Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FoF Trainers

Default FoF Trainers

Does anyone perhaps have an idea on how to construct cheap and safe Force on Force training knives?
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

Default Re: FoF Trainers

Conveyer belt? Not the type with steel in, the other kind.

Don't know who sells the used stuff, but it worked well as you can cut it fairly easily into almost any knife shape.

User

I bought 2 training blades from gogreengear in Capetown and while you are there have a look at the G19 training gun. Not the best finished training gun, but if you going to throw it around, what ever. They are also heavy into AMOK etc. I`ve only had very good service from them. Enjoy.

Thanks - didn't think about conveyor belt....

I know about GoGreenGear - will check it out, thanks Vaal.

I thought about using a piece of a pool noodle with those plastic electrical pipes - one just have to make sure the tip is safe.
    Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving with a well preserved body...

User

rather use the new orangy plastic water pipe- it's stiff but much more flexible than the white PVC conduit and won't crack into sharp bits. If you can find it, the insulating foam that they use on airocn pipes is great. Not as bulky as a pool noodle, but it can rip, so finish it off with a layer of tape. thats the way Cold Steel make their trainers that are used in the Cold Steel Challenge sparring matches.

I've given this lots of thought. Pool noodle is too soft. Perhaps a piece of old car tyre? The conveyor belt piece I had was too soft and flexible, didn't work. Then I thought of getting a very stiff type of silicon, and either making a mold from an existing knife, or just open the tube, let it harden and cut a knife from it.

The aircon foam thing sounds promising, just not sure where to get it.

But in the end, training knives go for around R120, so if you do make one, you need to make sure it comes in way below that. Unless you just like to tinker with stuff.

User

Skaaphaas, I asked the guys when they were installing an aircon at an ex GF's place, and they were happy to give me over a meter of the stuff. its not expensive, just not commonly found in your local hardware store. Maybe ask nicely at a local aircon company.

I am guessing the R120 trainers you refer to are the cold steel replicas. they are great for certain things, but can be a bit too hard for very hard contact sparring. one needs a full range of options from foamies to dulled and rounded off metal blades., and even live blades for some advanced partner drills.

User

The conveyor belt is the best. What you must consider is stabbing contact can often give you some serious lumps and welts with most blades (Amok soft shell, Cold steel trainers, Wood, Plastic mould etc) and his can be dangerous.

Where the conveyor belt is nice is that it is more gentle on stabbing contact but very effective on cuts. I believe that the knife must hurt you a little at least so that you notice the cut/stab and do not learn bad habits.

used a wood core the same profile as your blade but reduced.buy 6 or 8mm thick high density foam and cut it to same profile as the wood core,sandwiching the core.use a strip of foam all the way around the edge of the sandwich layer.
    radius all edges.
    simple and effective,but not a 5 minute job.

btw,this is not my idea,a guy that was in our Amok class made a few trainers this way.you could ask Monty for his details,maybe he'll make a couple for you.
    Last edited by harm; 20-02-2012 at 12:46.
    i take knives to a gunfight

A couple of good ideas - thanks for all the advice!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast