Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Discontinued ammo - "banned ammo"

hi,

what is all the "banned ammo" relating to hand guns?

when i was at a gun shop, the sales person told me (what happened in the US) the black talons where banned due to its over expansion and the doctors were cutting their fingers while trying to get the bullet out.

so just want to find out what type of bullet(s) and reason for discontinuation.

thanks

User

Default Re: Discontinued ammo - "banned ammo"

Quote Originally Posted by ror123
    hi,

when i was at a gun shop, the sales person told me (what happened in the US) the black talons where banned due to its over expansion and the doctors were cutting their fingers while trying to get the bullet out.

thanks
    The original Black Talons (nickle case gen 1) were banned for civilian use in some states in the U.S due to alot of negative publicity regarding two shootings, around 1993.
    Black Talon's were then re-packaged and sold only to LEO (so Winchester thought) as Ranger SXT's (gen 2 & 3). These were still the Black lubalox coated bullet which were eventually replaced by the current series Ranger T (gen 4) in around 2000.
    According to a few people I have spoken to, including guys at Nick Yale, Winchester will NOT ship Ranger ammo to S.A without a LEA end-user certificate, which they obviously cannot supply.
    Hence the fact we will probably never ever see Ranger ammo in S.A again, at least not for civies.

As far as I know the only other banned ammo, is AP (THV/Steel core etc) stuff, which is extremely rare in any event.

User

Check out the following links:
    [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Talon[/ame]

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/H...Winchester.htm

This should give some context to the story.

hi,

thanks
    Just to be clear. The were not "banned" in the ordinary sense of the word. The manufacturer choses not to sell them to civilians.

They are, however, perfectly legal to purchase, own, carry and use in SA and the US.

The Minister, in terms of the FCA, ban any ammunition type or calibre. He has not done so.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

i was wondering if any1 sells vbr ammo (ap ammo) prob will be banned... cos think about it criminals now have access to security clothes, metro ands saps clothes so why wont they get bullet proof vests, and which ammo (civilians use) will go through a vest ???

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    hi,

thanks
    Just to be clear. The were not "banned" in the ordinary sense of the word. The manufacturer choses not to sell them to civilians.

They are, however, perfectly legal to purchase, own, carry and use in SA and the US.

The Minister, in terms of the FCA, ban any ammunition type or calibre. He has not done so.
    I was under the same impression regarding BT's being banned in the U.S (didn't happen), however an esteemed U.S member of our forum mentioned that they had been banned in some states in the U.S, hence my comment in my first post.

User

ror...

which shop did you visit that gave you that info?

and either way... if you have them, they're legal in SA. but they are fairly over-rated rounds.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Ranger
    ror...

which shop did you visit that gave you that info?

and either way... if you have them, they're legal in SA. but they are fairly over-rated rounds.
    Most people in S.A are misinformed when it comes to the BT story, I have spent many, many hours investigating it and the truth behind the stories.
    The fact is that Winchester pulled the round off the civilian market to avoid further lawsuites and the possible banning of all JHP's by the, then Clinton administration.

I don't think they're over rated at all, esp, the 127gr +P+ version in 9mm, good weight/velocity combination, if not the best available in 9mm (in my opinion).
    There are, granted, better rounds available now (Speer GD/Ranger T/Federal HST/Bonded Golden Sabers etc), but keep in mind the BT's/Ranger SXT's are old technology comming out of the early 90's.

User

I carry BT's in my SD and have had them for quite some time, does anyone know how often we should change our carrry rounds, and cam BT's still be found at Gun shops?

User

Quote Originally Posted by griffin
    I carry BT's in my SD and have had them for quite some time, does anyone know how often we should change our carrry rounds, and cam BT's still be found at Gun shops?
    I would recommend changing the ammo in the gun at least once a year.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast