Thread: Cape Gun

User

Default Cape Gun

I own a BSA Cape Gun, with one 16ga barrel and one .303 Brittish barrel. I have not been able to get proper information on such guns made by BSA (maybe I did not look in the right places!) or any site or organization where I would be able to get information. I attach some pics and would appreciate any information that anyone may have on these guns. I'm sure it is not worth a fortune but it is not a bad looking piece. On the rib is written Hillsdon&Hillsdon London and Cape Town and on the sides of the action SA Gun Works, neither organization could I find any trace of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Cape Gun

Dudley, I asked one of the most knowledgeable guys in the country who came back with this response:

"I had a look at all my literature and I could not find anything useful on BSA Cape guns. I also could not find anything on SA Gun Works. I managed to find something on Hillsdon & Hillsdon, but no connection with Cape Town?
    I did find an old BSA Catalogue and an article in Boothroyds “Sidelocks & Boxlocks”
    "

User

Hi Wanderin', same here! I could trace a little bit of really not very useful info on Hillsdon & Hillsdon. The SA Gunworks I suspect may have been an importer that has since disappeared. Barry Berkovitch certainly does not mention any such arms dealer. I have no idea just how old the gun is and can find very little in the way of history of BSA Arms. I have seen a few very similar arms, although s/s shotguns, for sale on US sites. Would be nice to trace the origins and history of the gun, though. Thanks for the reply!

User

Try and send some pics to Holts on their website they might be able to help you. http://www.holtsauctioneers.com/

Or get into contact with Classic Arms and see if they might have more info for you on this specific firearm. http://www.classicarms.co.za/

I think someone there should be able to point you in the right direction.

Please advise if you find out any history of the firearm and maybe a value.

User

Thanks Black-Ops. I will try and see if they can help.

User

Heh. A decade later and I have just come across a very similar gun. Also Hillsdon & Hillsdon, also SA Gun Works, also .303 and 16 gauge. But external hammers.

And looks like friend Dudley did not stay to become a regular member.

Anywayz, just putting it out there.