Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    User

Default Re: Czech Sa vz. 58 Sporter TACTICAL .223 Rem (5.56 x 45 mm)

I think I have to "test" one for you guys for a little while, since I dont know any of you from a bar of soap and will be "objective"....

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Quote Originally Posted by North Eastern Arms View Post
    Paul here is the only one I have ever heard of that had a VZ go down on him.. he must just be lucky. ;)
    I'm real special that way.

This was in '82. The rifle was in brand new out the box condition (only one, slightly unfortunate, previous owner). I had run a couple of mags through the piece to check functioning. We were operating in small teams of 3 or 4 and consequently humping obscene weights in an unsupported role. I picked up the VZ the first time and it was lust at first feel... lust for the half kilo or so it trimmed off my loadout. 30 years and 40 kilos ago I was a scrawny little 75kg runt... but adrenaline does funny things to you. Torqued that little sucker's receiver the first time I really needed it. Could never trust it after that. Deja vu with the Wilson KZ45 at the SADPA Africa Champs two years ago... haven't shot that since either.

I trust I shall be convinced that the VZs are GTG.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

How did you torque a thick-walled milled receiver? Especially being a runt?

I had one of mine in the back of the tractor once for a coyote gun.. it fell off and I ran it over with weighted 2 ton tire full of calcium. I broke the front sight hood, slightly bent the barrel and crushed the dust cover. Went home, tossed on a new dust cover, straightened the barrel with a pipe wrench and it was good to go. Not so much as a wiggle in the receiver. There's a lot of metal there.

I have a good friend that was working PSD is Iraq.. his truck took an IED. Threw his VZ 100m up the road. All it did was trash the Eotec on the handguard and bent the folding stock when it hit the pavement. He continued to use it through his time there. He had a guy on his team later in the tour that took an AK round in the magwell, straight through, blew his mag to shit. All he had to do was change the mag.. it still ran. (lucky SOB).

Maybe you experienced some of that.. what the hell do they call it?... "user error"? hahaha.

.. another time I launched one into space with a home made potato cannon. Even with the cold of space and the following heat of re-entry there was nary a scratch. Luckily it landed on the thatched roof of a local beer bar. Sitting gently on the floor.

I may not be able to back up that last story, but the first 3 are legit. :D

User

Quote Originally Posted by North Eastern Arms View Post

CSA Rifles in .223 - In my opinion chambering the VZ in .223 is bullshit. Why when the only thing cheaper than .223 is 7.62x39?? The Sly move was the AR mag adapter for the .223 rifle though. Canada is one of the largest civilian markets for the VZ. We have some strange laws, the one that people try to capitalize on most is our mag capacity. The short story is that a rifle mag is limited to 5rnds, a pistol mag to 10. The LAR-15 Pistol (AR pistol) came out and they made mags specifically for it and marked as such. Because the mags are limited and not the weapon it's in, they found a loophole; these 10rnd mags can be used in AR's. Anything that you can get these mags into in Canada is a big seller. CSA exploits this with a magwell adapter, now VZ Shooters can double their capacity. ...still a shitty cartridge for this platform, but for paper-punching you can't argue that 10rnds isnt better than 5. However; if given the option and mag capacity is not a concern, 7.62x39 is the way to go.
    NEA just one point about the RSA market 7.62 x 39 isn't really all that cheap in RSA, sometimes we cant even get it. But we always have supplies of 5.56 x 45 as lots of smaller RSA companies make factory reloads that retail at fairly decent prices.

Would any of you gun dealers import looooooooooads of 7.62 x 39 and make it cheap for us?

However, thanks for the info. These are on the list

User

Well then that's an issue. I was buying Czech steel core surplus for ~ 1000R per crate. 5.56mm is about 200% more expensive here.

.. There is lots of Surplus x39 out there. I know of a few people sitting on +1M rounds of it in box cars. With a couple wars wrapping up, there should be some new production ammo hitting the market soon as well.

My guess is that none of that will ever see daylight in SA. Africa in general has a vested interest in keeping 7.62x39 out of the hands of civilians, for reasons you should know. I suspect that .223 / 5.56 will continue to be the 'good guys' caliber...but I could be wrong
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    My guess is that none of that will ever see daylight in SA. Africa in general has a vested interest in keeping 7.62x39 out of the hands of civilians, for reasons you should know. I suspect that .223 / 5.56 will continue to be the 'good guys' caliber...but I could be wrong
    Pity people seem to blame circumstance instead just taking responsibility. Calibre should never matter, but politik and all restricts our freedom to choose.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

I guess the fact that we have several 'metric shit tonnes' (tm T) of AKs buried in the ground and dotted around various old ANC storage facilities, but now accessible to those screaming and shouting and burning stuff in the name of service delivery might be a reason why the prolific importation of 7.62x39 ammo would be discouraged.

Besides, if it were really an issue PMP could resume production of the calibre...
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Africa in general has a vested interest in keeping 7.62x39 out of the hands of civilians, for reasons you should know.
    Do tell.

User

keeping them in-line perhaps?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast