Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Joining a club

User

Default Joining a club

Hey all.
    Im going to join a club for sportshooting as i finally got my FA and I was thiking of joining JDPC as itsthe closest club to me. So before I start i would appreciate as much advice as possible, I am very new to this and have not done much shooting. I have a cz 75 9mmP i have all the basic safty equipments and 3 mags.
    Thanks

User

Default Re: Joining a club

Get a nice little range bag (read any bag that you can pack all your stuff in), invest in perhaps 2-3 more mags, proper hat and/or sunscreen, and some aspirin, and then ammo ammo ammo!

Make sure you know the IDPA Rule book and have a copy of it in your bag as well. You will need to do the New Shooter Orientation as well, if you haven't already, and then get around to doing a classifier.

As for the rest, just go and have fun! Be respectful of other shooters, i.e. don't joke around and make noise when they are on the line (the fun and games come afterwards), be ready to pick up brass and patch targets, and ask as much questiosn as you can.

Good luck man!
    Last edited by cerop; 02-01-2012 at 11:48.

User

Hi Freakazoid,

Read this on the SADPA website it helped me allot, also try and tag along with one of the shooters that is in that club. You will soon learn the ins and outs.

http://www.sadpa.co.za/newshooter.asp

:-)

Ear muffs, hat, shooting glasses, food and snacks, liquids both cool drink and water, lip ice, range bag, ammo, GUN LOL! mags 3 is fine to start. good sturdy belt, golster that is suitable for everyday concealed carry which covers the trigger guard. consealment garment. You will need to do an NSO before being allowed to shoot. Contact the club to find out when they running one. Do not have to do NSO at the club you join can do at any club. My suggestion is do the first NSO that you can at thatever club then you GTG!

P.S. GOLSTERS only work if u shooting a GLOCK for any other firearm bring a Holster! LOL!

User

All the above I have, just looking for a better Holster. Also any advice regarding the shooting?

User

Slow down and take your time with your shots. Yes, the timer does have an effect, and it very often makes you shoot faster than you can, but try your best to ignore it and go for zero points down.

And then just practice, practice, practice!

What Cerop says is very important. I recently started, and when the timer goes I simply cannot get my shots off quick enough.

This then translated to a decent time, but a horrendous points count.

I think it was Thorkind's signature that said "speed is fine, accuracy is sexy".

You can shoot accurate and then work up the speed, but not the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by cerop View Post
    Get a nice little range bag (read any bag that you can pack all your stuff in), invest in perhaps 2-3 more mags, proper hat and/or sunscreen, and some aspirin, and then ammo ammo ammo!

Make sure you know the IDPA Rule book and have a copy of it in your bag as well. You will need to do the New Shooter Orientation as well, if you haven't already, and then get around to doing a classifier.

As for the rest, just go and have fun! Be respectful of other shooters, i.e. don't joke around and make noise when they are on the line (the fun and games come afterwards), be ready to pick up brass and patch targets, and ask as much questiosn as you can.

Good luck man!
    If you don't want to carry a chair along with you get a case thats strong enough to support your weight when you sit. Don't know about the rest of the guys but sitting while reloading & sorting out ammo is a lot easier on the back & toes than standing bent over or sitting on your toes.

My dad has one of these caravan steps with a built in bin, works a charm if you don't carry around 10,000 BIG things he bought it for R250 irc. I've looked at every camping and plastic place in my area and i can't find them but maybe your lucky in your area.
    If you have a bit more flexable budget Builders has these:

but at roughly R650 a bit to tight for my budget! But i would love one of these. Also bigger than the normal caravan step.

Quote Originally Posted by Skaaphaas View Post
    What Cerop says is very important. I recently started, and when the timer goes I simply cannot get my shots off quick enough.

This then translated to a decent time, but a horrendous points count.

I think it was Thorkind's signature that said "speed is fine, accuracy is sexy".

You can shoot accurate and then work up the speed, but not the other way round.
    Can't agree more on these point, speed will come with practice. Get your accuracy sorted 1st. It's easier to go from accurate to fast than it is to go from fast to accurate.

As mentioned also be willing to help out patch, pick up brass, reset movers etc and you will soon be a part of the group. Don't be scared to ask questions most shooters will be more than happy to explain what ever you don't understand.

In general most shooters are a friendly bunch of guys that are out to have fun with like minded people, as with most things in life there are a couple of not so friendlies but just ignore them as they are in such a minority that you kinda have to go look for them!

You need a basic blow out kit as well as snivel gear like antihistamines and painkillers.

As you shoot a CZ75 I'd suggest a spare slidestop in your kit.

Bag for your brass.

Adequate hydration.

I hate chairs on a shooting range. They tend to be ass magnets and promote spectation while everyone else patches and polices brass.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast