Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast
    User

Hehe! I figured as much...

User

Quote Originally Posted by CasperC View Post
    You stand a better chance to get refused. I was informed that my appeal will do better if I do it in English. On appeal in English I got all my guns though.

CC
    I've didn't have any problems with my applications that was in Afrikaans. But I wouldn't say that it makes the process any quicker because I've also been (still) waiting a while for applications that was in Afrikaans.

User

Default Re: STICKY: Motivation Letter Ideas and Examples.

Hi,

I have two questions:

1- If you are applying for the first time - must you first apply for SD or can you apply as a Sports Shooter? What implications would a sports license have compared to SD ie. if you ever shoot an attacker with a sports licensed firearm?

2- If you are able to apply for the Sports license first, how do you motivate that you want the firearm for sports [ since you don't have the gun in the first place - to participate]?

Abird

Banned

1 - Martin Hood Addressed a similar topic on a talk show. (Hood is a lawyer specializing in Firearms law). He stated that the issue of "neccessity" will arise in court. Courts also do a "reasonable man" test. Were your actions neccessary? And were they that of a reasonable man? If yes and yes... then its no problem to use your sports gun to repel a home invasion or "house buglary" as they are called now a days

User

Ok.

But i guess one would not be allowed to carry a concealed sport licensed firearm for daily carry?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Abird View Post
    Hi,

I have two questions:

2- If you are able to apply for the Sports license first, how do you motivate that you want the firearm for sports [ since you don't have the gun in the first place - to participate]?

Abird
    The SAPS seriously cannot expect you to participate in shooting if you never had a gun to begin with. So the best is to tell them exactly what you want the gun for:

Ie:
    I need gun for IDPA stock service pistol division (insert copy of rule book into motivation). Explain all the divisions. Explain how THAT gun is suitable for THAT division. Rule book states that gun must be this or that calibre with this or that trigger system before it can used in Division X. Point this out in black and white in application. You can even join SADPA and a club and get a firearms endorsement from SADPA that states "Gun XYZ is suitable for SSP" (SSP = a division in in SADPA). Endorsements go a long way in helping.

bottom line, is that it is not a bad carreer move to EXPLICITLY state which division and discpline and class and and and..ipso facto blah blah... you wish to compete in and how you need THAT SPECIFIC gun to be able to do that.

That is what i did in my motivation. im still waiting for it to get to the comittee though.

Ps: remind me to abolish gun control once i become dictator :)

Quote Originally Posted by Abird View Post
    Ok.

But i guess one would not be allowed to carry a concealed sport licensed firearm for daily carry?
    This aspect has been debated ad nauseum. I suggest that you do a search.
    Cattle die, kindred die, every man is mortal:
    But I know one thing that never dies,
    the glory of the great dead.
    Havamal

Banned

Default Re: Ideas for Motivation Letters

Quote Originally Posted by SkoposGuns View Post
    In the absense of SAPS/CFR guidelines about the content of respective motivations, I have listed ALL the questions the CFR have provided on license applications which they refused and turned that into the positive to act as guidelines for Sec 13/15/16 license applications. This has given me my 100% track record in motivations thus far. Although your request is noble, this is my field of speciality and service delivery and I prefer to maintain them as "intellectual property". I do deliver this service at a very reasonable fee.
    The only guideline you will get from CFR is READ the Act. Most don't read it or understand what is being asked for. There is no secret or intellectual property, only money.

The Act clearly says you MUST show why other means of self defence are not sufficient, who has done that?

That aside the SAPS rejections are ludicrous and capricious to say the least. Give them any excuse or opportunity to reject or even none at all and you get a rejection you must now fight in court or go without. The appeal board just rubber stamps. The Act does to say you have to prove anything. You signature at the end says you have not made an incorrect statement. Doing so is a crime.

Why do we put up with this BS and could not be bothered to even object but will spend a fortune on help and waste weeks, months and years writing and begging for a licence? What is the purpose of this licence and the rest of the requirements?

User

Default Re: Ideas for Motivation Letters

Ok, so i now have all the paperwork, endorsement letters etc.

Here is my motivation for owning another handgun, seeing that i already have a SD licensed.

Any comments, amendments???

Motivation in support of Firearm license application:
    Name and Surname ID number

I am a 37 year old law abiding and responsible adult male who has no previous convictions or any history of violence or any such transgressions whatsoever. I have been exposed to firearms and hunting from an early age with responsible and safe gun handling principles forming the basis of my firearm ownership.
    I have been actively involved in informal shooting competitions at various shooting ranges around Gauteng due to my love of sport pistol shooting. (See attached supporting letter from “contact name, and contact details go here)
    I have formally joined an affiliated sport pistol shooting association as well, details below.
    I have elected to join a Defensive Pistol Club and I am a member of the Centurion Defensive Pistol Club, membership number ????. The CDPC is an affiliated club to the South African Defensive Pistol Association (SADPA: SAPS Accreditation: Sport 1300029, dated 8 Dec 2004), which is run under the International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) rules and regulations. Please feel free to contact the SADPA administration office, contact person “contact details and number goes here” for verification.
    I am also attaching a handgun endorsement letter from the South African Defensive Pistol Association (SADPA), SAPS accreditation: Sport 1300029, contact number (011) 462-2088.
    As a result I have decided to purchase a pistol for IDPA class sport shooting, a Glock 17 Gen4 in 9mm Parra and will be shooting in the Stock Service Pistol category (Safe Action pistol class), into which all Glocks are classified for IDPA purposes.
    This Glock pistol will be licensed under occasional hunting and/or sport-shooting until I acquire my dedicated sport-shooting status by means of competing actively in the various defensive pistol club and league competitions.
    The reason I chose this particular pistol is because it is a Tier 1 type pistol that can withstand the rigors of competition shooting and has added benefits for competition shooting, for example a grip that can accommodate various hand requirements, extra grip/fast draw and the Trijicon sights specific to defensive sport shooting due to easy sight alignment under pressure.
    The rigors of competition shooting will definitely negatively affect the effective functioning of my current self defence pistol, as it is a compact non Tier 1, pistol that will not withstand the continuous strain of competition shooting.
    This high level of wear and tear will negatively impact the reliability of my Self Defence pistol, which could be detrimental to the protection of my family in time of need and crisis.
    Except for the above mentioned reasons, my current Self Defence pistol is a Taurus PT940 .40 SW, which is a compact handgun designed for self defence and carry purposes and not competition shooting. The compact design of the Taurus is not suited for competition shooting, as the compact design hampers longer range accuracy in the competition environment. The .40 calibre is also expensive to use as a competition pistol, on average 50 rounds of .40 calibre ammunition is anything between R60 – R90 more expensive than 9mm calibre ammunition. This has a huge impact when the average competition round count of between 120 -150 rounds of ammunition per shoot is taken into account.
    The Glock 17 is a cost effective, easy to maintain, reliable pistol that is well suited for IDPA competition shooting.
    I am competent, honest and reasonable. I am a firearm owner that knows and understands the onerous responsibility that owning a firearm places upon a citizen and accept it. I believe that I am more than capable of bearing this responsibility (as I am already a licensed pistol and rifle owner, see attached copy of licenses) and therefore request that I be granted a license for the above mentioned pistol.
    I trust that I have provided enough information and that this application will be considered favourably.

Yours faithfully,
    Name and contact details go here

I dont know what type of work you do but I do a lot of on site inspection in remote areas so I placed that with photos into my letter (open fields with high grass far from anyone). Also that I have full confidence in the capabilities of the SAPS but since I am on the road a lot to remote areas they might not always be there to protect me.

I was also involved in a hostage situation so if you or any direct family member were attacked it is good to place the case number etc in there (since then I was attacked and mugged but cant put that in there now).

Note I am still waiting for my approval but I went bonkers on my motivation!

Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 ... LastLast