Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I need some help from you boys....

Hi there.

I am in the market for a new self defence pistol, and I was wondering what you guys would recommend... I am an avid BlackPowder shooter, and I own a nice collection of these, but no nitro guns. Thus, I have no knowledge concerning "nitro"-pistols at all.

1. Yes, i am a girl.
    2. I need to be able to protect my young son as well as my mother when my husband is away at work.
    3. I need something a little bit lighter than my husband's CZ75. This is a bit too big and bulky and I am afraid I might be clumsy if push comes to shove and I do need to use it.
    4. I don't want a revolver, I dislike te idea of having only 5or6 shots when in need of self defence.
    5. I need to be able to easily conceal the weapon, as the CZ75 is a bit big to do this.

I would love to hear your opinions on the matter of a self defence gun for a lady.

Sands.

User

Kahr.

Look at the Glock 19 or the S&W M&P line in 9mm. Compact size pistols (and the full size M&P comes very close since it falls between the G17 and G19 in size) are much easier to shoot well than smaller models while holding more ammunition and still being concealable without too much effort for most shooters. Holsters, magazines and parts are also available in SA for these pistols...not always the case with some other makes.

Also, read this...

http://www.gunsite.co.za/forums/showthread.php?t=672
    Last edited by ikor; 06-01-2010 at 16:33.
    Run Fast, Bite Hard!

User

S&W M&P 9mm Compact

User

Quote Originally Posted by THOMAST View Post
    Kahr.
    Spares , service, mags,

Sands,

IMO Glock or M&P and I will take a bet the M&P grip is going to fit your hands better.

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Thumbs up

Much as I hammer the plastic fantastic for all sorts of shortcomings I would have no hesitation at all in recommending you get a Glock. I truly believe the Glock has all you require for self defence purposes.

As to calibre I would motivate for 'bigger is better', as I always do (you KNOW size DOES count, don't you?). My wife is very happy with her Glock 36 in 45ACP (she carries it daily and even shoots it in IDPA cometition), but maybe you'd like a few more caps, so the Model 30 is a nice compromise with 10+1.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Quote Originally Posted by ikor View Post
    Look at the Glock 19 or the S&W M&P line in 9mm.
    What this wise gentlemen said (notice I didn't say old?!)
    Because a thing seems difficult to you, do not think it impossible for anyone to accomplish - Marcus Aurelius

User

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Much as I hammer the plastic fantastic for all sorts of shortcomings I would have no hesitation at all in recommending you get a Glock. I truly believe the Glock has all you require for self defence purposes.

As to calibre I would motivate for 'bigger is better', as I always do (you KNOW size DOES count, don't you?). My wife is very happy with her Glock 36 in 45ACP (she carries it daily and even shoots it in IDPA cometition), but maybe you'd like a few more caps, so the Model 30 is a nice compromise with 10+1.
    On this issue it needs to be said that there are a lot of experienced and knowledgeable people who are of the opinion that there is not enough in the 9mmP, 40S&W AND 45ACP caliber differences to amount to much.

Much more important is shot placement and the ability to shoot the pistol and caliber you choose, well.

there are also a lot of experienced people who are of the opinion that greater magazine capacity is better.

User

I'm with Khumba here. Get a high capacity 9mm that fits your hands comfortably, and practice with it so that you can send the rounds where they count.
    A roaring Lion kills no game

on the edge of the gene pool, playing with an open container of HTH

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Khumba View Post
    On this issue it needs to be said that there are a lot of experienced and knowledgeable people who are of the opinion that there is not enough in the 9mmP, 40S&W AND 45ACP caliber differences to amount to much.

Much more important is shot placement and the ability to shoot the pistol and caliber you choose, well.

there are also a lot of experienced people who are of the opinion that greater magazine capacity is better.
    Deon, this is a race that is far from over (IMHO). People have been dancing around various tests and 'stopping power' gobbledygook for so long that it has muddied the waters considerably. Surely shot placement is of critical importance in the sense that loud, fast noises never hurt anyone (or for the max capacity brigade: LOTS of loud, fast noises never hurt anyone. The inability to deliver the projectile to the point where it can do the most good renders the entire debate meaningless. In this sense, then, a 45 is more than just the size of the hole at the sharp end of the pistol.

This being said, there are a small number of people with a great deal of very pertinent experience who reach for their 45s when they need a secondary weapon, or when their secondary becomes their primary. Me? I choose to lay some store by their experience.
    "Always remember to pillage before you burn"
    Unknown Barbarian

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast