Default Sports adventure shooting 11 February 2012

Sports adventure shooting
    11 February 2012
    07h00

Weather: Light rain, cloudy and breezy at first thereafter sunny hot & humid.

6 intrepid souls found themselves on a wet & muddy range, but as the saying goes ”If it’s raining we’re training”

Fortunately the partially roofed over clubhouse provided shelter where we could do admin. You can do many things in the rain, paperwork is nt one of them though.

After a the prayer and safety, medical briefing we moved to the 25 meter line and began checking zero’s then moving to 50 & finally 100m.

Some participants had issues with reloaded ammo, which probably solved by full length resizing of the doppie.

Then it was a dot torture drill incorporating transitions between handgun & long gun additionally strong side/weak side shooting was also thrown into the mix.

Thereafter some drawing and shooting with weak hand ONLY was practiced. At first with empty chamber. It was an interesting drill. Thanks Bushboy for the demo.

Next on the schedule was drawing under pressure.
    Starting with an empty chamber an “attacker” would place as much pressure on the participant making it difficult for him to draw the gun. Once the participant had touched his fire arm the attacker would rapidly clear to the rear ;-) (As the saying goes do no try this at home)

As knife drills do not receive the attention they should we practiced deploying the knives & stabbing and finally slashing the targets. Personally it takes longer to deploy my knife than my pistol.
    Some changes need to be made.

Food for thought: When deploying a knife whilst been harassed/attacked it soaks up significant time & space trying to deploy either the knife or pistol.

Then it was time for moving in shooting from the 400m line.
    Working in two pairs the team would engage steel plates suspended beneath a tripod from the 350m line onwards.
    The plates had to be hit & the team was not allowed to move unless the plates closest to them were swinging to & fro.

Additionally the some of the plates were hanging at awkward angles and thus the shooter had to manoeuvre himself into a better position, whilst maintain a safe shooting angle. Whilst everything was done safely I still feel we have not “cracked” the shooting & moving concept. This is going to require a bit more thought to establish principles & then put it into practice.

Our final drill consisted of NSA shoot for those who have NSA dedicated status.

After clearing the range we returned to the club house for a discussion on the elements of tracking.

My thanks to the regulars who made it, those who popped in later due to family commitments, and those who could not make it due to car electrical issues.

Next session is 17 March 2012 and will include the first Level 1 qualification for the year. I would encourage you test yourself and your gear. It is a great day outdoors and great for building confidence.

Pm or email me at
    camouflage762@gmail.com and I will send you all the info.

Cheers

Camo
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Default Re: Sports adventure shooting 11 February 2012

Hey Camo, would one be able to do this if you do not have a semi auto rifle?

Of course.
    The emphasis is on using what you have.
    Lots of guys run bolt actions & we have even had some lever actions qualify on L1 & L2.

It s my opinion that the some of the guys who are using bolts are generally better at it than many who run semi's. Accuracy is final. Simplicity is wonderful.
    Recent studies show that 1 out of every 3 liberals are just as dumb as the other 2

User

Hey camo could you perhaps email me the details on this course etc. vanstaden7285@gmail.com thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    Hey Camo, would one be able to do this if you do not have a semi auto rifle?
    Some of the bolt action guys at SAS are REALLY good, and as Sean has said on some occasions: usually the semi-auto's only provides suppression fire for the bolt action guys to do their thing!

Nice write up Camo!
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

Thanks 47.
    Hope to see you on the range more often.

__________________________________________________ _______________________________

@ Freakaziod check your pm's