Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Quote Originally Posted by Messor View Post
    I will try to put it in perspective.

If you buy a box of Swift 180gr 308 50 rounds that will cost anything from R750 +, let use R750 as a test.
    If you buy the loaded AE round they cost about anything from 700 + , use R700 as a test.

750 / 50 = R15 / bullet
    700 / 20 = R35 / round

So if take of the R15 from the round the rest of the components cost R20!
    If you further consider that PMP should pay much less for the swifts then us normal people then the only conclusion you can arrive at it that Rboshof is totally correct, or that PMP has gone totally bonkers.
    Thank you Messor! Yes the point is that PMP (as the Swift agent in SA) should be able to get the bullets at much cheaper than R15 per bullet. I think AE is overpriced.

Johan, that doesn't mean that the Saffers aren't buying it. I know various people who use it, and it is without exception that they do not load their own ammunition. But even they say it is expensive. I started reloading because PMP Proamm cost me R16.50 per shot with my 30-06 and R12 for my 243. Now with reloading Accubonds I pay R7 per shot with my 30-06.

I am dead keen to test the AE ammo, but at R37.50 per shot it is way to expensive for me. I think it is probably a great product, but I'm not willing to pay that much per shot.

User

Default Re: New Hunting Ammunition from PMP

Quote Originally Posted by rboshoff View Post
    Johan, that doesn't mean that the Saffers aren't buying it. I know various people who use it, and it is without exception that they do not load their own ammunition. But even they say it is expensive. I started reloading because PMP Proamm cost me R16.50 per shot with my 30-06 and R12 for my 243. Now with reloading Accubonds I pay R7 per shot with my 30-06.

I am dead keen to test the AE ammo, but at R37.50 per shot it is way to expensive for me. I think it is probably a great product, but I'm not willing to pay that much per shot.
    rboshoff I concur. I cannot recall how many years ago have I last purchased ammo from a gunshop. My inclination is also to rather buy components and to reload. Apart from the cost saving perspective I am supposedly assembling custom made ammunition that suits my specific needs.

Regards,
    JHN

Banned

Default Re: New Hunting Ammunition from PMP

I was part of a group that visited PMP in January. The amount of bullets they load is done on very old machines that have been adapted to more modern specs. Loading a few million rounds can only be done on a production line.

To develop a single caliber with only one bullet weight costs R500K - R1 million. You then need a market that will buy so that the costs can be recouped. PMP has for a number of years not sold any ammo in America. It is very competitive and returns are very low to non-existant. Europe, Indonesia, South America and the Middle East is their main market. Commercial hunting ammo only makes up 10% of their turn-over.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3