Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Collecting deactivated firearms

Hi All,

Sorry if this has been discussed but I couldn't find any info anywhere on the forum.

Does one need a license , and what license , to collect deactivated firearms?

If I were to get a rifle that my Grandfather owns , deactivated , can I take it to any gunsmith to deactivate?
    Same for any other firearms I find that I would like to have and display maybe.

How would deactivating , affect the value?

Thanks.

User

Default Re: Collecting deactivated firearms

From what I have seen deactivating may have an initial increase in trade value but as a collectable this is ruined.

I feel dirty talking about it.

plus its not cheap to get them deactivated, nor is it cheap to purchase cool stuff that has sadly been deactivated.

by all means go for it, no license required, but for what some of the stuff is going to cost you (for the really nice stuff anyway), I would just do my collectors and get the real thing.

I have a room in the house where I want to display these deactivated firearms on the walls. The main reason being that they come from family lines, I have no use for a rifle and would rather get it deactivated and displayed on the wall with a little plaque.

I think collecting is the wrong term , rather "keeping" the firearms.

collecting is the right term

User

Collecting is the right term, however, "firearm" is not.

A deactivated ex-firearm is not a firearm in terms of the Act, and you don't need any licences etc. I would however make sure I have paperwork proving the thing is in fact deactivated.

Thanks. The gunsmith who deactivates provides this documentation? should I get something from a SAPS office?

I was looking into this with some of my dads F.A that wasnt worth licensing , I went to see the FRC and was advised I need to license them first then only can I apply to have them deactivated , All and all it would take 8 years to do and cost about 2 K per F.A. I decided against this , Just not worth it

Hectic

no way, that cant be right. The person currently in possession just has to take it to be deactivated, that is what I was told and back then - it was R650.00 per firarm for deactivation with a certificate.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast