Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
    User

Default Re: So you want a SEMI-AUTO RIFLE/SHOTGUN [guide]

Quote Originally Posted by Schizzo View Post
    If I had my way they would both be SD but it would be a bit awkward to try and conceal a shotgun on the daily. The shotgun would be used for occasional hunting/sport shooting. We do wedding photography and I do not have time to attend comps every weekend
    Surely you can find 1 weekend a month?

Hi All

Would anyone mind sharing a motivation for a semi-auto shotgun?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jacquesster79 View Post
    Hi All

Would anyone mind sharing a motivation for a semi-auto shotgun?

What are you going to use the gun for?
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Quote Originally Posted by SSP View Post
    What are you going to use the gun for?
    I will be using it for sport shooting clay target shooting. I do have dedicated sport shooter status.

User

I will be using it for sport shooting clay target shooting. I do have dedicated sport shooter status.

Just a few comments on this (as a wingshooter and clay pigeon shooter, who also owns a semi-auto for sport shooting purposes (viz. DMG with SADPA))... if you want to become involved in clay pigeon shooting, you might like to investigating joining the Clay Target Shooting Assoc. of SA (CTSASA), as well as your local clay pigeon club. See link to CTSASA: http://www.ctsasa.co.za/

There are many different disciplines in clay pigeon shooting, so try a bunch of them to work out what you like (I personally like sporting clays and skeet).

I know that you probably don't want to hear this but the vast majority of people participating in clay pigeon sport shooting, do so with (usually) an over and under shotgun (O/U) and, occasionally, with a side-by-side (S/S) or a semi-auto. Simply because the O/U and S/S can be clearly shown to be safe (viz. when the shotgun is "broken" (i.e. opened)), some clubs and members frown upon the semi-autos being used, especially by visitors and new members whose gun safety they may not know. Also take note that the top shooters in most of the clay shooting disciplines tend to make use of O/U in order to be competitive and at the top of their games...

In addition, on the wingshooting side, fellow hunters are often concerned by a guy who comes to the hunt with a semi-auto. Furthermore and from a sporting and ethical perspective, please be aware that it is customary for the semi-auto to be limited when hunting, if I recall correctly, to 3 shots (even though its capacity may be 7+1 or even 8+1).

I would therefore strongly recommend that you consider the above, especially before buying a semi-auto for the purposes you have indicated above.

Good luck, shotgun shooting and hunting (of any sort) is good fun!!

Thanks for your meaningful insight Tayls. I have read up a lot about the sport regarding the different disciplines and the ideal guns to be used. I realize that a semi-auto may not be the preferred gun but for the time being this is the shotgun I can afford. In future I would definitely like to get an O/U.

In the meantime I am very excited to get more involved in clay pigeon shooting.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

Jacques

User

Thanks for your meaningful insight Tayls. I have read up a lot about the sport regarding the different disciplines and the ideal guns to be used. I realize that a semi-auto may not be the preferred gun but for the time being this is the shotgun I can afford. In future I would definitely like to get an O/U.

In the meantime I am very excited to get more involved in clay pigeon shooting.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your input.

Jacques

Tactical 22 have a Webley & Scott 12 Gauge O/U for under 10k

I don’t know O/U shotguns so can’t comment on it’s suitability etc…..

User

Anyone geta' self loading rifle ( AR AK LM SABC BBC type thing ) with a DSS from SA Hunters?

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    1a) Join a shooting club that supports SADPA (or IPSC) : ~ R450
    b) Join SADPA or IPSC (SA defensive pistol association) : http://www.sadpa.co.za/ : ~R350
    c) get club log book

2a) go to training facility, buy competency material for LAW;
    and/or HANGDUN
    and/or SHOTGUN
    and/or HAND MACHINE CARBINE (semi auto rifle/shotgun)
    (each like ~R600)
    b) book exam dates for +1week

3) complete open-book practice exams for each, before official exam.

4a) write official exams (duplicate of open-book)
    b) insist to know when it'll be ready/marked/printed, many do it right there and then.
    c) when you get the certificates, go to local SAPS office's "designated firearms officer" (DFO) and apply for competencies (paperwork done at station).
    NOTE: make police-certified copies of ID and competency certificates, do not give originals. take along 2x ID photos.

5) in the meantime while competency is processing @ CFR, get random days at the range, to prove visits. range officer signs it each time. build up a history.

6) do a SADPA classifier to be able to join the official shoots and get points.
    NOTE: you CAN take part in shoots before you complete a classifier and accumulate points, but the points will only "activate" once classifier is done.
    even if you just spend time with the guys, pay attention to how its done, how it works, help patch targets, help pickup doppies. get tips.

7a) you need 5x 4points = 20points to get DEDICATED SPORT STATUS
    b) email SADPA to apply for DSS

8a) you have DSS, congrats. go buy your firearm.
    NOTE: you can buy the firearm at any point! Dealer will store it for you in the meantime!
    b) email SADPA for endorsement of said firearm in your chosen division.

9) receive your competency certificates from SAPS first (~4months), before:

10a) submit section16 (DSS) application for firearm bought in #8.
    b) submit section21 (temporary 1year) application for firearm bought in #8.
    NOTE: BOTH require the same motivational documentation, but Section21 requires an "urgency clause/factor" too.
    NOTE: Examples of letters are also available in the sticky'd thread @ http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...amples./page10
    NOTE: Every statement you make, must be officially proven/documented.

11) BUG THE **** out of DFO/provincial/CFR every day until you get your Section21 license(-s)
    NOTE: Dec2011 : William Masilela still handles S21's. He can receive and approve on same day.
    He will email permits to you.

12) Get Section permit, go enjoy your new baby at the range.
    Total time until "gun-in-hand" : ~ 3-6months.

13) Continue asking CFR for weekly updates regarding normal Section16 applications @ 012 353 6111

Application paths:
    local station -> provincial office -> Pretoria (CFR)
    phone at least once a week, to find out exactly where the app is. insist on getting names and landline numbers for the person/dept currently working on it.

Mods, please feel free to update/modify/delete as necessary
    Thanks for this post! Can this process also apply for new/first time buyers?
    Basically. I don't have my competency yet. I've purchased the material for Law, handgun, rifle, carbine & shotgun and working through it (almost done).
    Can I join a shooting club now, before I complete and apply for competence? the info I received from the JDPA suggested that I receive the FA license before I join and apply for DSS?

Regards
    G

Quote Originally Posted by Gwakie View Post
    Thanks for this post! Can this process also apply for new/first time buyers?
    Basically. I don't have my competency yet. I've purchased the material for Law, handgun, rifle, carbine & shotgun and working through it (almost done).
    Can I join a shooting club now, before I complete and apply for competence? the info I received from the JDPA suggested that I receive the FA license before I join and apply for DSS?

Regards
    G
    You can join without a licence but you will not be able to earn DSS points until you actually compete.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19