Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Default Firearms Registry in operational disarray

Firearms Registry in operational disarray

13 February 2012
    Release: immediate

The Central Firearms Registry (CFR) is in operational disarray following an alleged restructuring of this South African Police Service (SAPS) division which processes civilian firearms applications and registrations.

The Democratic Alliance (DA) understands that most staff at the CFR have allegedly been promoted to senior level with nobody left to do the actual licence capturing.

In addition to the significant reshuffle of staff, I have been informed that the passwords have been changed on computers and that the CFR has come to a halt. Repeated attempts to contact the CFR proved unsuccessful as the phones have allegedly been disconnected.

Thousands of legal firearm owners who have complied with the legislation have sat waiting for years while their gun licence applications and renewals have languished in boxes at police stations. Unreasonable delays and rejected applications without reasons given are not in the best interests of people who require protection from violent criminals.

This appears to be the consequences of Police Minister Nathi Mthethwa’s announcement of a complete overhaul of the CFR in November 2010 “from the top structure to the station level.”

The Minister, at the time, sited the gross failure in the implementation and administration of the Firearms Control Act which necessitated the turnaround strategy.

It is becoming increasingly apparent that neither the Minister nor the CFR possess the will or capacity to address the serious challenges at the division.

I will be submitting parliamentary questions to the Minister to determine the extent of the state the CFR is currently in and why another overhaul of the division was needed.

The DA will also investigate the feasibility of requesting a forensic audit of the implementation of the Firearms Control Act and the state of affairs at the CFR.

Media Enquiries:

Dianne Kohler Barnard MP
    Shadow Minister of Police
    082 823 7047

Piera Abbott
    Senior Media Officer
    076 130 5779

Dianne Kohler Barnard MP is the DA's Shadow Minister of Police. She has travelled widely, and has extensive experience as a journalist and broadcaster. Ms. Kohler Barnard entered Parliament in 2004, and has previously served as the party’s spokesperson on Arts and Culture, and Health
    "Guns are just tools, the way they're used reflects the society they're apart of, if you don't like guns, blame it on society" ~Chris Kyle

User

Default Re: Firearms Registry in operational disarray

Here we go...
    [b]Be ready for anything, and if his head is not at least two meters away from the body, do not 'assume' he is dead and out of the fight.[/b] [I]- Ikor[/I]

User

F#C<!!! I am just about to submit my license app :(

Please dont let this effect my S21's!
    MOLON LABE

User

It is already affecting one of mine.

I just submitted mine

User

Dianne took the time to personally respond to my emails about firearm ownership in the past - she seems to have a good head on her shoulders.

Oh FFS. Will it never end? And I was hoping the reshuffle would bring about good things.

Can we contact Estee de Klerk for a follow up programme? And get the class action going again.

User

Truth?

or...

Polital Posturing?

There are two sides to every story... I would suggest that we await proof before going off the handle and just accepting that the CFR is disfunctional. (as stated in the release).

I received a direct call from the CFR late last week, enquiring about my S21... that does not indicate that things have come to a stand-still! The opposite, in fact...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast