Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default New Hunting Ammunition from PMP

http://www.pacificbreeze353.com/newsletters/index.cfm?y=article&company=17&article=4090&nl=622 &click=web&subsection=51&langu=1

PMP has announced the development of a new series of hunting ammunition which will be known as Kalahari Elite and which will consist of four calibres.

This announcement by Carel Wolhuter, Executive General Manager of PMP, follows on speculation in the media over the past few months that PMP was developing a further series of hunting ammunition but that it was still being kept under wraps.

The original four new calibres are:
    • .243 Winchester 90 grain
    • 25-06 Remington 100 grain
    • .270 Winchester 130 grain
    • 7 mm Remington Magnum 150 grain

This development was preceded by the successful introduction of PMP’s popular African Elite-series in 2008. The latter is loaded with the internationally known Swift A-frame bullets which were imported directly from SWIFT in the USA, and it is manufactured in four calibres - 375 H&H Magnum, .300 Winchester Magnum, 30-06 Springfield and .308 Winchester.

PMP’s standard Super and ProAmm series is outstanding value for money and particularly popular in the American and European markets. Yet the need was identified for lighter bullet types and which are also bundle bullets where the copper and lead are bonded.

The Kalahari Elite series is loaded with another internationally known bullet, the Scirocco, which was also imported directly from Swift Bullet Company in the USA. The bullet’s polymer point initiates dilation and is very meticulously shaped to decrease wind resistance. It is very accurate with 2,5 times the dilation of the original calibre and it has an 85% plus mass retention. Terminal performance is excellent.

According to Wolhuter the production orders have been placed with the factory and the new series will appear on the shelves of dealers during the approaching hunting season.

User

Default Re: New Hunting Ammunition from PMP

Scirocco = $

I presume they will cost a pretty penny, now why would you want to buy such a expensive bullet in a factory loaded round, kind of defeat the purpose?

User

I think it for the chaps who don't want to reload, but still be able to use a premium bullet.

User

Quote Originally Posted by GameFarmer View Post
    I think it for the chaps who don't want to reload, but still be able to use a premium bullet.
    I have done a lot of reading on the net about the scirrocco II, and in particular vs the nosler accubond. The scirocco II seems to perform more or less the same, it just cost more, and many chaps can't get it to group in their rifles. The scirocco II was designed as a long range hunting bullet, but there in lies the problem, you have to spend time to really work up a good load before you can use it for the intended purpose. For the bosvelder shooting at 100m there is no need for this, you go slow and heavy.

User

I don't really know the particular bullet, so cannot comment. The reality is that a lot of hunters do want 'premium' (or to be perceived premium) bullets, but don't have the time or inclination to reload. Reloading after all does take dedication and precision. You have to keep in mind that the US market is ENORMOUS in relation to us few hunters, and PMP is doing very well in the States.

I suspect that this specific range is more aimed at 'longer than bushveld' shots with relatively light bullets for each caliber in the range. The African Elite is more geared to slow and heavy.

But that is purely my perception of what and why PMP offer these.

I do a lot of culling, and although I only shoot my own reloads (in all my rifles), I might even be tempted with that 90gr 243 to ease the burden, with the advantage of getting fresh brass for future reloads, but alas, my rifle is not fond of PMP cases. Pity.

User

Why a 90gr in 243???
    According to the proclamation last year, If I remember correctly, a 100gr bullet is the minimum weight for Impala, Blesbuck, Springbok etc.
    I'm not saying that a 100gr bullet will reliably kill while a 90gr won't...
    All i'm saying is that it's "illegal" to use it on those animals, even though it's impossible to Police

User

PMP African Elite was never for us poor RSA schmoh's. I suppose this Kalahari Elite will go the same route.

I heard that the Swift bullets are good, but not double the price of accubonds or interbonds good.

I'll stick to reloading and be able to afford my shooting.

User

Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff View Post
    PMP African Elite was never for us poor RSA schmoh's. I suppose this Kalahari Elite will go the same route.

I heard that the Swift bullets are good, but not double the price of accubonds or interbonds good.

I'll stick to reloading and be able to afford my shooting.
    That is exactly why many people went away from them in the first place, them catering mostly for overseas markets and forgetting their roots. Will their new range will be properly priced, well we will see?

User

Those calibres are all traditional flat shooters for longer shots.

I wonder why they have omitted the .300 Win Mag? That calibre with a 180gr or 200gr Scirocco II would have complimented the range nicely.

User

They have it in the african elite range with a 200gr swift bullet

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast