Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default PMP Ammo??????use or stay away

Just want to get some thoughts and opinions on .270win bullets. How is PMP? Still new to this and what i have heard some people say its fine no problems and then the next guy says if you want to quest the rest of your life get PMP.
    So any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks guys

my heart at the sea and my soul in the mountains

Default Re: PMP Ammo??????use or stay away

i think high of PMP products and their PRO AM line is very good.
    live out your imagination , not your history.

User

Nothing wronge with them.

User

You don't have to start threads all over the place for the same thing.
    PMP Pro Amm is as good as a conventional bullet can get, I would avoid it in high velocity calibres like the .270 though.
    Loaded ammo is of very high quality and consistence, if you are an occasional hunter it will do just fine if you practice enough and place the shots right.

User

I also agree, PMP Pro Am are excellent ammo for most hunters - accurate and reliable. However, should you require premium bullets, you need to consider reloading.

User

I used PMP Pro-Amm exclusively until I started reloading! I have a 243 and chrono'd the PMP's at 2850fps average in my rifle. I only used it on springbok and blesbok though.

Not sure about performance on big antelope at close range in a .270W though. Might break up and cause excessive damage.

User

I have used PMP's .375 300 grain round soft nose bullets for some years with out problems. Until last year, I had one bullet disintegrate on the lower shoulder of a blouwildebees and another disintegrated in the lung of a blouwildebees. My loads are 2 grains under minimum. May be just a pair of duds in the box. Any ways will be trying Sierra Game Kings this year. A friend of mine uses Pro Am and swears by them in his 308 and 270.

User

Quote Originally Posted by robmag View Post
    I have used PMP's .375 300 grain round soft nose bullets for some years with out problems. Until last year, I had one bullet disintegrate on the lower shoulder of a blouwildebees and another disintegrated in the lung of a blouwildebees. My loads are 2 grains under minimum. May be just a pair of duds in the box. Any ways will be trying Sierra Game Kings this year. A friend of mine uses Pro Am and swears by them in his 308 and 270.
    Your loads are 2 grains under minimum, no wonder they don't work.

User

I have been using the Pro Amm 180gr in my .308 and have not had any issue that I could blame on the bullet. Last year a PH took down a wounded BWB bull with my rifle, broadside, no issues.

User

Quote Originally Posted by shark_za View Post
    PMP Pro Amm is as good as a conventional bullet can get, I would avoid it in high velocity calibres like the .270 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff
    Not sure about performance on big antelope at close range in a .270W though. Might break up and cause excessive damage.
    Friend shot a Gemsbok in Nam two years ago with his 270, rangefinder said 170m. Pro-Amm went in just behind the right shoulder, through the top of the heart and lodged under the skin on the opposite side. The young (but fully-grown) bull fell right where he stood. While we suspect the core may have separated (the skinners gave us the remains of a copper cup, but later on we grew suspect if it really was THE bullet...) meat damage was minimal. of course, if he had aimed for the shoulder it may have been a different story.

I shot a springbok directly after that at 230m, same rifle, same ammo. hit her right on the shoulder, bullet exited through the other shoulder. here meat damage was what one would expect with the bone being hit.

:- P

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast