildup on the breach face - eventually the gun starts to suffer from what look like light strikes].

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast