Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    User

Default So you want a SEMI-AUTO RIFLE/SHOTGUN [guide]

1a) Join a shooting club that supports SADPA (or IPSC) : ~ R450
    b) Join SADPA or IPSC (SA defensive pistol association) : http://www.sadpa.co.za/ : ~R350
    c) get club log book

2a) go to training facility, buy competency material for LAW;
    and/or HANGDUN
    and/or SHOTGUN
    and/or HAND MACHINE CARBINE (semi auto rifle/shotgun)
    (each like ~R600)
    b) book exam dates for +1week

3) complete open-book practice exams for each, before official exam.

4a) write official exams (duplicate of open-book)
    b) insist to know when it'll be ready/marked/printed, many do it right there and then.
    c) when you get the certificates, go to local SAPS office's "designated firearms officer" (DFO) and apply for competencies (paperwork done at station).
    NOTE: make police-certified copies of ID and competency certificates, do not give originals. take along 2x ID photos.

5) in the meantime while competency is processing @ CFR, get random days at the range, to prove visits. range officer signs it each time. build up a history.

6) do a SADPA classifier to be able to join the official shoots and get points.
    NOTE: you CAN take part in shoots before you complete a classifier and accumulate points, but the points will only "activate" once classifier is done.
    even if you just spend time with the guys, pay attention to how its done, how it works, help patch targets, help pickup doppies. get tips.

7a) you need 5x 4points = 20points to get DEDICATED SPORT STATUS
    b) email SADPA to apply for DSS

8a) you have DSS, congrats. go buy your firearm.
    NOTE: you can buy the firearm at any point! Dealer will store it for you in the meantime!
    b) email SADPA for endorsement of said firearm in your chosen division.

9) receive your competency certificates from SAPS first (~4months), before:

10a) submit section16 (DSS) application for firearm bought in #8.
    b) submit section21 (temporary 1year) application for firearm bought in #8.
    NOTE: BOTH require the same motivational documentation, but Section21 requires an "urgency clause/factor" too.
    NOTE: Examples of letters are also available in the sticky'd thread @ http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...amples./page10
    NOTE: Every statement you make, must be officially proven/documented.

11) BUG THE **** out of DFO/provincial/CFR every day until you get your Section21 license(-s)
    NOTE: Dec2011 : William Masilela still handles S21's. He can receive and approve on same day.
    He will email permits to you.

12) Get Section permit, go enjoy your new baby at the range.
    Total time until "gun-in-hand" : ~ 3-6months.

13) Continue asking CFR for weekly updates regarding normal Section16 applications @ 012 353 6111

Application paths:
    local station -> provincial office -> Pretoria (CFR)
    phone at least once a week, to find out exactly where the app is. insist on getting names and landline numbers for the person/dept currently working on it.

Mods, please feel free to update/modify/delete as necessary

Default Re: So you want a SEMI-AUTO RIFLE/SHOTGUN [guide]

Outstanding post, think this needs to be a sticky, will save a lot of new people a lot of time and effort searching and a lot of the more experienced members repeating themselves.

Just to add to your post, their are alternative routes besides SADPA. I found SADPA was recommended by most but it just did not suit my needs and I'm sure it would be difficult for some people that just don't have the time/ability to accumulate the 20 points to obtain DSS (Dedicated Sport Status) or the time/ability to maintain it every year with SADPA. People who spend the majority of their time outside the country, people who live on farms and rural areas and cannot make it to shoots, or merely people who do not have the finances to attend sufficient events to maintain DSS. I am one of these people so I will just substitue what I did differently into your post if you don't mind.

1a) Join NSA : ~ R600 for 2 years

5a) Sign up for NSA's DSS program : ~ R250
    b) Study material and complete open book exam online. Receive results within hours.

6a) Download target from NSA, shoot at accredited range and have range officer countersign and post/email/fax in to NSA.
    b) In order to maintain status you need to particpate in 2 annual postal shoots, basically a twice annual repeat of above.

7a) Receive documentation back from NSA, about 1 week.

Last edited by Logan Bruwer; 24-12-2011 at 09:36. Reason: grammer correction

User

Thanx lian

User

Quote Originally Posted by Logan Bruwer View Post
    Outstanding post, think this needs to be a sticky, will save a lot of new people a lot of time and effort searching and a lot of the more experienced members repeating themselves.

Just to add to your post, their are alternative routes besides SADPA. I found SADPA was recommended by most but it just did not suit my needs and I'm sure it would be difficult for some people that just don't have the time/ability to accumulate the 20 points to obtain DSS (Dedicated Sport Status) or the time/ability to maintain it every year with SADPA. People who spend the majority of their time outside the country, people who live on farms and rural areas and cannot make it to shoots, or merely people who do not have the finances to attend sufficient events to maintain DSS. I am one of these people so I will just substitue what I did differently into your post if you don't mind.

1a) Join NSA : ~ R600 for 2 years

5a) Sign up for NSA's DSS program : ~ R250
    b) Study material and complete open book exam online. Receive results within hours.

6a) Download target from NSA, shoot at accredited range and have range officer countersign and post/email/fax in to NSA.
    b) In order to maintain status you need to particpate in 2 annual postal shoots, basically a twice annual repeat of above.

7a) Receive documentation back from NSA, about 1 week.

Logan
    My concern with the NSA route is the practicality of the motivation. Will you actually be using the SLR for what you're motivating it against?
    IMHO I feel that the IPSC/IDPA route is the only, correct way to obtain DSS, as it requires practical use of the said SLR and practical and shooting effort to obtain the points for DSS. I also personally feel it holds more weight with CFR than NSA, but that's just my opinion.

Brendank, I agree with you 100%. Like I said, SADPA was from all the people I consulted with, the preferred way to go, but there are many people who will not be able to achieve and maintain DSS with SADPA. I'm not referring to people who are lazy or just couldn't be bothered to shoot regularly, there are people with genuine reasons and circumstances that would require them to fill out an "no particpation report" (or whatever its called) for a few consecutive years and/or not gather enough points annually. NSA would be the alternative.

Therein lies my chief problem with the new law, if I buy a second house and don't live in it for a few years, will I be forced to sell it or deactivate it by boarding up the doors and windows? But that's a debate for another thread and until the law changes we have to make do as best we can within the framework given to us.

I think the more different clubs/associations/methods of achieving DSS the better, the individual will then be able to determine which method will suit his pocket/lifestyle/needs the best.

As a side note, I intend to use mine for service shooting (which only allows semi and full automatic firearms), but there is no way to achieve DSS through service shooting, another FCA conundrum.

User

Cool. My post was in no way intended to be offensive, if it came across as such, I apologise. I do agree there are certain shooters with circumstances that just don't allow for them to go the SADPA/IPSC route, in which case the NSA option is viable. Just saying that I feel SADPA/IPSC DSS carries more weight from a practical standpoint.

User

Great post Lian! Give that man a bells!

User

Nice post!

User

Great guide. I was faced with obtaining a DSS in 2009 to keep the existing firearms I had plus some extras I took over from my father. I looked at all the avenues open to me and from what I found was that once an organization has been granted SAPS accreditation and has a valid accreditation number, then the DSS that they confer on their members is as good as a DSS conferred by any other accredited organization. What I have found since is that there is that some organizations have open hostility towards each other, claiming that their DSS carries more weight than another organization. The fact is that a DSS from an accredited organization is a DSS period. When it comes to endorsing and motivating a firearm for a particular sport, here in my opinion is a major difference between the various organizations – it’s hard to endorse or motivate a semi automatic rifle for a postal shoot. My suggestion is to carefully consider the discipline offered by the organization you wish to obtain DSS through and that way you will stand a better chance of getting your license. If your budget and time will allow it, having multiple DSS’s through different organizations would be a bonus.

User

For us here in the "plataland" it is really hard to do the DSS throe SADPA or IPCS simply because we cant all afford to go to the shoots all over the country to get 1 or 2 points for a shoot! I think that these organisations have made it way to hard & cumbersome to get a DSS more like a punishment than advancing the sport! NSA worked really well for me & I am very grateful! If they were not "easy" as they were i would have taken about 3yrs to get my 20 points in SADPA! I shoot regularly have a good understanding & allot of experience but being so far away it would be impossible! Logan is very right! I am also not the only one with this problem! Thanks Lian that was good info! I gona copy & past & save it on my PC me thinks!

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast