Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Default Donated Now What?

Ok So some kind soul has donated me a nice pistol to me. Done the SAPS requirements safe inspection on Tuesday and then what. Legally I can not keep the firearm. One guy at the station says i can hand it in under section 13 for storage??? My concern the dam station just lost some pistols.... Who is going to keep the firearm safe and clean during the time it takes to get the licence??? Can I not hand it to a person who is currently legally licenced for safe storage?
    I hack for charity, Shoot for fun!

Default Re: Donated Now What?

You could go the SAPS539 route and store it but this will only help you until the end of June09. The other option would have been to book it in at a dealer and then apply for the licence with the dealer being the current licence holder but if you have applied already...not a option anymore. The last option would be to apply for a Section 21 Permit.

All else fail...you would (it seems) have to hand in for storage at the SAP. There still remains confusion regarding this issue and there are conflicting stories and interpretations.

I'd book it into the dealer even if I had already applied. Any difficulties this would cause pale in comparison to dealing with the SAPS losing/selling/damaging the gun.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

User

I am assuming that the donor gave it to you cos he does not wish to renew his licence.

If that is the case, let him keep the firearm. ask for a detailed invoice confirming the sale of the firearm. then he should draft a sworn affidavit stating that he did not renew his licence and wishes to sell the firearm to you. on approval of your licence he will hand it over. and if for some reason he is declined then its his problem to dispose of it

But can a dealer book it into his stock once you have applied for the licence already? As far as I know not..

The dealer can book it "in" but not as stock and come end Jun'09 there is no valid license and thus the dealer can't keep it either...

Also the original owner can't keep the firearm beyond end Jun'09 if he did not appy for relicensing and at end of Jun'09 he no longer has a valid license....

This is a big problem.....

Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    But can a dealer book it into his stock once you have applied for the licence already? As far as I know not..
    I think that this can be done.

I'm sure Khumba, as a dealer, can shed light.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Would be good to hear the answer on that one.

User

I think it's clear that the Registrar did not apply his mind to the intricacies of the situation when he decided that 539s would no longer be acceptable after June...

And most dealers are charging Rent on stored firearms. R100 bucks a month for 2 years if you are lucky is just another cost we should not have to bear.

User

Quote Originally Posted by SSP
    Quote Originally Posted by Corné
    I think that this can be done.

I'm sure Khumba, as a dealer, can shed light.
    Yes, if the current license holder book it in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast