Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    User

Default Re: Airsoft Simulations - Effective as Training for Real World Scenarios?

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    he said training, not play.
    Granted, but that is your best bet to get in contact with airsoft people around his area as it is the most popular forum on the net for paintball and airsoft.

User

Default Re: Airsoft Simulations - Effective as Training for Real World Scenarios?

I do think that this give you the feel of a real attack.
    The dodging and running short distances is very real,
    and it is precisely what you will do in your house, or on
    the street when an attack take place.

The only thing that airsoft takes away, is the sound of
    real shots and weapon drills when needed.

User

it's not that airsoft is a bad medium.... it's more than the paintball.co.za crowd are a bunch of kiddy retards that spend more time tacti-cool'ing their tippmann's and arguing who's "silencer" is the best.... than actually studying human behaviour and tactics to get more skillful "kills".
    you dont have to believe me, i've only been a veteran paintball player for the last 8-10 years and seen/experienced ALL the PB communities in SA.
    paintball.co.za being the one place where they argue fiercly that paintball guns are good substitutes for real guns.... instead of being proactive and not lazy, and getting a real one.

remember, you're looking for:
    REAL and EXPERIENCED firearms and tactics instructor;
    that also specializes in airsoft force-on-force training.

so, if you're willing to go dig through that mess for that specific combination.... good luck.

any armchair commando (like me) can suddenly be an airsoft expert and "train" you.
    only in real life, that supposed training will get you killed.

so, if you really want "training" from someone from paintball.co.za...... it's a perfect example of Darwin's Law, in motion.
    Last edited by Lian; 20-01-2012 at 09:11.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    it's not that airsoft is a bad medium.... it's more than the paintball.co.za crowd are a bunch of kiddy retards that spend more time tacti-cool'ing their tippmann's and arguing who's "silencer" is the best.... than actually studying human behaviour and tactics to get more skillful "kills".
    you dont have to believe me, i've only been a veteran paintball player for the last 8-10 years and seen/experienced ALL the PB communities in SA.
    paintball.co.za being the one place where they argue fiercly that paintball guns are good substitutes for real guns.... instead of being proactive and not lazy, and getting a real one.

remember, you're looking for:
    REAL and EXPERIENCED firearms and tactics instructor;
    that also specializes in airsoft force-on-force training.

so, if you're willing to go dig through that mess for that specific combination.... good luck.

any armchair commando (like me) can suddenly be an airsoft expert and "train" you.
    only in real life, that supposed training will get you killed.

so, if you really want "training" from someone from paintball.co.za...... it's a perfect example of Darwin's Law, in motion.
    +1

The little bird I heard also said that some trainers that used to do this ain't doing it no more either, because airsoft pistols cost a shitload of money, and they break quickly when used in force-on-force training.

Still, I maintain that if there's one thing that airsoft training and even paintball can teach you, it's how quickly and easily you can get shot, no matter how tactical you think your movement is.

I remember the first time I went to play paintball as a youngster. I thought I'm going to be a uber-cool tactical ninja, take out all the opfor and not get shot once. How wrong I was. If anything, it's a little eye opener to the fact that you probably will get shot in a real fight as well. Better make peace with it now.
    Beware the killer ræbbit of Caerbannog! Look, that ræbbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer!!! He's got huge, sharp... eh, he can leap about... LOOK AT THE BONES!!!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw&sns=em[/URL]

User

IMO airsoft training can be a great addition to your total package. But, I really think that "weapons handling" should be forgotten about when doing so. You're not going to get a bang, you're not going to get recoil, you're not going to get realistic ballistic behavior. You're not going to get realistic anything that has anything to do with the gun itself.

It should be used as a "mindset" tool. With square range and comp shoots you can train all the gun-specific aspects. But you shoot at static targets that are most often than not on a singular plane of existence, and they generally don't really think for themselves and counter your moves or shoot back.

On the flip side of the coin it's good to feel what it feels like when being shot back at. To see you can't move as quick as you do when shooting IDPA for a good score. But that's all mental aspects and has nothing to do with the gun. Except if you live in the states and can afford good quality reality based gear that actually gives you recoil and bang, like simmunitions.
    Beware the killer ræbbit of Caerbannog! Look, that ræbbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer!!! He's got huge, sharp... eh, he can leap about... LOOK AT THE BONES!!!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw&sns=em[/URL]

In my opinion to get the most out of airsoft FoF, you also need to invest in a Blue/Yellow/Red ( or even pink if it blows your hair back :D) gun and then incorporate Live fire, airsoft FoF and close range resistance training with the dummy gun into your training regime.

This should give you the best of all worlds with regards to weapon manipulation and shooting skills (live fire), movement etc... (airsoft FoF) and then your close range weapon retention etc... (Blue Gun).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Carter View Post
    In my opinion to get the most out of airsoft FoF, you also need to invest in a Blue/Yellow/Red ( or even pink if it blows your hair back :D) gun and then incorporate Live fire, airsoft FoF and close range resistance training with the dummy gun into your training regime.

This should give you the best of all worlds with regards to weapon manipulation and shooting skills (live fire), movement etc... (airsoft FoF) and then your close range weapon retention etc... (Blue Gun).
    +1

but you need a real instructor for that. personally i'd love to try it out and learn new things.
    just because im good at urban paintball, doesnt mean i'm good at airsoft or real situations. different forms of cover, tactics, no "respawn", etc etc.
    like white said... you learn how quick you're able to get shot, in paintball and airsoft.
    one tiny mistake (tactical or patience).... and you're screwed. escalate that to a REAL situation? hmmm.

AmoK! SA will be presenting courses at FBGC this year. I believe the first one will be Intro to Blade and Edged Weapons on The 18th Feb 2012. Later on we will be doing our 3 day Fighting For Your Gun course as well as a weapons handling course.

I'll let you know when & how much etc... as and when I have the information.

User

I agree with that.

Mistakes I often catch myself making with airsoft are not using my sights properly and poor muzzle & trigger awareness. Since your eye can follow the trajectory of the airsoft BB you tend to start shooting instinctively vs. using your sights properly. What do you do when you drop something for instance? With an airsoft you simply pick it up, right. Where was your muzzle pointing and where was your trigger finger? Use the same care and safety rules you would with a real FA, or you'll pick up very bad habits.

User

AmoK! SA will be presenting courses at FBGC this year. I believe the first one will be Intro to Blade and Edged Weapons on The 18th Feb 2012. Later on we will be doing our 3 day Fighting For Your Gun course as well as a weapons handling course.

I'll let you know when & how much etc... as and when I have the information.
    hey man
    please send me some info on the 3day thing? :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast