Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Collecting deactivated firearms

Quote Originally Posted by blind View Post
    Seems easier to store the rifle at a gunshop then and try and get it licensed...
    That is what I ended up doing

User
    GP, but in my mind, hunting for Ivory in the 1930's

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSheerGuns View Post
    The SAPS are actually supposed to take it to the gunshop themselves to have it deactivated, but in my experience they often give it to the owners to deliver.

DSG
    Ok on the first part and deep sigh on the second...

User

My father baught 2 deacticated rifles about 30 years ago, from an auction i think. He has no recollection of any paper work or where it might be. I would like to take them off his hands as he doesn't want them anymore.

Would i be able to take them to a gunsmith and get a certificate of deactivation from him? Would i then still have to visit my DFO?

User

Quote Originally Posted by CorditeCrazy View Post
    Sorry I am just thowing it out there: after they have done the balistic testing(to check if the FA was used in a crime) they give it back to you, then you go get it deactivated. So you can go out after they give it back to you, murder someone, hijack or whatever, get it deactivated and get off scott free, because they cant do any further testing on the said FA!!! Looks like a rather large loop hole if you ask me.
    (My Aplogies to resurrect an ancient thread, but I now stumble onto all these looking on deactivation info)
    Surely, one cannot get off scott free, as the said weapon has already been run through ballistics before being de-activated and is on record so that it can be still matched to the crime?

User

Ady - interesting one and not been tested in court but, prior to the current FCA, there was no de-activation spec. 30 Years ago the receivers/frames were not classified as 'firearms' as they are now so the norm was just to weld up the barrel. The FCA/Regulations now have very specific specs which include work on the action and bolt as well as the barrel in the case of rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    My father baught 2 deacticated rifles about 30 years ago, from an auction i think. He has no recollection of any paper work or where it might be. I would like to take them off his hands as he doesn't want them anymore.

Would i be able to take them to a gunsmith and get a certificate of deactivation from him? Would i then still have to visit my DFO?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3