User

Default what shotgun shell carrier for IDPA DMG ?

With 6 rounds spare (max) on person or gun ,where is most competitors keeping that ammo ?
    If using a belt carrier - what type ? if strong side in front of holster (max. width of 82.5mm) what options are there that are IDPA legal ?

thanks
    Craig

Side saddle on the shottie is the fastest IMO bud..

User

Default Re: what shotgun shell carrier for IDPA DMG ?

Quote Originally Posted by costheydontmakea46 View Post
    Side saddle on the shottie is the fastest IMO bud..
    Imo a carrier like California Competition Works is the fastest and that is why the serious 3 gunners in the USA are using those types of carriers - you strip 3 or 4 rounds at a time and feed the tube with the 3 or 4 rounds from the support hand.

For IDPA DMG 2 x 3 round carriers should be fine but 2 x 4 should also be good - only use the capacity to comply with DMG rules.

You can also prepare and work with 3 x 4 for the instances where there is a course of fire in the match that dictates starting with an empty gun. No ammo carry method is going to be faster than these types of carriers when you start gun empty, especially none that require 1x 1 feeding of the tube from loop type carriers due to too many movements from gun to carrier and back.

If you do not practice in the use of it most probably the side saddle is simpler to use.

+1000 Khumba!
    We use side saddle ammo carriers and the CCW speed strippers. It takes practise to find how many rounds you can effectively grab hold of and load, but is definitely faster than loading from a 12g ammo belt.
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

I am shooting my first 3 gun event on saturday. I am using my brothers 870 but it does not have a side saddle on it. WHat is the best way to reload then? Just from a pocket of a concealed vest or maybe a diy shell holder on the belt?

Loose in a pocket is a problem due to shotshells escaping your grasp and ending up backwards, in between fingers, etc. Its too clumsy.
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

I have ordered 2 samples of the Carbon Arms TWinS system to try out - if it works like the manufacturer say it does we will stock them as dealer.

They claim it is faster than the 3x or 4x caddys.

For IDPA this might just be the way to go.

I should have them in about 2 weeks time and will try them and see how it works out, and if it works out we place an order.

These carriers are fairly expensive but for IDPA you will most probably only need 2 max and most probably be able to get by with one most of the time.

2 x 2 reloading

4 x 4 reloading

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Sheee-it!

Keeping it tactically correct is going to take some double-jointedness in the weak hand, but it should work.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

So i ended up getting a simple 6 round butt stock sleeve to use for this saturday. WIll invest in something for the future when I have done some research.