Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    User

Default FA Owners responsibility: WRT Police and Metro

Nice new section

So, to my questions:

1) What responsibility to we have, in terms of declaring that we are carrying a firearm, when stopped in a road-block, or if approached (in general) by a member of the SAPS or Metro? Do we have an obligation to "calmly" advise the officer that we are carrying a legal firearm? Should they request to inspect the firearm (to check license etc), do we romove the FA from the holster (and make the same safe), or request them to do so?

2) Should it happen that an officer requests assistance from a member of public (not that I have ever seen it, but believe that it does happen on occassion) in apprehending\subduing a suspect, what specific considerations are there in terms of our FA? Would you pull out your FA if legally allowed to do so (in defence of yourself, or others) - how would the officer react to this?

Tx

User

Default Re: FA Owners responsibility: WRT Police and Metro

Answer any questions asked with complete honesty. Further than that I will not advise you to volunteer any info. If your firearm is concealed and they do not ask about it then keep quiet.

Sean.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.

so psychosis here is the way I have always approached it

1) if they dont ask why would you advertise? if they do then you reply truthfully but put it this way, I have gone through hundred of roadblocks in my life, I have been asked less than ten times, as to the mechanics of removing a firearm well based on my experience, If I was arresting the guy no, I would remove the firearm, if it was at a normal VCP (roadblock or similar) then I was quite happy that they did so, in fact I would only remove a citizens firearm if they were really nervous etc, but again a cop would analyse the situation if there was a reason why i would believe something hinky was afoot I would approach the situation differently, at roadblocks be calm polite friendly and treat the member as you would any other human being

2 in terms of situation 2 well again you as joe citizen are covered by the same powers and lawfull protection as a police officer, I have utilized this in course of my duties, I asked a night club bouncer to assist me in detaining an unruly suspect I had caught in possession of cocaine, the bouncer broke the suspects arm in course of these actions, the state provided complete support and paid for all legal representation including the civil charge as well, just bear in mind that a police officer requesting your support as such assumes a degree of liaibility for your actions so follow the instructions directly
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

What Sean said.

As to lend help when asked, you have a duty to assist. As for drawing your FA, I really wouldn't. Imagine there is another policeman on the scene. He did not hear his colleague's request for your assistance. He sees a civilian guy with a gun in the mix. He cannot be expected to judge whether you are helping along, or acting like you are helping but actually a suspect, or a suspect that is hostile.

Use your FA to protect your life and those of your loved ones, but leave the police's job to the police.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

ok wait, I am a bit confused, is this the forum where people ask leo's current and former for their opinion or the part where they ask everyone?
    I am studying an awesome brand of leg fighting which was inspired by dung beetles and I think my brand of Kraft Manure is superior to all other styles ever invented. Furthermore I challenge all other manurists to a rolling contest where we shall establish whose manure ball is the biggest! I shall call it Honest Kraft Manure and declare it superior to all other brands of manure and will tell you that I have claimed the lineage directly to Imshi the great Dragon Kru Master Beetler who invented manuring, by gathering all manure from different animals together and making it work as the worlds most effective fertilizer. I proved myself by being members of not one but three super elite special gardening departments who were responsible for spreading manure to combat weed infestations!

User

1) I don't volunteer any information. If asked if I have a firearm, I tell them yes and show them my card. If asked to surrender the firearm, I will ask why, and if I do, I will make it safe and hand over an unloaded firearm. thsi has happened to me before, and they didn't seem to have an issue with it.

2) I'm guessing do as you are asked...

Quote Originally Posted by abhm View Post
    ok wait, I am a bit confused, is this the forum where people ask leo's current and former for their opinion or the part where they ask everyone?
    Okay, I seem to share your confusion.
    Sent electronically, thus not signed.

User

Quote Originally Posted by abhm View Post
    True. We will need to hammer out the logistics and rules I suspect?

easy and logical to me, if a poster wants a general opinion he or she posts it in the general discussion section, if they want a lawyers opinion there is a section for that and if they want a LEO opinion post here

User

This is the open section, where everyone can discuss issues pertaining to LE. Anyone is free to offer advice and opinions, especially people more legally inclined. Or that is, in any case, what my intention was when I requested the "Open" section.

As long as it is specific to law enforcement matters.
    Beware the killer ræbbit of Caerbannog! Look, that ræbbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide. It's a killer!!! He's got huge, sharp... eh, he can leap about... LOOK AT THE BONES!!!
    [URL]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu5sRIizdw&sns=em[/URL]

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast