Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    User

Question Spyderco Pacific Salt Vs Spyderco Endura 4

Hi all!

Looking for opinions.

I've done some reading through the forums and see the Spyderco Endura 4 ( www.have2have.co.za/product/Spyderco-Endura-4-Folding-Plain-Edge-FRN-Knife/94449/ ) is a frequently mentioned folder. How does this knife compare to the Spyderco Pacific Salt ( www.have2have.co.za/product/Spyderco-Pacific-Salt-Rust-Free-Plain-Edge-Knife-Black/101431/ ) ? Looking for a knife to carry with me hiking/fishing/work etc. This is why I was looking at the Pacific Salt ("Rust-free" in Durban would be nice), which appears to be simmilar in profile to the Endura 4 commonly used for EDC/SD.

Pacific Salt for EDC?

Whats your opinion?

Thanks in advance.

User

Default Re: Spyderco Pacific Salt Vs Spyderco Endura 4

Both are great knives Errol500. Endura's are a good carry option but I think what you are going to need to decide is whether the serrated edge or smooth edge will suit what you normally do with an EDC knife. Do you cut boxes/paper a lot? Or use more fine point work? Ropes?

Or why not carry both knives? I carry a Civilian for SD with a non-serrrated Native or Cold Steel AK-47 for EDC.

User

Thanks for the input Lithium.

I've been puzzling over the plain/serrated blade issue. Reading through GS, and the interwebs, has me no closer to deciding.
    Ropes, rubber tubing, the odd steak and a bunch of random materials will likely be cut. Not much in terms of point work/paper/boxes.

Between those two the VG-10 blade will give you a good balanced steel between edge holding and corrosion resistance.

I have a second hand Endura 4 that still functions great. It has a bit of extra weight due to the steel liners.

The Pacific with H1 I would recommend getting in Serrated. H1 steel has a higher Rockwell hardness in the serrated models then the plain edge models due to the manufacturing process resulting in better edge retention.

H1 in plain edge is not really that impressive and you will have to get your sharpening skills in order to get the best out of the steel.

The Pacific does not have steel liners, so it is VERY light weight and I like that about it. It is closer to the Endura 3.

Both are great, one has a bit of added weight with a good balanced steel in plain edge. The other is very light weight, less clip options but the blade in plain edge is not that great IMO.

User

Thanks Marthinus, useful info!
    Much appreciated.

I ordered a Atlantic Salt in Yellow for a safety knife to carry on my jacket, around water and when traveling and I pray never for any other rescue things. I really like H1, but want to give it a try in Serrations as well and the Atlantic looks like a great tool to have.

User

I have a serrated H1 that I carry when on the beach and I have been in the sea with it numerous times. H1 steel really works very very well in that environment and requires no maintenance - I only rinse and clean my knife once I am back home.

User

Good to hear! That's what I'm looking for.

Here she is:

User

Nice!
    I ended up ordering the Pacific Salt with serrated edge.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast