Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: LM4 or LM5???

User

Default LM4 or LM5???

Hi guys I'M still new on the site but need some advice from people that has one or both or done some shooting with both lm4 and lm5

I will be doing 3gun practical shooting but as I know myself I might want to join high power rifle club shooting distances of 300m+.

is the barrel length THAT much of an issue on the lm4 in 3gun and is the shorter barrel of the lm5 THAT much of a disadvantage on the longer distances?

Since it is sort of an issue getting a license for it I don't want to make the mistake going for the lm4 blindfolded.

Thanks very much

User

Default Re: LM4 or LM5???

Hi Rhino,

The LM series or rather the R series are actually just AK 47's that are somewhat more accurate and in a better caliber than 7.62 x 39.

You will never be consistantly shooting beyond 300 meters with the sighting system, design and caliber combination you propose.

Many of us acquired our Silver or gold shooting badges in the SADF with the R4, and some of that shooting is certainly at 300 meters. I am very doubtful that one can achieve that with an R ( LM) 5.

This comes down to sight radius, ie the distance of the front site to the rear site. The longer site radius will lead to better accuracy.

I have a short barrrelled rifle, and would swop it in a moment for an LM 4. the LM 4 runs at a muzzle velocity of 3100 fps, and the R 5 will probably lose about 200 to 300 fps due to the shorter barrel. This might seem minor, and in a caliber like a 7.62 x 51 ( 308) it might well be. but when pushing an ultralight 55 grain bullet along, the factors of deacceleration are massive. So for those longer shots, the LM 4 will definitely suit you better.

The whole idea about Short barrelled rifles was for personal defence such for truck driver, tankers and Air force personel.

That said, i would take an LM rifle over a AR platform 10 times out of 10 for sheer ruggedness and reliabilty. ( AR's are like Colts, they require TLC to work optimally).

So if you are serious about doing the long range shots, take the LM4. if you want to the concealability, take the LM5. but honestly, you wont be taking your rifle out other than to go to the range, or when the EWECIAWEKI comes ( end of western civilization as we know it), then you will be running around with your rifle exposed anyway.

So dont be afraid of the longer rifle. in the end it may be a better choice.

But either are the bomb if you can get it.

"He who makes a beast of himself, gets rid of the pain of being a man…"

User

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoG26 View Post
    +1

User

thanks ery much for the reply. think I'v made up my mind on the lm 4

why the popcorn? confused

User

Jump on the deal that David advertised.

User

"That said, i would take an LM rifle over a AR platform 10 times out of 10 for sheer ruggedness and reliabilty. ( AR's are like Colts, they require TLC to work optimally)."

Oh I get so tired of this BS......

@Tweety; I challenge you to stack your R / LM against any reputable AR any day of the week!
    He is best who is trained in the severest school! Fear no man.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Ross View Post
    @Tweety; I challenge you to stack your R / LM against any reputable AR any day of the week!
    Let us know where we need to meet at dawn for the showdown.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast