Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Recoil Reducers

User

Default Re: Recoil Reducers

Thanks Paul
    A roaring Lion kills no game

User

When people buy a powerful sportscar, they relish the kick in the back when accelerating hard. They want to feel the power of the engine. Why are we not the same with a powerful rifle? Why can't we rather enjoy the power than fear the recoil? If your technique is correct, most people will be handle the heaviest of heavy rifles without getting hurt. For me, the recoil is the biggest thril of firing an elephant cruncher.

User

Kaspaas, while I have absolutely no problems with my .416 Rigby, my clients do.

I find them flinching and closing their eyes. All I want in the end is a clean kill, and if less recoil means a well placed shot, it saves me hours following up

User

Best investment I've made while pimping my rifle was a Limbsaver recoil pad. Looks a bit more space-age than a pachmaer, but going from a blue shoulder after 20 shots to a day at the range testing loads, is worth every cent and the effort of buying it from the USA

Banned

krobar been about a year now that you had that aviator. STILL one of the sickest I have seen.

I've shot a 458 Lott with mercury tubes installed. (Rick Wilson's) It kicked about as much as my Marlin 30-30. So, yes, huge difference! By the way - slightly off thread - My Howa 30-06 has a hogue overmoulded stock on it with a built in recoil pad. It also feels extremely nice to shoot - I shoot full power 180gr handloads and it also feels like a 30-30. So you could go the recoil reducer route or just look at really good recoil pads. I also have a Past recoil pad that I wear when shooting heavy loads out of my shottie. Also works very well, but messes with your length of pull.

The only way to reduce actual recoil is to increase the weight of the rifle. The mercury inserts seem logical, but if I was going to use one I'd want it filled with mercury to add the most weight. A couple of lead bars in the stock should work nicely.

To reduce felt recoil, there are accessories.

I've fitted a Beartooth recoil pad kit to my 45-70, and finally I can shoot the thing without it trying to kill me. I originally had fitted a recoil pad on the stock, which didn't help much. Now it's much better.

The Beartooth is a neoprene sleeve with high density foam inserts of various thicknesses. You put in as many as you need. I've effectively increased the stock length by about 30mm , which is better for my arm length anyway. The neoprene fits tightly over the base of the stock, and doesn't slide around like other slip on pads I've tried.

User

Ordered an Edwards "The Max" Recoil Reducer from Brownells on the 28th August. Cost $65. Priority Mail International $11.25.
    It arrived today. Customs R191

It's already installed and will have a test run next weekend.

Will provide feedback

You will have to run it in

User

my Howa 3006 with a muzzle break feels like a .223. When I am on the range at the firing line I expect people to have hearing protection on so when my rifle go bang , muzzle break or not, they should not have any issues. I havent had anyone complain ......yet!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast