User

Default Firearm licensing for 'purpose'

Now that we all appear to be on the same page re: carrying of S15 and S16 firearms (that it is entirely legal to carry a licenced weapon), can we do away with this false narrative of 'you must licence for purpose' (and this other BS that your first gun must be a S13)?

The Act says nothing at all about licencing for purpose and why not go for a S15 or S16 for a handgun if the validity is 10 years as opposed to a S13 (5 years)?

I also find S13 to be the most subjective section :
    "(2) The Registrar may issue a licence under this section to any natural person who—....(b) cannot reasonably satisfy that need by means other than the possession of a firearm." (As if the CFR is reasonable at most times)

S15 and S16 are a lot more objective, and S16 is almost certainly a sure thing (you really need some bad luck to be denied a S16 licence) - it's definitely worth joining an association and paying the annual subs.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Default Re: Firearm licensing for 'purpose'

So... the Act requires that you apply under a Section (12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20). This implies that you DO need to choose a path... notice how cleverly I avoid the word "purpose"?

You then need to motivate your application according to the Section you have chosen.

If that Section allows you to use for whatever other "lawful purpose"... good and well.

Where we have seen people fail on their applications is where they choose S13, and then go on in the motivation to talk about other uses. This just causes confusion at CFR.

Don't license under S16 and in your motivation state that you intend to use the firearm for self-defense... that is almost guaranteed to elicit a refusal.

IOW, license for purpose, but don't worry about what you use the firearms for as long as its a lawful purpose.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

User

Default Re: Firearm licensing for 'purpose'

My Section 13 renewal took nearly 2 years before the card was printed. So I scored an extra 2 years on the next expiry date, 2028. Whether or not this planet will still be orbiting the sun in 2028 is another matter.