Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: LM goes Full Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Bruwer View Post
    Wildone, I agree with you about informed v ignorant actions. Comments about "South African metality" were not meant to be directed at anyone in particular, although being a generalisation are to a large extent true, myself included. I actually thought the bic spring idea was ingenious. My favourite quote is "Aut invenium viam aut faciam" = I shall either find a way or make one, sounds better then "n Boer maak n plan". I am a big fan of SA military history and you will find this priciple everywhere from tactics to aircraft development. Its part of the South African male psyche, using your noggin and common sense will determine whether you end up as an inovater or in the Darwin awards.

"Take a community of Dutchmen of the type of those who defended themselves for fifty years against all the power of Spain at a time when Spain was the greatest power in the world. Intermix with them a strain of those inflexible French Huguenots, who gave up their name and left their country forever at the time of the revocation of the Edict of Nantes. The product must obviously be one of the most rugged, virile, unconquerable races ever seen upon the face of the earth. Take these formidable people and train them for seven generations in constant warfare against savage men and ferocious beasts, in circumstances in which no weakling could survive; place them so that they acquire skill with weapons and in horsemanship, give them a country which is eminently suited to the tactics of the huntsman, the marksman and the rider. Then, finally, put a fine temper upon their military qualities by a dour fatalistic Old Testament religion and an ardent and consuming patriotism. Combine all these qualities and all these impulses in one individual and you have the modern Boer."
    Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

and because I suddenly feel patriotic, here's 2 more,"The Americans fight for a free world, the English mostly for honour and glory and medals, the French and Canadians decide too late that they have to participate. The Italians are too scared to fight; the Russians have no choice. The Germans for the Fatherland. The Boers? Those sons of bitches fight for the hell of it."
    American General, George "Guts and Glory" Patton

"Give me 20 divisions American soldiers and I will breach Europe. Give me 15 consisting of Englishmen, and I will advance to the borders of Berlin. Give me two divisions of those marvellous fighting Boers (Meaning Farmer, originating from the Boer War) and I will remove Germany from the face of the earth."
    Field Marshal Bernard L. Montgomery, Commander of the Allled forces during WWII.
    How is this even a little bit relevant to the topic at hand?

How is this even a little bit relevant to the topic at hand?
    The Arthur Conan Doyle quote was relevant to showing the individualistic nature of South African's, the other two I added cause I was in a good mood after reading the first again and felt like sharing something positive.

User

+1 Logan I like it! Thanks nice to hear something positive about our ancestors! The "Bush Mod" is in deed a big part of being a South African! I was in the scare force (air force then) & i can attest to many a "bush mod"! I have had the sad experience of actually breaking one of these firing pins on an R5 fortunately it was at the range & not on duty & it was not cool. I am not sure why it broke may have been the 10k rounds from that morning or something but was a sad end to my day! That being said is there any smiths in the Cape area that can do the spring mod? My LM is almost mien!

User

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Bruwer View Post
    The Arthur Conan Doyle quote was relevant to showing the individualistic nature of South African's, the other two I added cause I was in a good mood after reading the first again and felt like sharing something positive.
    Neither seems to contain info that will assist in fixing the faulty rifle. Stuff like that goes in one of the quote of the day threads.

User

Lads if you want to discuss quotes about boers feel free to start a thread about quotes about boers.

User

Hi
    It's just by chance I got onto this article.
    I'm involved with training of police members and we are having un-ending problems with AD's and even a few R5's that actualy "blew" up on the range. If I say blew up I mean the dust cover got bend and the magazine was destroyed when the weapon discharged after being cocked. When we reported this problem we were told it was a faulty batch of ammo. It is still happening.
    It seems that you might be more up to speed that the "chaps" that is advising us. Can it just be ammo (wich I doubt) and is there any way that we can actualy check for this problem on the range?
    We found that some of the ammunition, say about the last two years, actualy blows out part of the primer when fired and that these small "caps" actualy sometimes mould over the firing pin or foul up the working parts.
    In the last week we had two R5's that discharged after being cocked. On both occasions the next round in the magazine was not fed and the weapon would not fire after that. On 4 other R5's the weapons just stopped working totaly or would only fire every other round.
    I would really appreciate your input

User

Contact me urgently this should have been reported and acted on.0827789205

User

Hi BigPig, welcome to the forum. best post an intro in the introductions thread so we know more about you and to keep the moderators happy by following the rules :)

You described quite a few problems there, so naturally there could be quite a few different causes for them. sounds like some are hot loads, some may be detonations out of battery, some issues may be from poor or no maintenance, jammed firing pins, etc etc. Hard to pin it down to just one specific thing. I would imagine each weapon needs to be dealt with individually by a competent gunsmith

Almost certainly due to poor or nonexistant maintenence, but maintenence is something that far too few understand or perform. Guns don't run forever with none of it, and the R / LM. while a really good gun, is not impervious to such things either.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Thinking of what Ikor just said. Does the Army and SAPS still have their own "wapentiffies"? Or is that also contracted out?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast