Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: LM4 or LM5???

User

Default Re: LM4 or LM5???

SHEEZ who really cares, AR AK whatever
    long as guys are shooting thats what matters
    i like both platforms, got the ak 1) price 2) i enjoy the platform 3)ammo is cheap in durban

AR i nice, can be tricked up and what not

but if someone wants to shoot a mini 14 i couldnt care less

User

Quote Originally Posted by GAZZAMCK View Post
    SHEEZ who really cares, AR AK whatever
    long as guys are shooting thats what matters
    i like both platforms, got the ak 1) price 2) i enjoy the platform 3)ammo is cheap in durban

AR i nice, can be tricked up and what not

but if someone wants to shoot a mini 14 i couldnt care less
    I disliked the LM simply because of the weight and the amount of extraneous movement for such iddly little holes :) And when I was shopping for an MSR there was pretty much old SP1's and that's it, so I went AK. And I LOVE it.

BUT.

Shopping these days? AR-15. Especially with the price LM's are going for.

User

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Who primarily runs AR's for everything except internet tricks as I understand it.
    Travis caters for all the markets, sorry was trolling....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot LM because South Africa. I shoot AK because Africa. I shoot AR because I want to.

The more pew-pew the better, regardless the platform.

User

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I love commie slave shovels, that's why I have one and a very rare and special one. But my AR is years ahead.
    I thought you sold that??

User

I shoot an LM5 because:
    1. It was free;
    2. Nostalgia;
    That is basically it.
    I won't run optics on it, so when I get to the point where I deem that necessary, I'll get an AR as well (no need to lose the LM...).

User

Quote Originally Posted by Brendank View Post
    I thought you sold that??
    Bought me a new two....

User

Hi Rhino

I have experience with both LM4/5 and here's my experience (18 years). Barrel length up to 300m does not make a difference in grouping at 300m. Its seldom that you will shoot up to 300m during a course and is more the exception than the rule. Meaning more shots are shot at shorter than longer distances. During house clearing the shorter barrel will also have an advantage.

When I shot 3 Gun I use a LM5 with a red dot. Its easier to manhandle between between shooting boxes and around shooting obstacles. The lighter weight and length makes it easier to acquire a target more quicker and moves through a jungle lane. If you will go red dot/scope the accuracy vs open sight at targets more than 50m will improve dramatically.

AR"s have more "Pimp my Gun" accessories on the market than LM 4/5. Think carefully when you decide

Hi everyone

I bought a Mini Ruger 14 a few years back...have now tried everything in the book, but the rifle remains extremely inaccurate.. 200 mm + grouping at 100 m (from bench rest)

Longing back to my R4, I have now decided to buy a LM4 which is the civilian option. Unfortunately, they seem to be very expensive!
    An advert on a LM5 shows that the LM5 comes a bit cheaper. I cannot find any statistics on the difference in grouping between these two rifles at say 100 m

I need a robust, easy handling semi-auto for quick shooting at vermin (bush pigs, warthogs and jackal) on my farm. Range 100 - 200 m

Thank you kindly for your advise

User

Hi SS.

I would say the accuracy potential of the 2 LM rifles are the same. Both should do 1,5" at 100m with quality ammo.

The limitation on the rifles is the sights. When I was 20 years old, I had no problem shooting sub-2" groups from unsupported prone position. Now the eyes will just not allow me to do that without optics. The same applies to a mini-14 and any other rifle with open sights. Looking at the age stated on your profile, I would guess that the same might just apply to you?

So, while I do love the LM's, for more mature shooters there are better options that allow you to mount a decent scope. This is one of the reasons for the various AR types' popularity. There are various scope mounts available for the LM's, but they bolt or clamp on. The integral rail on an AR is obviously better. The typical stocks also allow a better cheek weld.

With preferred ammo, the mini-14 can be accurate. They don't like scope mounts and also tend to eat scopes. Only the toughest scopes and mounts will last, if combined with a buffer. The Ranch Rifle is a little softer on scopes and has integral mounts.

The choice is yours.

May I suggest you post an intro in the "introductions" section?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6