Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    User

Default Re: So you want a SEMI-AUTO RIFLE/SHOTGUN [guide]

Quote Originally Posted by smithcorne View Post
    Thanks for the reply Keith. I spoke to a person in our town that does competency training. He also confirmed what you said. Unit standard 119650. Just to clarify further then, after doing the competency and receiving my certification, I need to apply for competency at the SAPS. Does this mean I can only apply for the license after the SAPS issues a competency certificate? Meaning I will most probably only see my rifle at the end of the year?
    You should be able to hand in the application for your competency as well as the application for your semi-auto at the same time.

Make sure to get certified copies of your competency certificate and attach that to your firearm application as well.

CFR should be able to see you have a competency application in the system and then can also see the certificate with your firearm application. They usually wait for the competency to be approved before finalizing the firearm application but we have heard of cases where the license is finalised before the competency is, albeit it is rare.

User

Quote Originally Posted by smithcorne View Post
    Thanks for the reply Keith. I spoke to a person in our town that does competency training. He also confirmed what you said. Unit standard 119650. Just to clarify further then, after doing the competency and receiving my certification, I need to apply for competency at the SAPS. Does this mean I can only apply for the license after the SAPS issues a competency certificate? Meaning I will most probably only see my rifle at the end of the year?
    Hi SmithCorne,

I have just gone down this route. You need to do your proficiency for a HMC. This entails an open book test, a closed book exam and a test on the range to ensure that you know how to handle a SLR (needs to be done through an accredited organisation).

Once done, you need to submit the relevant form (SAPS 517(a) = application for an additional competency). This form can be submitted to the CFR at the same time as your SAPS 271 (application for a licence for your SLR). Then the wait begins...

From what I understand, you need to ensure that your motivation (and your answers in the SAPS forms) specify that you have lodged your SAPS 517(a) at the same time as the SAPS 271...

Good luck!!

User

Please can we kill this damned HMC terminology. Its Self Loading Rifle or Carbine now.

User

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    Please can we kill this damned HMC terminology. Its Self Loading Rifle or Carbine now.
    Sadly not... the HMC terminology appears in the SAPS forms!

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    But NOWHERE in the legislation; there are only handgun, shotgun and rifle. Also Unit Standards are NOT legislation.

Peter

User

Quote Originally Posted by Tayls View Post
    SAPS systems should be brought up to date and in line with the current unit standards.

And actually most of the time people have to draw a box and are advised to write HMC next to it

User

Thanks for everyone's inputs. I appreciate it. I m seeing the guy doing the competencies on Friday. Here we go. Now to tell the wife...

Hi again smithcorne.
    Different views on this.
    Some CFO's seem to say submit for competency and when received then submit for licences.
    The Primrose CFO was OK with sending all x 4 applications off together on 10 December.
    Received SMS' for all x 4 applications beginning/end of January and 'got competency' on 23 February.
    The x 3 Firearms Licence Applications were 'submitted for consideration' on the 12 March...
    So 'still waiting' and the 'suspense factor' is interesting !
    Regards.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by prepare2win View Post
    SAPS systems should be brought up to date and in line with the current unit standards.
    NO, the SAPS should comply with the law, and not be driven by the commercial interests of the training industry.

Peter

User

Quote Originally Posted by High Power View Post
    NO, the SAPS should comply with the law, and not be driven by the commercial interests of the training industry.

Peter
    I agree, and AFAIK the law says you need the RELEVANT competency to posses a firearm. The erroneous terminology has led to people who have the correct proficiency being denied, and people without being granted licenses.

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast