Page 112 of 131 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 ... LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,120 of 1307

Thread: Hunting Photos

Default Re: Hunting Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Moomin View Post
    So after a long struggle, I finally got spend another weekend in the bush with my girls. This time with a rifle that works. Backstory: http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/show...-configuration

Yes, it took longer than it should have.

We were on a farm in Limpopo.

My 16-year-old shot a Blesbok from 140m out. Had to overcome some dramatic "bokkoors". Sat still for a while to calm down, had a calm conversation and then she took the shot when she was ready. Was not her best shot but it was sufficient.

My 15-year-old and I walked for about 5 hours to find anything. From the prone position, we were about 130m out, had a quick conversation about which one to go for. She confirmed where to aim, closed the bolt and a few seconds later the BWB cow went straight down. In sharp contrast to the older sister.

Well done! Makes me look forward even more to my youngest daughter’s first hunt in 2019. She will also be 15 then. She has been my lucky charm when walking with me when I’m hunting and seems to have the right temperament for it.
    How much shooting practice did you undertake with the girls before they were ready if I may ask?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User

Quote Originally Posted by wynand.dewinnaar View Post
    How much shooting practice did you undertake with the girls before they were ready if I may ask?
    I can't recall TBH. It started with a pellet gun. Lost count of the number of pellets after the first box, of many. When the groupings were acceptable, we upgraded to the .22 LR. Bricks of .22 LR were shot out. Once those groupings were acceptable and consistent, we went on our first mini hunt. The rule was/is, what was shot, had to be cleaned, prepared and consumed.

We then moved onto the rifle in the picture. I'd guess both have shot about a 120 rounds with it so far. Both manage a sub 1" grouping at a 100m at present. The 16-year-old generally does better but the younger one performed the best on the day.

None of the three trips had luxury accommodation.

I can't recall TBH. It started with a pellet gun. Lost count of the number of pellets after the first box, of many. When the groupings were acceptable, we upgraded to the .22 LR. Bricks of .22 LR were shot out. Once those groupings were acceptable and consistent, we went on our first mini hunt. The rule was/is, what was shot, had to be cleaned, prepared and consumed.

We then moved onto the rifle in the picture. I'd guess both have shot about a 120 rounds with it so far. Both manage a sub 1" grouping at a 100m at present. The 16-year-old generally does better but the younger one performed the best on the day.

None of the three trips had luxury accommodation.
    Sounds like a good strategy and thanks for sharing. Mine have shot plenty with scoped PCP and some with 22LR. Nothing bigger yet.
    I am keen to follow your approach, appreciated!

User

Quote Originally Posted by wynand.dewinnaar View Post
    Sounds like a good strategy and thanks for sharing. Mine have shot plenty with scoped PCP and some with 22LR. Nothing bigger yet.
    I am keen to follow your approach, appreciated!

If you have read the entire backstory thread, the biggest help was the silencer. It just makes the hunt so much easier to navigate and manage.

If you have read the entire backstory thread, the biggest help was the silencer. It just makes the hunt so much easier to navigate and manage.
    I have a 7x57mm without silencer. I want to buy one of the 6mm calibers with silencer before the next hunting season. Hunting with silencer certainly makes sense. Just another reason for me to get a move on with new rifle. Would prefer to keep the old BSA in original condition.

The rule was/is, what was shot, had to be cleaned, prepared and consumed.
    What did you start them on as a matter of interest?

Thanks the back story was very entertaining and also food for thought. We all pay school fees in some way or another. Glad the girls continued to hunt after the first “unsuccessfull” session. My eldest is not interested at all, but the youngest makes up for enthusiasm and a good hunting instinct.

User

Quote Originally Posted by DaavG View Post
    What did you start them on as a matter of interest?
    a Family member had a few hectares of Mielies and a few with Sunflowers. So we went to protect that from the (insert varint of) pigeons. They each shot one and I assisted them with the first cut for cleaning. The second time (same trip) they did it themselves. They reckoned it tasted like KFC without all the oil.

Thanks Moomin!

User

My daughter performing like a champ. The Ram was moving about the whole time and she patiently waited for it to stop before taking a well-aimed shot.
    The farm staff reckoned it is 23 and 5/8 horns. I'll do a proper measurement later to confirm. I suspect it was a tad shorter.

I'm hoping Max sees the picture. I only saw the barrel touching afterwards. I think he'll "love it"
    hahaha

Page 112 of 131 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 ... LastLast