Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    User

Default Re: Someone got the dreaded smokepole bug

Yip the casulls are thin capper jacket bullets and they are more accurate for me than the 370gr Maxi. But a 40m it could be costly if you hunt. This weekend use my .50 cal T/C impact with 90gr SDX multi grade and the .454 casulls which went through the Blackwildebeast. Rib-lung-heart-lung-Rib. The beast was open when i shot but, it could have been a expensive trip if any other beast were behind the bull. Hope all of us can learn from the experiance.IMG_4671.jpg

My friend shot with a .50 cal Lyman Trade Rifle 85gr SDX and the 370gr Maxi also about the same distance and his bullet stop against the skin and we could retreive it. It hardly was disformed and one could almost reload it again.IMG_4654.jpg

All and all it was a greart weekend for our first Muzzleloading hunt and we gained some respect from our fellow hunters who by the way missed one shot with a scoped .308 at 120 m. HeHe.

User

Nice one Burgert. What do those casulls weigh? Ive been told not to use those pistol bullets cause their meant for slower velocities and will "explode" on impact or flatten with the higher velocities. Does not seem to be the case as you got complete penetration. No meat wasted?

User

I use a 300gr casull. It just ran right through the beast. Have no meat damage at all just two broken ribs. the gap in rib at the excit side was 1cm. So i presume it did expand a bit. I would lik to know the "wetenskap" behind statement made to u. Was this tested in a Lab or actually used and experience in hunting? Now i will have to go hunting again to prove this might not be the case. I guess my velocity was around 1400 fps may a bit faster but not sure. Will be trying some other bullets for smaller game like blessie and rooibok. I will test the casulls with higher loads over 100m.

User

With a .454 diameter bullet I think its already a big enough hole no need for expanding, this should work nice on springbuck/blesbuck especialy if youre taking longer shots. Will have to get me some from Frontier.

User

Congrats! Nice shooting

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3