Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tough Targets: When Criminals Face Armed Resistance from Citizens,

The ostensible purpose of gun control legislation is to reduce firearm deaths and injuries. The restriction of access to firearms will make criminals unable to use guns to shoot people. Gun control laws will also reduce the number of accidental shootings. Those are the desired effects, at least in theory. It is important, however, for conscientious policymakers to consider not only the stated goals of gun control regulations, but the actual results that they produce.

What would be the effect of depriving ordinary, law-abiding citizens from keeping arms for self-defense? One result seems certain: the law-abiding would be at a distinct disadvantage should criminals acquire guns from underground markets. After all, it is simply not possible for police officers to get to every scene where they are urgently needed.

Outside of criminology circles, relatively few people can reasonably estimate how often people use guns to fend off criminal attacks. If policymakers are truly interested in harm reduction, they should pause to consider how many crimes — murders, rapes, assaults, robberies — are thwarted each year by ordinary persons with guns. The estimates of defensive gun use range between the tens of thousands to as high as two million each year.

This paper uses a collection of news reports of self-defense with guns over an eight-year period to survey the circumstances and outcomes of defensive gun uses in America.

Federal and state lawmakers often oppose repealing or amending laws governing the ownership or carrying of guns. That opposition is typically based on assumptions that the average citizen is incapable of successfully employing a gun in self-defense or that possession of a gun in public will tempt people to violence in "road rage" or other contentious situations. Those assumptions are false. The vast majority of gun owners are ethical and competent. That means tens of thousands of crimes are prevented each year by ordinary citizens with guns.

VIEW THE STUDY HERE : http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=14031

PODCAST HERE: http://www.cato.org/multimedia/daily...e-use-firearms
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

Banned

Default Re: Tough Targets: When Criminals Face Armed Resistance from Citizens,

Good posts on the issue Frank, +10

The anc is fully aware of the effect the disarmament have. They know it is costing lots of lives each year, they don't care, but perhaps the intention goes beyond 'innocent' disarmament.

Complete control, especially over those who owns property or land - which is the next 'amendment' in the constitution. As Zuma said on TV, 'land ownership is a sensitive matter, it is a matter of life and death' (aimed at Pieter Mulder who said the land in the northern Cape historically belongs to whites)

Nothing is however said about the fact that all the land owned was bought either from the black people, or from the government. The government wants to decide what your property is worth so that when they want you off of it they will make a suitable for themselves price (payable to you over the next two years), and deffinately experience no resistance putting you off it. And it's not only going to apply to farms.

Those unwilling to get off their property will simply be murdered. No difference between here and Zim, too many whites in the way. Before anyone attack this as 'political incorrect', tell me why we are being disarmed. No, it's not to reduce crime :-D

Watch this video then tell me I'm wrong

User

Fanie, the disarmament of citizens is a concept coming from far beyond just the ANC: it is pretty much a UN mandated doctrine. You can put any conspiracy theory spin on it, but the facts are that increasingly centralised global governments do not like their citizens (or subjects?) having firearms at their disposal. The US seems to be a great exception to the rule, and even there the ruling Democrat regime isn't particularly firearm friendly.

On the upside: in the event of total apocalyptic anarchy, how hard would you think it would be toget your hands on guns and ammo? Not very!

Quote Originally Posted by Infidellic Pagan Scum View Post
    On the upside: in the event of total apocalyptic anarchy, how hard would you think it would be toget your hands on guns and ammo? Not very!
    Ask the millions of jews that were eradicated how easy it was to get guns...

User

I am so tired of this continious bullshit.

If this is such an issue, pack your fucking bags and go find another country to live in.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    That was more of a planned genocide enacted upon people by a well armed and militarily disciplined regime...I just cannot see our unionised and under-motivated (and under-trained) police and army pulling something like that off. I was more thinking of a anarchic zombie-apocalypse type of scenario where giant mobs of people randomly kill others for food/water/shelter.

User

Quote Originally Posted by F a n i e View Post
    (aimed at Pieter Mulder who said the land in the northern Cape historically belongs to whites)
    Again your powers of comprehension fails you.

That is not what he had said.
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

Im not discussing this within the South african context.

I believe in a "zombie situation" it would be much the same, they arent just going to be lying around.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Scuba Steve View Post
    Im not discussing this within the South african context.

I believe in a "zombie situation" it would be much the same, they arent just going to be lying around.
    True, they won't: but the government sure isn't going to try and stop you getting one just because you don't have a piece of plastic with your name on it.

My point is: disarmament of citizens is only effective as long as the presiding regime is capable of enforcing the aforementioned disarmament whilst maintaining total control of the population's response to being disarmed. For this to happen you need a strong and well equipped army and police force capable of maintaining internal control of the country. The only reason a government has a desire to do this, is to strengthen itself because it fears it may lose control over its citizens (which it shouldn't be controlling in a democracy in the first place) - hence the reason that total anarchy removes the restriction of owning arms from the population: nobody can prevent you from getting a gun anymore.

Banned

Fanie, the disarmament of citizens is a concept coming from far beyond just the ANC: it is pretty much a UN mandated doctrine.
    A comfortable coincidence. Won't surprise me a bit if the anc involved the UN, money talks.

I was more thinking of a anarchic zombie-apocalypse type of scenario where giant mobs of people randomly kill others for food/water/shelter.
    One method of getting rid of a certain group yes, especially if they are armed through 'gun losses' and hidden arms cashes... consider the songs sung 'kille the...' and the idea that a certain group stole their land and is the reason for their poverty and 'freedom struggle'.

Exactly. Just having an unlicensed gun gets you 15 years in jail... not even murderers get 15 years.

If you consider that the european countries are going bankrupt, then cheap resources from SA would be a comfortable suplement. How did the UK, a small island, get it's riches - and kept it's currency value - if it wasn't for gold and diamonds they took from other countries.

I am so tired of this continious bullshit..
    So are we.
    If this is such an issue, pack your fucking bags and go find another country to live in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast